Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,605,114 times

Advertisements

well, whenever we want to prove another perspective wrong ... just force them to be literal. Of course when we do it to our personal statement of belief its does the exact same thing.

outside of teaching to a guy that rises for our sins and an over seer type god, Jesus teaches aren't bad. there are bad people that use Jesus as weapon. because bad people use the god notion as a weapon isn't proof that something doesn't exist.

but since when does the Fundy theist and Fundy atheist (aka militant atheist) need to cross check their own statements of belief? their emotions are the only proof they need. in fact, they think their emotion is enough to make all of us follow their line of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 07:24 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times
Christianity is as much about pacificism as it is about self-defense, maybe 50/50 on those two themes.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Pacifism is more about wars and militarism, and less about killing per se. A person could be against wars, but for the death penalty, or vice versa. There isn't a one-for one relationship b/w the two.

Jesus and the New Testament are more along the lines of peace and turning the other cheek. God (the Father) and the Old Testament was more about war and vengeance.

So we see two sides in the Bible as a whole. The message appears to be that both approaches can be okay and acceptable, and there is no one wrong or right way. It's not about one or the other, but both and balance.
That sounded (or translated from theist to English) like you said 'Human morality, ethics and indeed politics, avoids the two unworkable if not actually repellent, extremes that we get in the Bible'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Christianity is as much about pacificism as it is about self-defense, maybe 50/50 on those two themes.
I don't see the Bible (NT or Old) as about 'self defence', but about aggression and taking fire and sword to the sinner, unbeliever, and those not seen in Church just lately. True, this is Righteous Indignation Visited upon the Ungodly by a Just God, with Fire, Sword and Superfluous Capitals. But worry not, if He's a bit tardy about blowing the Middle east apart with the promised Armageddon, A Christian America will be glad to help matters along.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:09 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,883,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That sounded (or translated from theist to English) like you said 'Human morality, ethics and indeed politics, avoids the two unworkable if not actually repellent, extremes that we get in the Bible'.

I don't see the Bible (NT or Old) as about 'self defence', but about aggression and taking fire and sword to the sinner, unbeliever, and those not seen in Church just lately. True, this is Righteous Indignation Visited upon the Ungodly by a Just God, with Fire, Sword and Superfluous Capitals. But worry not, if He's a bit tardy about blowing the Middle east apart with the promised Armageddon, A Christian America will be glad to help matters along.
You "see" the Bible that way because you have no understanding of it's contents. Wow. You sound like an ordinary loudmouth in a bar who complains about the hypocrites in the church, but who has never actually opened a Bible. Only repeating what others have said.

Now I don't think you have never opened the Bible. Of course you have. But you do spend HOURS discussing it's contents when in fact you have very little knowledge of it.

I think you could actually spend the rest of your waking life reading it and never once understanding a single principle that it teaches. Your arrogance blinds you to the truth.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You "see" the Bible that way because you have no understanding of it's contents. Wow.
Neither do you.

Quote:
You sound like an ordinary loudmouth in a bar who complains about the hypocrites in the church, but who has never actually opened a Bible. Only repeating what others have said.
Says the person reading a mistranslation.

Quote:
Now I don't think you have never opened the Bible. Of course you have. But you do spend HOURS discussing it's contents when in fact you have very little knowledge of it.

I think you could actually spend the rest of your waking life reading it and never once understanding a single principle that it teaches. Your arrogance blinds you to the truth.
So once again, which god in the Bible is the true god?

Old 10-12-2019, 09:01 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,883,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, whenever we want to prove another perspective wrong ... just force them to be literal. Of course when we do it to our personal statement of belief its does the exact same thing.

outside of teaching to a guy that rises for our sins and an over seer type god, Jesus teaches aren't bad. there are bad people that use Jesus as weapon. because bad people use the god notion as a weapon isn't proof that something doesn't exist.

but since when does the Fundy theist and Fundy atheist (aka militant atheist) need to cross check their own statements of belief? their emotions are the only proof they need. in fact, they think their emotion is enough to make all of us follow their line of thought.
Why are you dismissing the possibility of supernatural? That is what has led to mankind's greatest achievements. Faith is the greatest part of our existence.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:32 AM

50,920 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
You "see" the Bible that way because you have no understanding of it's contents. Wow. You sound like an ordinary loudmouth in a bar who complains about the hypocrites in the church, but who has never actually opened a Bible. Only repeating what others have said.

In all my time here, I don't believe I've ever seen you discuss any bible principles.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 AM

50,920 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Why are you dismissing the possibility of supernatural? That is what has led to mankind's greatest achievements. Faith is the greatest part of our existence.
Do you accept all forms of the supernatural as being at least possible?

Old 10-12-2019, 01:27 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:

trouts... could I borrow your popcorn clip for a while?

Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 394,198 times
Christians in general are absolutely saintly people. They are just plain good folk without any doubts & are going to spend eternity in Heaven when they pass on.

It's childish to think they will all be passive all the time however. They really need to be assertive if they want to survive in this world & take care of their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality