Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I do not believe in the concept of a Hell. I don't know for sure of course, but I believe in Reincarnation. It makes more sense to me. I grew up Catholic and could never understand "Purgatory" which was where you went if you committed a venial sin. I remember being taught by the nuns that going to a church other than Catholic was a mortal sin. That meant "Hell". In third grade I went to a friend's church and thought "That's it I am doomed". Also Original Sin and babies having to be baptized. Dying before being baptized meant Purgatory. A supposedly forgiving creator would not want children to grow up as fearful as I was.
I'm sorry you had to grow up in fear-this was not right. The fear was based on the legalism of that particular Catholic church. There is no such thing as being "doomed"-at any point you can call upon Christ to save you and take away your sins and as long as you mean it you are saved. None of those silly rules about going to other churches apply in the real world. I think that Church was power-hungry and didn't want its members leaving the Catholic faith. Any form of Christianity with so many human-inspired rules and regulations only dilutes the truth.

This belief that babies go to purgatory if they die is not Biblical. If a child dies before he is old enough to understand the gospel of Jesus Christ then he goes to heaven. I have no idea where the Catholic church got this idea from (or even how widespread this belief is among Catholics) you are right to question it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
"everybody's tellin me hells the hipist way to go, i dont think so but im guna talk alook around.
from blue joni mitchell
sing it

Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
"everybody's tellin me hells the hipist way to go, i dont think so but im guna talk alook around.
from blue joni mitchell
sing it
Much obliged.

YouTube - Joni Mitchell-Blue (Documentary)

Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
P=1/N is the formula to determine if you have picked the right hell/religion. This comes from Pascal’s Wager where (n) is the number of religious viable or faiths, and p being the probability you are right in percentage. I am not sure how many total religions/faiths there are but there are 32,000 Christian faiths alone, the probability with Christians alone is .000031% that you are right about the hell or heaven you picked. It seems minuscule with Christians alone just think what it would be with the other religions added in.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
P=1/N is the formula to determine if you have picked the right hell/religion. This comes from Pascal’s Wager where (n) is the number of religious viable or faiths, and p being the probability you are right in percentage. I am not sure how many total religions/faiths there are but there are 32,000 Christian faiths alone, the probability with Christians alone is .000031% that you are right about the hell or heaven you picked. It seems minuscule with Christians alone just think what it would be with the other religions added in.
You didn't work for Enron's accounting department did you? Where did you get these numbers?! 32,000 Christian faiths?! Link please! There is a thing called denominations but there certainly isn't 100+. And the vast majority of these denominations believe in the only important thing: the necessity if Christ as savior. So let's see 1 Billion plus Christians to be on the conservative side. Pretty good odds when you weight the contestants by size.

I know these numbers arguments are meaningless and I'm just having a bit of fun. I really hope you are doing the same what with your "formula".

Christianity is the only faith where you don't "go to heaven", "achieve inner peace", become part of the oversoul, or be reincarnated by your own works. Christianity is the only 100% faith based one. Full reliance on God not our own pathetic and sometimes hypocritical selves.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
How does a God with a love and forgiving nature so off the charts we can't even comprehend it send those He loves to unbearable pain, misery etc forever?
Of course, He cannot and will not
http://www.tentmaker.org/

Old 01-28-2009, 09:04 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,203,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
For the sake of argument, what is the atheist's probability (as if one would care about heaven or hell)? If there be no God, then you are simply on your own. Your probability then becomes 1:whatever the world population is.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer
You forgot the possibility that the real god is not one that is worshipped by anyone on earth. So now N is equal to the number of conceivable gods, which is pretty much infinity.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 AM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
My own opinion is that hell is a place you create for yourself by continious bad thoughts and actions in this life. Like attracts like, good people tend to hang around good people, rich people tend to hang around other rich folks, negative people tend to hang around with other negative people. If you've ever been around someone who just bugs you due to them being negative, malicious, always angry, mean spirited or whatever, you probably after a very short time couldn't wait to get away from them.
That's a nice story, but... what is it based on? Did you just make it up, or is there any kind of evidence?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Hasn't it occurred to any of you that you might already in hell? Or heaven, for that matter? The assumption (and its a BIG assumption) is that you remember your previous life/lives once you are in heaven and hell.

Personally, I don't believe in either. But I thought it was an interesting observation for you folks who are discussing this with some preconceived notions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality