Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,571,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Nice dodge.

Can he have faith if he doesn't know what it is?

If you don't think he knows what it is you are questioning if he has it....and that's wrong.
Yes you can still have faith, even if you don't know what it is exactly.

That's not a dodge dude. I am well within my rights as a Christian when I am witnessing and I come across a "self proclaimed" Christian and he or she has all the lingo but something is just not right.

So I ask them questions to see if they are a Christian or believe they are. To better debate with him I am trying to see where he stands.

I COULD and WOULD never judge someone's salvation but I sure can question it.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
A common thing I hear from most atheists is that they believe God doesn't exist simply because there is no evidence to prove His existence; they believe Him to be a fabrication of our minds and nothing more than something to fall back on during the tough times of our lives. How are you, as CHRISTIANS, certain that God exists? What evidence do you feel supports your view and why does it? I look forward to hearing from you.
Back to the OP, and thank you for your grace in forgiving me as having done a terrible job moderating this thread:

How am I certain God exists?--Well, He's proven Himself to me over and over again. Not just in my life but in the life of others as well. I reached a point where I said "OK, all of these things in my life can not be all coincidences. I've looked at the apologetics, read the book, studied the history, and this is just too much to brush to the side." I am taking a huge leap of faith and staking my entire life on Christ. And for the time I've been following Him, He's never let me down.

As far as evidence, I could start listing life experiences but those are personal and many would just write them off. I would suggest that someone just start looking at the Word with an open mind and consider many of the points in Evidence that Demands a Verdict. It was as convincing as any atheistic material I've read.

In the end, it's all about how much faith you're going to exercise.

I'm exercising all of mine.

All my eggs are in one basket and rose from the dead for me and you.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
First of all, I didn't say that truth is subjective, I said that it seems as though all truth is becoming subjective. Furthermore, this concept was being directed at universal right and wrongs, but on the supposed empirical evidence used to determine whether or not there does exists a higher force or entity called God. I believe in the Jesus Christ and I do recognize Him as the Son of God, but I must still always recognize the fact that though I feel the scientific evidence and the historical records support my stance, I can't be 100% sure until I am able to see Him and touch Him using my very own God given senses. Till then, I must live on faith and believe that there is loving deity called Jesus and that His love for me is greater than anything I ever thought imaginable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Nice dodge.

Can he have faith if he doesn't know what it is?

If you don't think he knows what it is you are questioning if he has it....and that's wrong.
I was thinking over what Alpha8207 said, therefore I will answer the question posed to you by me about faith.

First off "Faith" is not something we generate ourselves, "Faith" is a gift from God. Faith is not a tool we use to believe in God or get what we want from God instead its the reverse, "Faith" is used by God in us to fulfill His purpose in us

Having "Faith" proves 100% without shadow of a doubt that God exist because without God there can be NO "Faith".

Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
I suggest that Josh McDowl's evidence was probably what you already believed, or wanted to believe before you read it....Here is an examination of the book's contents.
Bob,

Like you my eggs are in one basket. Hopefully neither of us ends up with an omelet.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:43 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I was thinking over what Alpha8207 said, therefore I will answer the question posed to you by me about faith.

First off "Faith" is not something we generate ourselves, "Faith" is a gift from God. Faith is not a tool we use to believe in God or get what we want from God instead its the reverse, "Faith" is used by God in us to fulfill His purpose in us

Having "Faith" proves 100% without shadow of a doubt that God exist because without God there can be NO "Faith".
Not so Reformed, because even I have faith, as do most people. Faith is not reserved just for those who believe in God. I have faith that the stock market crash will not completely destroy my retirement savings. I have faith that the US will eventually resolve it's problems, but I have little faith in politicians truthfulness, and no faith in God to solve anything.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Not so Reformed, because even I have faith, as do most people. Faith is not reserved just for those who believe in God. I have faith that the stock market crash will not completely destroy my retirement savings. I have faith that the US will eventually resolve it's problems, but I have little faith in politicians truthfulness, and no faith in God to solve anything.
Sorry it really doesn't matter what you think, it's what the bible says,

(Ephesians 2:8)

“For by grace are ye saved, through faith; and that [faith] not of yourselves: it [faith] is the gift of God”

(John 6:44)

“No man can come to Me, except the Father which hath sent Me draw him”
ahhhhhh...what a beautiful verse!!!!!

I LOVE THE BIBLE!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM

352 posts, read 553,202 times
First off, I would like thank you Alpha for your last few posts; I greatly appreciate the support and the kindness. I do pray that God will look over you and bless you and yours. In regards to Reformed, I am sorry that this hasn't gotten a little out of hand. But I guess it would be best if I try to explain where I am coming from on this. You said it yourself that faith comes from God; that is true, but each person of faith comes with different gifts. Yours and Alpha's seem to have stronger spiritual ties than mine, which is more rooted in logic and objectivity. Is that bad? I don't think so; I believe God made me a man of logic for a reason and that I am to use it to help Christians by showing them and those around them that there faith isn't blind or superstitious, but is also rooted in historical and scientific facts. You and Alpha can use your gifts more or less to help people struggling in their faith become more dependent on God and learn to live a life that is completely surrendered to Jesus. My logic is coming into a clash with your faith and that may be why we are having trouble understanding one another. I understand that you may not like where I am coming from or some of my views, but I do ask that you be patient with me. Like most of the Christians on this forum, I know I have a great deal more to learn before I die and it is a lifelong process. I just need a little time and a lot more prayer. In the meantime, I just want to tell you Reformed that though we may not see eye to eye on these issues, I do enjoy the fact that there are people like you who still take their faith seriously and believe that we need to follow it whole heartedly (you know hard that is to find these days?).

Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
And that is your right as American to believe; but the faith Reformed mention is a kind that can only apply to Christians and God.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
First off, I would like thank you Alpha for your last few posts; I greatly appreciate the support and the kindness. I do pray that God will look over you and bless you and yours. In regards to Reformed, I am sorry that this hasn't gotten a little out of hand. But I guess it would be best if I try to explain where I am coming from on this. You said it yourself that faith comes from God; that is true, but each person of faith comes with different gifts. Yours and Alpha's seem to have stronger spiritual ties than mine, which is more rooted in logic and objectivity. Is that bad? I don't think so; I believe God made me a man of logic for a reason and that I am to use it to help Christians by showing them and those around them that there faith isn't blind or superstitious, but is also rooted in historical and scientific facts. You and Alpha can use your gifts more or less to help people struggling in their faith become more dependent on God and learn to live a life that is completely surrendered to Jesus. My logic is coming into a clash with your faith and that may be why we are having trouble understanding one another. I understand that you may not like where I am coming from or some of my views, but I do ask that you be patient with me. Like most of the Christians on this forum, I know I have a great deal more to learn before I die and it is a lifelong process. I just need a little time and a lot more prayer. In the meantime, I just want to tell you Reformed that though we may not see eye to eye on these issues, I do enjoy the fact that there are people like you who still take their faith seriously and believe that we need to follow it whole heartedly (you know hard that is to find these days?).
Read the verses below my friend, you either believe it or you don't. If you don't then you really and truly have to re-examine your walk with the Lord.

I am not being critical of you, I am saying this with compassion. I truly care about your salvation.

“For by grace are ye saved, through faith; and that [faith] not of yourselves: it [faith] is the gift of God”

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Read the verses above my friend, you either believe it or you don't. If you don't then you really and truly have to re-examine your walk with the Lord.

I am not being critical of you, I am saying this with compassion. I truly care about your salvation.

I do believe it Reformed; I believe that faith comes from God and I believe that salvation can come through Jesus only. When I said I root myself in logic, there is a problem with that; I know that I will never have all the answers. I know that even with the evidence I have, there is still going to be gaps that leave questions to be asked. But despite all those questions I have, God provided answers for me to the critical ones and He was the one who moved to lead me back to Him. Do you know how hard it is for a man like to me, a man of logic and objectivity, to finally say that despite the lack of evidence here and proof there I believe through faith, which has already been established comes through God alone, in Him and that He is the only way to salvation? It took me years to finally learn how to do it and I believe that God is still working on me so that one day I can become a better man of faith. But that depends on Him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality