Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acecombat View Post
We have NO CLUE about how we came to be. i sometimes get the feeling that this whole world isnt real, reality and all. There is too much evil going on in the world. I wish someone could help us.
Please take a moment to think about what you said in your post. I did. You sound very depressed. Dangerously depressed.

Something triggered your impulse to make this statement here. You must have known that it was not going to be well received, but you posted it anyway. I am sure you really are looking for answers to questions that nobody in your immediate circle of friends or family can give you. This is not the right way to ask for help, but I can see it for what it is.

Seek medical attention. Tell your doctor you are having unsettling thoughts and feel that the world isn't real. Tell your doctor what you posted here. He'll know how to refer you for further help. There is medication that can help you think more clearly and reduce your anxiety.

Last edited by AliceT; 06-01-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:23 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
God is timeless and is not bound by the scope of time as we humans know. All scientists agree time is computed and created by light.

I have a question for you. Most scientists theororize that the universe and time began with the big bang, but they fail to dicuss what happened before the big bang, and what elements caused the big bang. They have no clue and won't even try to figure it out. Many agree some form of a creator must have been in play prior to the big bang as no other explanation works.
This completely untrue. Scientists (cosmologists, specifically) discuss and research all the time about what happened before the big bang. The big argument is over whether there is enough mass in our universe to cause it to eventually collapse in on itself and contract into a super black hole then explode in another big bang (i.e., the eternal cyclical universes) or if it does not have enough mass and will expand forever and forever. The latter means that there can only be one big bang and begs the question of what happened before. The first answers the question of what happened before - another universe - and what happens after - another universe.

The search for dark matter is at the root of this debate. Most scientists believe there must enough matter to cause the cyclical universe because that is the only thing that really makes sense about the origins. But without the hypothetical dark matter, there isn't enough known matter in the universe to cause the eventual collapse of this universe. I believe recently, proof of dark matter was found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
According to most religous beliefs, God always has been and always will be. God has no beggining, nor an end. Hard to grasp in our human mind set, but I believe this to be true. We are held by the bounds of "time" created by light. God is not.
If this were true, then it follows that god = dark matter.

I think you do not understand the properties of light, energy, and matter. Light does not "create time."

Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Light does not "create time."
Nor is it subject to it

Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I know that God exists, and so do a lot of others. You can know, but in order to know you have to have faith. Experiencing IS believing.
Just like Hindus 'know' that Annapurna, Balrama, Bhuvaneshwari, Brahma, Buddha, Dhanwantari, Dhumavati, Durga, Ganga, Ganesha, Garuda, Hanuman, Indra, Kali, Kartikay, Krishna, Kurma, Lakshmi, Matangi, Maya, Ram, Saraswati, Shakti, Shiva, Sita, Vamana and Vishnu all exist? You know that they don't exist but Hindus know that they do exist. One of you is wrong. Which is it and how do you know?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM

43 posts, read 38,929 times
Quote:
To some extent making predictions and then deeming them as having come to pass is a stretch. I'll give you that. But as someone who is on the fence about religious beliefs, even I can assure you that many prophecies in the bible have come to pass.
Please name some, along with the verses that pertain to those events - clearly and concisely without having to use creative interpretation to make them fit.

Quote:
The reformation of the nation of Isreal is a specific prophecy no entity could have predicted accurately over 2000 years ago.
Any conquered group will "prophesise" that their nation will exist again one day. After the American Civil War, many said "the South will rise again!". Let's say 200 years from now there is anothe civial war and the South becomes an independant nation. Does that mean that the "prophecy" of the earlier statements was a valid prediction of this coming about? I don't think so. It was just wishful thinking and coincidence.

Quote:
Also, many social ills we see about the world today were predicted.
There's no social ills today that haven't existed for ages. You just hear about them more today due to modern information technology. Most of the so called "ills" is hysteria propagated by Xians who are sore that more people are seeing their religion for the sillyness that it is.

Quote:
I do however completely agree with you, that many of the other so-called prophecies that religious leaders claim to have happened, are subject to individual interpretation. The nation of Isreal coupled with surrounding events predicted by its re-formation does give some credence to the bible.

I suppose it could be just a coincidence.
Coincidence is exactly what it is, assuming it has happened at all.

Considering the abundant errors and contradiction in The Bible, a few lucky quesses from obscure "prophesies" isn't going to help much in lending it any credibility.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:12 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Just like Hindus 'know' that Annapurna, Balrama, Bhuvaneshwari, Brahma, Buddha, Dhanwantari, Dhumavati, Durga, Ganga, Ganesha, Garuda, Hanuman, Indra, Kali, Kartikay, Krishna, Kurma, Lakshmi, Matangi, Maya, Ram, Saraswati, Shakti, Shiva, Sita, Vamana and Vishnu all exist? You know that they don't exist but Hindus know that they do exist. One of you is wrong. Which is it and how do you know?
There is one God and the 1st of His ten commandments is:

Exodus 20
"You shall have no other gods before me."

All throughout the Bible and history people have worshipped idols and god like myths created by men. Being that it is the very first of God's 10 commandments, I'd say it's a very serious and deadly sin against God.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord
Quote:

Exodus 20
Then why is this commandment necessary if there is only 1 God?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM

123 posts, read 303,908 times
But sports athletes have nothing but gods against the supreme creator. To them it is like a love affaire.

There used to be bumper sticker. 'Do not love the Creation; love the Creator.' I fake, but that is the fourth commandment.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM

43 posts, read 38,929 times
Quote:
All throughout the Bible and history people have worshipped idols and god like myths created by men.
Yepper, and that includes Yahweh/Jehovah who were based off earlier myths. And let's not forget Mithra and Horus, the gods that the Jesus myth was based off of, almost word for word.
Quote:
Being that it is the very first of God's 10 commandments, I'd say it's a very serious and deadly sin against God.
Well, it's the 1st commandment of a god in a book written by men who worshiped that certain god, but it certainly cannot take any claims of validity over any other deity.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
Quote:

Exodus 20

All throughout the Bible and history people have worshipped idols and god like myths created by men. Being that it is the very first of God's 10 commandments, I'd say it's a very serious and deadly sin against God.
Not for Hindus though because they 'know' that the Christian form of god doesn't exist. You know otherwise though. One of you is wrong and quoting Bible scriptures doesn't show anything other than that you can read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality