Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 08:16 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is a later theological position, the first Christians actually thought heaven was beyond the solar system.

But when science proved that idea wrong, the Christians had to invent a new excuse.
Did "the first christians" even know about the solar system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 08:24 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They knew of most all the planets, Abraham was the father of astrology, so it is believed. When Galilee Galileo saw the rings of Saturn, he was convinced they were moons, and then one day as he was watching, the moons disappeared.

Well, that was a lot of years later, still a cool story, but they did know of planets.

I have opinions, but whether they knew of the solar system is a different question I suppose.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 06-22-2023 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 08:51 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
The bible has its Mazzeroth, its own astrology.

Its amazing just how much other pagan beliefs had the same concepts of the constellations with orion running his course and the 7 sisters to where you can find very many links to other beliefs. In my opinion, even the Myans are linked with Egyptians and Hebrews with their belief in the stars, and a common link with Noah where Noah has many names telling the same flood story about a lone survivor and his family.

Jupiter was the kingship planet that when you saw other planets and constellations in conjunction with Jupiter, it was always omens, and when the planets lined up in a straight line, it was believed to be a plumbline that frightened people and nations.

There is also an opinion that the star of Bethlehem was depicted on a coin concerning their belief that Jupiter was the kingship planet because of their long held belief in what the planets symbolised.

Now I dont know if its true about the coin, I have read a lot of opinions, and 3 of them gave very compelling arguments, but they had a whole science of belief in the planets.

Jupiter’s occultation (eclipse) of Aries in 6 B.C.,

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 04-19-2024 at 02:50 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 09:08 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Yes, they could see 5 planets, plus the sun and moon, so they knew something was 'up there'. They may have not known how it was arranged, although heliocentrism was known before Christianity began, but they certainly knew about some sort of solar system 'up there', as they believed in the seven heavens that matched each of the sphere associated with the 5 planets, sun and moon. Paul even mentions going to the third heaven.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I certainly don't. Where did that idea come from anyway, and how did that idea start? Does the old man have a white beard and look like Charlton Heston who played Moses in the movies? I think God is energy
Well...things "exist" in different ways.
Concepts exist, thoughts exist, ideas exist, etc...and material things exist. Inanimate and animate things exist.
A standard ploy by some Anti-Religionists, is to demand "proof" of the material existence of some believed in God Entity...and claim that if they can't, it effectively invalidates their Theology.
For Example: They will take some artistic depictions of the Biblical Deity Jehovah, and demand that the Believers of Christian Theology show evidence to prove that there is actually some bearded old man that dwells up in the sky somewhere, with a bunch of harp-playing, naked, chubby, winged babies flying around him...as he calls the shots on what happens to people and the celestial bodies (mainly the Earth), as per whatever his volatile attitude is at the time. And, furthermore, if they can't...it proves their Theology and the related Books are >insert ad hominem<.

The idea of "God" as a "Old Man living in the Sky"...came about from the thoughts in the minds of various artistic individuals, that then drew, painted, molded, or carved such depictions from said artistic conceptualizations they had.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
No.

A heliocentric solar system with a spherical Earth and northern and southern hemispheres were known for millennium. After the Sumerians disappeared, science sort of crapped out even though Sumerian was still the lingua franca for science for nearly 1500 years for the same reason German was the lingua franca of math and science for centuries. Both are agglutinative languages and you can make new words to describe new things and concepts by adding words together.

The Hebrew texts banned astronomy/astrology but then the first x-tians weren't Hebrews, they were Greeks.

Unfortunately by that time, it was the Flat Earth-centric system that the Imperial Roman Catholic Church rammed down everyone's throats for 1,000+ years on penalty of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
They knew of most all the planets, Abraham was the father of astrology, so it is believed.
No one with any knowledge believes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Its amazing just how much other pagan beliefs had the same concepts of the constellations with orion running his course and the 7 sisters to where you can find very many links to other beliefs.
And they believed those things 1,000s of years before Abram/Abraham existed, and 1,000s of years before the Hebrews decided to choose Yahweh as their national god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am Brahmin. Born and been one all my life.
Yes, of course you are. Perhaps you and Mystic should consider marriage.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:59 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No.

What an odd response. Shows how ill informed you are. Drilling the internet produces half baked knowledge. Like this. I warned you.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:14 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Thank you for that...made me laugh out loud!

Old 06-22-2023, 03:40 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am Brahmin. Born and been one all my life. So you personally know no purpose for lucid dreaming.
The purpose I discovered was to control the content in the altered dream state which became my test for what was from my subconscious while in altered states and what was real. Anything I encountered or experienced during an altered state that I could NOT change or alter, I "knew" it was real (NOT Maya).

Old 06-22-2023, 04:03 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The purpose I discovered was to control the content in the altered dream state which became my test for what was from my subconscious while in altered states and what was real. Anything I encountered or experienced during an altered state that I could NOT change or alter, I "knew" it was real (NOT Maya).
What is causing you to have these altered states? If it isn’t drugs, then what is causing it? Schizophrenia? Some other serious mental health disorder? I’m genuinely worried about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality