Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:47 PM

19,066 posts, read 27,642,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is there a purpose to this?

Lucid dreaming means we become conscious of the fact that we are dreaming, even while still involved in the dream. We can also sometimes exert some control over events in the dream. In the same way, we can become conscious of the fact that we are dreaming during this life span of ours, and we can also exert control over the events in our life by taking to the process of Krishna consciousness, and engaging in activities that are actually of the soul, not the body, and therefore real, and of lasting value. If we do that, then we will not be wasting our valuable human life wandering around simply dreaming, and thinking all the while that it is real.

Hare Krishna

Navasi

https://www.krishna.com/blog/2010/07/2/lucid-dreaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 08:48 PM

2,688 posts, read 1,197,141 times
My guess is the long white beard and hair was chosen to sell products. It looks more heavenly and in a way resembles Santa Claus.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:35 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,800,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
Nobody does its just an insult thrown out by a non believer to ridicule those who do believe and should be seen that way.Its not worth anyone's time.
The imagined depictions of Christ/god/holy spirit in the US anyway, like pictures, key chains, children's bibles, crucifixes, or any other christian paraphernalia for sale always had a white Jesus with long hair.

Maybe not anymore because that would be offensive, of course, but for years and years and years the image of Jesus was portrayed as a white man.

The religious created those types of images, not non-believers. Are you saying that as a christian you have never seen a 'graven' image of Jesus? That's right, I said 'graven'. The very thing that your good book warns against.

Quote:
Exodus 20:4
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."
See the contradiction? The crucifix, religious statues.....the list goes on and on of christian idols. Those things are the very graven images that this scripture is speaking of!! So before slinging the christian created mess onto non-believers, do your homework.

It is my opinion the bible is worshipped. May I remind you it has been interpreted and reinterpreted many times by MEN, not by a god. Very disturbed men. Revelation is written proof of that.

Because of this 2000 year old book and others, nearly all of the world's population has been duped by one religion or the other. It baffles me how people can't see through this worldwide deception.

But that's where logic and reason come into play. That does not exist in hardly any religion.

Last edited by Northsouth; 06-21-2023 at 09:47 PM..

Old 06-21-2023, 11:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
The spiritual realm exist along side the physical realm not up in the sky sitting on clouds.
That is a later theological position, the first Christians actually thought heaven was beyond the solar system.

But when science proved that idea wrong, the Christians had to invent a new excuse.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:01 AM

551 posts, read 193,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ask gurus and bramins, that spend years, honing the skill of lucid dreaming.
When I was practicing lucid dreaming I used a forum for lucid dreaming as a resource and one of the mods practiced dream yoga and actually gave online classes for members periodically. On another site for spiritual discussion one of the members had been practicing what he called conscious sleeping and I gathered from his description it was a lot like dream yoga.

So yeah, exploration of the dream world is not all that uncommon in some spiritual circles.

https://www.lionsroar.com/waking-up-...of-a-lifetime/

Buddhist practitioners have understood for centuries that the illusions we encounter in dreams are the same ones we encounter in waking life. Andrew Holecek shows us how to harness the Vajrayana techniques of dream yoga in order to wake up to reality.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is there a purpose to this?
A purpose to lucid dreaming? Sure, there are many purpose, both secular and spiritual. For me and at the time I was practicing it was purely secular. Entertainment. Excitement. Fantasy.

Now that I look back I'm glad I dropped the practice before I got too deep because my intention was egocentric.

https://www.lionsroar.com/waking-up-...of-a-lifetime/

However, lucid dreaming alone will not wake you up in the spiritual sense. If you merely indulge your fantasies, lucid dreaming becomes super-samsara. When intention is involved, even at the level of a dream, karma is created. Lucid dreams are not karmically neutral. If you want to go deeper, lucid dreaming can develop into dream yoga, which is when it becomes a spiritual practice. While lucid dreams can create negative karma, dream yoga is designed to purify it. “Yoga” is that which yokes, or unites. Dream yoga is designed to unite you with deeper aspects of your being and is more concerned with self-transcendence.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:55 AM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ask gurus and bramins, that spend years, honing the skill of lucid dreaming.
I am Brahmin. Born and been one all my life. So you personally know no purpose for lucid dreaming.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:04 AM

16,002 posts, read 7,052,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

I must say your more recent posts (especially between you and Phet) are not at all like you and do not speak well of your Advaita devotion. IMO.

First my apology about the remark about drugs. That was uncalled for even if I did not understand the import of your post.
As to the bolded, why?

Advaita is knowledge, not devotion.
This is a discussion forum and all are opinions. Mine no more or less than yours or anybody else's.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:16 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am tired of your constant attempts to imply my experiences were the result of some substance or drug! I have NEVER used any such substance. I value my intellect too much to ever risk interfering with its function.
If that’s true, why are you so convinced you have directly encountered God (or whatever you want to call it)?

Old 06-22-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If that’s true, why are you so convinced you have directly encountered God (or whatever you want to call it)?
From my perspective he encountered what he truly is. What we all truly are. Call it God but the label is only that- a label constructed by mind. Something mind can grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality