Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 04:45 AM

12,047 posts, read 6,598,667 times

Advertisements

This thread is the first time I’ve heard of Spong.
I’m curious if he ever mentioned having a personal relationship with Jesus or ever experiencing God.
It seems from the information cited here he became an atheist due to the problems with organized religion and his only actual relationship was with organized religion and it’s intellectual arguments on dogma and literal interpretations via humans — nothing of an actual “spiritual “ quest or nature.
Am I wrong in this?

Old 08-01-2023, 06:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Says the guy who continues to see an insult in mere disagreement and does not even believe in the agape love in his wrathful God!
Calling the beliefs of others barbaric and primitive over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again isn't just simple disagreement. It's someone who thinks of himself as better than those he views as primitive and barbaric.

You're not doing a very good job of demonstrating agape love to others on this forum. If you think that's what Christianity is about, you're failing miserably

Old 08-01-2023, 07:00 AM

51,007 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Calling the beliefs of others barbaric and primitive over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again isn't just simple disagreement. It's someone who thinks of himself as better than those he views as primitive and barbaric.

You're not doing a very good job of demonstrating agape love to others on this forum. If you think that's what Christianity is about, you're failing miserably
So you don't look down on any religious beliefs around the world?

Old 08-01-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you don't look down on any religious beliefs around the world?
I don't make a habit of calling other beliefs primitive and barbaric.

I do disagree, and I will say so, but no, I don't think you're primitive and barbaric because you're wrong.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I don't make a habit of calling other beliefs primitive and barbaric.

I do disagree, and I will say so, but no, I don't think you're primitive and barbaric because you're wrong.
I notice you didn't actually answer the question. And I notice you used a couched phrase -- "I don't make a habit..."

Old 08-01-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I notice you didn't actually answer the question. And I notice you used a couched phrase -- "I don't make a habit..."
Define "look down on other religions", please. I don't believe I do, but I think you will probably tell me I do.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Define "look down on other religions", please. I don't believe I do, but I think you will probably tell me I do.
You don't understand what the phrase "look down on" means? Squirm.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:19 AM

63,953 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:

Try to understand this simple concept, BF. You can only be insulted by what is directed specifically toward YOU. You can NOT CHOOSE yourself into an insult indirectly. Our ancestors' beliefs were primitive and barbaric. That is simply a FACT. Whether or not you believe them does not make you a target of an insult!

Old 08-01-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You don't understand what the phrase "look down on" means? Squirm.
Not necessarily how YOU define it, no.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Try to understand this simple concept, BF. You can only be insulted by what is directed specifically toward YOU. You can NOT CHOOSE yourself into an insult indirectly. Our ancestors' beliefs were primitive and barbaric. That is simply a FACT. Whether or not you believe them does not make you a target of an insult!
I'm telling you that it is insulting. If you wish to be Mr. Agape Love, I'd suggest you stop. Do you really want to show Agape love or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality