Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times

Advertisements

What do you do for a living?
does your profession has an influence over your beliefs?
if so why and how?

I studied sound engineering and musical theory, and I work as a DJ in parties and festivals around the world, besides that I also give courses in Acoustics, Psychoacoustics, Digital Audio, MIDI, Sound design and synthesis, and Music composition.

Working with music has influenced my beliefs first because it takes faith to make music your profession and also because I've seen that what I'm feeling, thinking and willing in the moment I'm playing is felt by the people so it is very important for me to be as tuned as possible with the cosmic consciousness in order to send love, strenght, peace and happiness, working with acoustic sciences also made me aware of the subtle vibrational forces behind what we call reality, which in turn produced a fascination with Indian Phillosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Right now I'm unemployed, but I'll soon have to look for a new job again.
Being unemployed has had no affect on my beliefs, because Jesus wasn't employed either.

I've studied electronics (quit the 1st year), sociology & art (quit the year right before the last year) and had briefly joined the army (I was drafted).
I have the creative talent to become an artist (sculpture & audio visual arts) but have a huge problem with becoming a commercial success.
I'd rather give my art away to people who really appreciate it than sell it for loads of $ to someone who only sees my art as a 'good' economical investment.
I really have problems with making profit (read: making a killing).

Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,240 times
Well, my job is fairly humdrum, boring stuff.

I activate cellphones for T-Mobile, which involves a lot of typing, script-reading and inane-question-answering.

Still, it's good money and I love my co-workers.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,144 times
I am what is called an Estimator.

I basically tell installers what the architectural products they want to buy from us will cost. These products range from windows and doors to curtain wall for different types of applications. I mainly price Blast mitigation and Ballistic products which end up in military bases and government buildings.

I do have a passion for visual arts, specifically sculpture. I hope one day to teach art at the college level.

I think that my belief keeps me motivated and positive during hard times at work. I don't think that my occupation affects my faith directly.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Archaeologist/Anthropologist but currently not working due to long term illness and health problems.
I have always been an Atheist and religion has never made sense to me, even as a child. I was encouraged to learn about all sorts of religions, went to Catholic schools and never had any inkling to resort to faith as a way to explain the world around me.

Science always made a lot more sense to me . Mind you until this forum I never met anyone who was a creationist and Archaeology was not considered a heresy by any Christians I met, even Priests or Nuns !

Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
I retired from the phone company about a year and a half ago but I've been working as a contractor for the last year for the same company from home. It doesn't have any influence on my beliefs in any way whatsoever.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Geologist. Originally in the petroleum industry, then when that bottomed out in late 1980s, I switched to the environmental industry. With the price of oil so high, guess what I'm thinking of doing.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM

249 posts, read 532,015 times
Default When we were children we played together in the garden

I do gardening work.. because I like spending my time around plants.. and dog poop.

My job is to look after the local park.. I also pick up litter.. smoke a lot.. and drink coffee frequently.

I don't have any school education.. never passed any school exams.. no diplomas.. so gardening is about the only thing I can do.. apart from factory work.. which is horrible.

I did have a certificate for swimming 10 yards.. but I lost it.. :-(

Maybe I could have become a life-guard.

----

"When we were children we played together in the garden ..and we believed the garden was eternal and our gates eternal too.

Well.. one day the garden gate was locked.. and behind the wall the flowers were dug up.

I have been so lonely for that garden and you came and casually you lifted up the latch and took me back inside. Without even noticing you brought the flowers back to life. All that was lost you gave back to me. You called me out of the kingdom of death . . and all the world was spring."

Antonine de Saint-Exupery - written about his wife

-

Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
I was a teacher... both Reading and Art...I taught in a rural town about 30min away from me with many difficulties that were quite challenging... (it was a middle school with prostitution, drugs, weapons...) My husband and I made the decision together that I would stay home and raise our children until they were old enough and in school all day and not need me any longer during that time. I volunteer in my older child's school and find it very rewarding to be able to be so involved in their daily lives. My youngest still has some time before she is in school for a full day and I am honestly not looking forward to it. But I am very blessed that the Lord has provided my husband with a wonderful job to enable us to do this for our kids, and our family as a whole, as I really believe I am the one person who will raise them best... I thank the Lord every day for this short time I have them home with me and I don't take it for granted at all...they are my blessing and joy... I am very fortunate.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
im a jack of all trades I guess, My "real" job is accounts payable and outside sales. I guess you could say it does have a influence on my beliefs because my boss is a Christian as well, and we talk about prayer and the like at work sometimes. Im also a part-time personal trainer and own a small lawn mowing business. When Im not busy doing those things I sale furniture on Saturdays. One of these years Id like to write or teach English (not grammer)-lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality