Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 04:09 PM

551 posts, read 192,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What is causing you to have these altered states? If it isn’t drugs, then what is causing it? Schizophrenia? Some other serious mental health disorder? I’m genuinely worried about you.
Gotta flip it around. Waking reality is an altered state as is dream reality. Deep and dreamless sleep and the deepest meditative states are about as close to an unaltered state of being we can attain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 04:12 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Gotta flip it around. Waking reality is an altered state as is dream reality. Deep and dreamless sleep and deep meditation are about as close to an unaltered state of being we can attain.
Not sure I understand what you’re saying. I guess that’s a whole different topic.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:20 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
What is causing you to have these altered states? If it isn’t drugs, then what is causing it? Schizophrenia? Some other serious mental health disorder? I’m genuinely worried about you.
Dry your crocodile tears, Freak. I have no mental disorders. Rigorous meditation practice for 18+ years in my youth was the initial trigger. It is not easy to get into the deeper altered states although the generally beneficial ones are relatively easy to achieve. I can enter the easy states within five minutes. The deeper states are beyond me these days. I have never lost contact with the initial encounter and I call it quantum entanglement. (Christians would say Jesus and the Father are with me as promised.) In any case, I know what God is like to my satisfaction. God exists, is beyond verbal description, and is quite awesome, but there is nothing to fear for any reason, IMO.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:36 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have no mental disorders. Rigorous meditation practice for 18+ years in my youth was the initial trigger. It is not easy to get into the deeper altered states although the generally beneficial ones are relatively easy to achieve. I can enter the easy states within five minutes. The deeper states are beyond me these days. I have never lost contact with the initial encounter and I call it quantum entanglement.
What kind of meditation are you doing that would cause you to lose contact with reality? It doesn’t sound healthy.

Quantum entanglement is a physics term. It has nothing to do with meditation or religion.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:37 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Dry your crocodile tears, Freak. I have no mental disorders. Rigorous meditation practice for 18+ years in my youth was the initial trigger. It is not easy to get into the deeper altered states although the generally beneficial ones are relatively easy to achieve. I can enter the easy states within five minutes. The deeper states are beyond me these days. I have never lost contact with the initial encounter and I call it quantum entanglement. (Christians would say Jesus and the Father are with me as promised.) In any case, I know what God is like to my satisfaction. God exists, is beyond verbal description, and is quite awesome, but there is nothing to fear for any reason, IMO.
Quote:
What kind of meditation are you doing that would cause you to lose contact with reality? It doesn’t sound healthy.

Quantum entanglement is a physics term. It has nothing to do with meditation or religion.
I haven't lost contact with Reality. Quite the opposite. I have spent decades acquiring the knowledge of our Reality as best we can discern it with our science and I am quite confident in my extrapolations from it. Our consciousness is our real Self but it exists at the level of quanta divorced from this macro level of physical existence. God is not an old man in the sky. God's Cosmic consciousness establishes our entire Reality.

It is not at all strange that our burgeoning consciousness can achieve quantum entanglement with God through meditation or prayer. We experience our consciousness secondhand as it forms and is captured by the brain. We live our low-energy physical existence as its "delayed playback" through the "transceiver" of the brain. I would suggest that your paltry knowledge of the actual quantum composition of Reality is the confusing factor in your case.

Old 06-22-2023, 09:58 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,798,240 times
Quote:
I haven't lost contact with Reality. Quite the opposite. I have spent decades acquiring the knowledge of our Reality as best we can discern it with our science and I am quite confident in my extrapolations from it. Our consciousness is our real Self but it exists at the level of quanta divorced from this macro level of physical existence. God is not an old man in the sky. God's Cosmic consciousness establishes our entire Reality.

It is not at all strange that our burgeoning consciousness can achieve quantum entanglement with God through meditation or prayer. We experience our consciousness secondhand as it forms and is captured by the brain. We live our low-energy physical existence as its "delayed playback" through the "transceiver" of the brain. I would suggest that your paltry knowledge of the actual quantum composition of Reality is the confusing factor in your case.
All religions have complete certainty, if they didn't it wouldn't be much of a religion. They may have doubts but that doesn't equal non-belief. Not that you are religious, just spiritual. I get it. I do. But Mystic, you must realize how this sounds?

mys·ti·cism
noun
belief that union with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender.
"St. Theresa's writings were part of the tradition of Christian mysticism"
belief characterized by self-delusion or dreamy confusion of thought, especially when based on the assumption of occult qualities or mysterious agencies.
"there is a hint of New Age mysticism in the show's title"

"Spirituality and religion can be hard to tell apart but there are some pretty defined differences between the two. Religion is a specific set of organised beliefs and practices, usually shared by a community or group. Spirituality is more of an individual practice and has to do with having a sense of peace and purpose."

I feel that your way may be self-centering, but that's BECAUSE you are a structured person and you don't need someone to tell you what to do and how to do it. IOW, you don't need to be babysat by religion. I don't think you need the fantasy of mysticism, because you have enough strength and resolve to do it all on your own. That's what is happening anyway.

There are two definitions of mysticism, I assume you are the latter? LOL jk. If that were true, you would HAVE to be religious.

Old 06-23-2023, 02:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What an odd response. Shows how ill informed you are.
I'm not ill-informed.

The Brahman is pure knowledge, ergo the Brahman cannot be ignorant and ignorance cannot exist within the Brahman, therefore you cannot be the Brahman.

In the alternative, the Kali Yuga has ended and thus the day of the Brahman has ended, and we have entered the night of the Brahman. No life can exist in the night of the Brahman, and the texts so state, yet we exist, ergo the Brahman cannot exist.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:51 PM

15,976 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm not ill-informed.

The Brahman is pure knowledge, ergo the Brahman cannot be ignorant and ignorance cannot exist within the Brahman, therefore you cannot be the Brahman.

In the alternative, the Kali Yuga has ended and thus the day of the Brahman has ended, and we have entered the night of the Brahman. No life can exist in the night of the Brahman, and the texts so state, yet we exist, ergo the Brahman cannot exist.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You are a dangerous thing.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:18 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
What is it like to be in one of these altered states? About the altered state I've ever been in is a drunken one.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:15 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You are a dangerous thing.
Sometimes even with a lot of knowledge a person is a dangerous thing. I won't complete my thought on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality