Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: personal remarks Homosexuality is not a choice.

ScienceDaily (Jun. 18, 2008) — Swedish researchers have found that some physical attributes of the homosexual brain resemble those found in the opposite sex, according to an article published online (June 16) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Symmetry Of Homosexual Brain Resembles That Of Opposite Sex, Swedish Study Finds

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-19-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 258,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Moderator cut: personal remarks Homosexuality is not a choice.

ScienceDaily (Jun. 18, 2008) — Swedish researchers have found that some physical attributes of the homosexual brain resemble those found in the opposite sex, according to an article published online (June 16) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Symmetry Of Homosexual Brain Resembles That Of Opposite Sex, Swedish Study Finds
Nope - I've addressed your article in an earlier post. Moderator cut: orphaned comment

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-19-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreb View Post
Nope - I've addressed your article in an earlier post. We don't need to throw names around either sanspeur.
You are holding to your opinion that it is a choice and disregarding the evidence to the contrary...Ok then...Wait a minute here...You expressed is as a fact not an opinion...Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Alpha8207; 06-19-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM

82 posts, read 258,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are holding to your opinion that it is a choice and disregarding the evidence to the contrary...Ok then...Wait a minute here...You expressed is as a fact not an opinion...Does that not make you bigoted?
The "fact" that there are "some physical attributes of the homosexual brain resemble those found in the opposite sex" does not prove a thing. Your brain develops through adolescence. Even the article does not make the causal reference that you state is fact.

It would not make me any more bigoted than you if we're talking in terms of acceptance of one another's opinion.

NIMH · Teenage Brain: A work in progress (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/teenage-brain-a-work-in-progress.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-19-2008, 10:08 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
While both sides of this debate may feel the other is bigoted, let's keep the name calling and labels out of the posts, OK?

This is a warning, gang.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 318,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I see. So a "loving God" has "allowed" gay people to be born with the desire for relationships with same sex partners, yet unlike their straight counterparts, they are not allowed to give in to these desires. Unlike their straight counterparts, they are expected to live a life of self-sacrifice, devoid of romantic love and companionship in order to avoid sinning against this same god who "allowed' them to be born with these desires in the first place.

Well, that makes perfect sense. Glad we straightened that out.
You conveniently left out the fact that in the Christian worldview, people are sinners by nature. Read Romans 1. God gives people over to their desires as they continue to reject the knowledge he has given them.

God calls straight people as well to not give in to their desires until marriage, which many "Christians" are not obeying very well. I think that is just as wrong as homosexuality or whatever other sin you think of.

BTW, in the Christian worldview, God's glory and honor is more important than fulfilling my desires, whether they are good or bad. Do you think that people ever have the desire to steal or murder? Do you think they should just give in to those desires? I could be wrong, but I am sure I have heard of studies done on criminals in prison, showing they have different genetic and biological material than the normal person. Should they be able to be mass murderers just because of their desires?

Oh wait, thats is not "good" for the rest of humanity, so that is wrong, right?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
So sometimes God wires people wrong?
I think that is a false inference from what I said.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Gay people are going to hell is what I hear alot. All the gays in one burning hot place being tortured by their own desires.

OOOhhhhh.....Hell is the White Party in Phoneix

Sorry -- just felt the need to inject some humor into the thread and lighten it up a little.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
And yet, you claim to know what he means to say re: homosexuality, despite no first hand knowledge (hearing it from a primary source) and despite your secondary source (the Christian Bible) being at best a translation, and a worst a really bad translation.
Since when does partial knowledge mean no knowledge? I can have partial, true knowledge, and yet not be omniscient. No one knows anything if it is the case that you must know everything to know anything truly.

Quote:
And no doubt will, given the leaps that have been made thus far.
You are just stating these things, and never really pointing them out. Saying it does not make it so.

Quote:
Not at all. Communication can be effective on a number of levels even when there is no standard.
If there is no standard of whether something is true or not, I have no idea if what you said is true or whether I am interpreting it correctly. Maybe your statement means, "Homosexuals are the enemy." Why is that not a correct interpretation? Remember, there is no standard.

Quote:
When my preverbal preschooler ran shrieking to me on the playground, it might have meant that the swing she wanted was occupied, or it might have meant "that toddler obviously wants to kill me and take my toys!" Either way, though it was imprecise and open to interpretation, I could correctly assume it to mean my intervention would keep Very Bad Things from happening.
So if I assume my interpretation is right, then it is? That makes sense.

Quote:
As for the pointlessness of this debate...from my POV, it's a tolerable way to waste an afternoon probably better spent in research for my current project, or at the very least doing laundry. I've no idea what your point is. This being the internet, for all I know you're Randy "Duke" Cunningham, whiling away the hours at his current place of residence, or possibly a 16 year old boy named Josh Evans.
I did not say the debate was pointless. There was a condition. If there is no standard of absolute truth, then our debate is pointless. If there is not a way to know that homosexuality is right or wrong (you obviously have some way of knowing it is right, which I am still waiting to hear), then why debate it? We are simply debating opinions that we have no way of knowing whether they are correct or not.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
According to
this woman, it is a choice.
According to me it is not a choice. Will she consent to a scientific test to determine if she still responds to homosexual stimuli?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality