Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Same reason christians do it makes the sheep feel they have a powerful god on their side. It is just good marketing for a business with no real product.
While God is real . . . He is immaterial so I agree with you about the marketing principle. It is the same reason that DVDs or Computer software discs come in big fancy boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,347 times
there are many poor latter day saints (mormons) and it isn't expensive you give 10 percent of what u have, and if you have of course but the purpose of a temple itself is charity in its most beautiful form, when u go to a temple its not to simply enjoy the structure or even to do anything for urself its all about doing work for others. The point of only the most righteous being allowed is because we are taught that god cannot dwell where there is anything unclean so we dedicate somewhere by way of commandment to serve him and only those who live a clean worthy life are allowed because we believe that god through them performs his work in other words use us as his tools for the salvation of mankind, he could do it himself yes but its our journey and our test here on earth so he uses us as his tools to help eachother if he did it for us it would defeat the purpose of our being here in our state of testing, hence why only true followers or worthy members are used as his tools for temple work, everyone has a duty as far as helping others and keeping his commandments, but in his holy temple where his spirit can dwell to make new ordinances and help us further know what we need to do u have to be clean, anyone can become temple worthy but u have to put forth the effort to show ur willing to accept his work and and be clean so his spirit can work through you basically, and I am not temple worthy yet I just understand the importance of it and what it requires to become worthy to go in his temple, most lds members who do not have their temple reccomends are understanding and get why they aren't, and I respect all who don't a agree with the process because I have had problems understanding in the past but as I've learned and understood things better I know why and realize that temples weather expensive or not are essential in doing work for others and are work of pure charity, but very misunderstood unless you have an open heart and mind to understand their importance and what they are for ( not just a beautiful structure to show off the money the church does or doesn't have) but are made beautiful because we build them up for our heavenly father so of course we try to make them beautiful

Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,347 times
Its not about the money (tithes) he don't need it its a showing of appriciation and dedication to him and also to help others because the church uses that money to build our temples to do gods work in them and to help others who need it when the church uses the money for humanitarian aid, it has a dual purpose as far as giving 10 percent of tithes, hearing it from me or any other member isn't what u should trust, if ur curious read the book of mormon and doctorine and covenants, that's all of our beliefs with no error of any member telling it wrong then u have to rely on heavenly father to testify the truth of it to you its between you and him not anyone else

Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
To p!$$ off people who can't see the insides of them.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
To p!$$ off people who can't see the insides of them.
Every time a new temple is built, there is an open house (generally lasting several weeks) during which time anyone who is interested is invited to take a tour. Many thousands of non-Mormons generally take advantage of this opportunity.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Every time a new temple is built, there is an open house (generally lasting several weeks) during which time anyone who is interested is invited to take a tour. Many thousands of non-Mormons generally take advantage of this opportunity.
I know. Ditto for the controversially styled, splashy new Catholic Cathedral in Los Angeles. I'm sure they showcased it when it was new, with ribbon cutting and all, but anybody from any walk of life can still walk in to check it out.

When I was in SLC on a lay-over, I couldn't do that with the LDS Temple, and have no clue when it was opened. That said, a double-decker burger, with fries and salad, at JBs Big Boy around the corner from Temple Square was calling me.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbrowns View Post
Its not about the money (tithes) he don't need it its a showing of appriciation and dedication to him and also to help others because the church uses that money to build our temples to do gods work in them and to help others who need it when the church uses the money for humanitarian aid, it has a dual purpose as far as giving 10 percent of tithes, hearing it from me or any other member isn't what u should trust, if ur curious read the book of mormon and doctorine and covenants, that's all of our beliefs with no error of any member telling it wrong then u have to rely on heavenly father to testify the truth of it to you its between you and him not anyone else

[side note]

Don't be afraid to use periods.

Now to the real response. As a prior Mormon I can say that the temple is very overrated. While some may find it spiritual most use it as a social obligation. And by no means is God confined to any structure. God can be found anywhere, even in the ghetto.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Moderator cut: FYI

Posters are welcome to give an opinion so long as it is not meant to insult or bash anyone's religion.

We realize how important one's beliefs are to him but at the same time we should not be so consumed with finding fault in others honest opinions so long as they are not bashing what our religion happens to be..

Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
I understand this thread is about Mormonism but this sure is a modest temple
Attached Thumbnails
Why do mormons always build opulent temples?-stpetersbasilica.jpg  

Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Have you seen the Dallas Temple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality