Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,806 times

Advertisements

The Bible has been translated throughout it's history, with word meanings being subtley changed.

It has been re-written by priests and monks. And it is widely accepted that these people made major edits to the Bibles content.

Politicans have gotten their hands on it. They used The Bible to control the people, and many believe that some politicians made changes to the Bible content, adding dogmatic rules that would make the people more subserviant.

So with the very, very unstable history of this book. Why do some of you all have total faith in it? Why do you not even show the slightest bit of sceptisism?

I see people's unbending faith in the Bible to be a source of ignorance. There comes a point when a person ceases to use logic and their own heart, and instead they turn to the highly imperfect Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 AM

Nobody wants to discuss this issue?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The Bible has been translated throughout it's history, with word meanings being subtley changed.

It has been re-written by priests and monks. And it is widely accepted that these people made major edits to the Bibles content.
That statement just isn't true. We can go back and examine different manuscripts and deduce what was in the original text. I'm guessing you really haven't done a lot of research in textual criticism, have you?
[/quote]
Politicans have gotten their hands on it. They used The Bible to control the people, and many believe that some politicians made changes to the Bible content, adding dogmatic rules that would make the people more subserviant.

[/quote]
Again...simply not true. Yes, it's been used by those in power...but we do know what the original text was.

Quote:
So with the very, very unstable history of this book. Why do some of you all have total faith in it? Why do you not even show the slightest bit of sceptisism?
You haven't proven anything is unstable, except maybe your initial arguments.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
Quote:

Yes, they were in charge of copying the complete text over and over again. However, the modern bible we use is 98% accurate to the original manuscripts. And the 2% of discrepancies are minor and do not have any impact upon any doctrine.

Widely accepted by whom that there were major edits? The secular world who wants any and every reason possible to discount and discredit the truth contained within the Bible? This to me is simply a matter-of-fact statement without support.

Quote:
Politicians mis-using the bible for their own gain or control over the masses, as you say, is on the politician. Becoming super legalistic or overly dogmatic regarding the commandments contained within the bible to make people subserviant is again a misuse and reflects more on the heart of the person rather than the validity or truth of the bible. However, because folks abused the meaning and message of the bible doesn't automatically mean things were added or edited. Misinterpretation or misapplicaiton of the message does not negate the veracity and accuracy of the bible.

Quote:
It is the most examined piece of literature ever and still cannot be discounted. People have been trying for centuries to disprove and dismantle the bible and its message, yet it is still here. Why do you think that is?

My total faith is in God. I have had questions about the bible, but have found answers that satisfied my questions. So the faith I do place in the Word of God is not a blind faith; nor is it misguided or misplaced. Every foundational belief asserted by every belief system (religious or secular) requires a leap of faith in order to accept it. My leap however is much smaller than the leap required to believe in the others.

Quote:
I see people's unbending faith in the Bible to be a source of ignorance. There comes a point when a person ceases to use logic and their own heart, and instead they turn to the highly imperfect Bible.
The bible is a source of enlightenment, not ignorance. If people misuse or misapply its message, that's where problems arise. Again, that's no reflection on the bible, but on the person. I strongly believe being a Christian requires more logic than most give us credit for. I didn't check my brain at the door when I became a Christian. Logic is quite necessary and the bible actually instructs us to seek wisdom, knowledge and always be prepared to provide an answer for the hope that is within us.

Some links, if you're interested..

DB011: M-A-P-S To Guide You Through Biblical Reliability - equip.org

Textual Reliability of the New Testament by James Patrick Holding

Textual Reliability of the Old Testament by James Patrick Holding

Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
It's my understanding that the editing may be accurate but the ones who actually translated the manuscripts were in error of what is to be understood.
Take revelations. Most people belive it to be true when it was actually a vision that John had and it means nothing for this time. And I understand it, it was written by three different people. The story itself may have been what was copied but the meaning was mistranslated.
Some of the miracles that were performed by Jesus was just someone elses account of what happened. Jesus didn't tell about the miracles because that wasn't His mission.
Lazarus was in a coma, not dead but most believe Jesus raissed him from the dead.
Have you ever wondered where the term graveyard shift came from? People who were thought to be dead were burried alive so they started tying bells, (I think that's right) to the people in the coffins so that when they woke up, they could be unburied.
Jesus walking on water didn't happen either but people believe that to be true becaue someone mistranslated what really happened. He was in shallow water and it appeared to look as if He walked on the water.
The fish that Jesus fed all the 5000, or however many, people with was Jesus actually pointing them to a place where a school of fish were at so when they dropped the nets, they were able to catch the fish to feed the people.
Mistranslations are what makes the bible wrong. If it were translated right, we wouldn't have any problems but people get caught up in what someone else believes and then they take it on as their truth. Then before ya know it, generations are believing the same thing over and over again so that the truth of the matter is way down there somewherre that no one can get to.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's my understanding that the editing may be accurate but the ones who actually translated the manuscripts were in error of what is to be understood.
Take revelations. Most people belive it to be true when it was actually a vision that John had and it means nothing for this time. And I understand it, it was written by three different people. The story itself may have been what was copied but the meaning was mistranslated.
Some of the miracles that were performed by Jesus was just someone elses account of what happened. Jesus didn't tell about the miracles because that wasn't His mission.
Lazarus was in a coma, not dead but most believe Jesus raissed him from the dead.
Have you ever wondered where the term graveyard shift came from? People who were thought to be dead were burried alive so they started tying bells, (I think that's right) to the people in the coffins so that when they woke up, they could be unburied.
Jesus walking on water didn't happen either but people believe that to be true becaue someone mistranslated what really happened. He was in shallow water and it appeared to look as if He walked on the water.
The fish that Jesus fed all the 5000, or however many, people with was Jesus actually pointing them to a place where a school of fish were at so when they dropped the nets, they were able to catch the fish to feed the people.
Mistranslations are what makes the bible wrong. If it were translated right, we wouldn't have any problems but people get caught up in what someone else believes and then they take it on as their truth. Then before ya know it, generations are believing the same thing over and over again so that the truth of the matter is way down there somewherre that no one can get to.
Wow ... is this what you really believe? How sad

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Here is a video worth watching, although it is quite long.

Who Wrote the Bible?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Wow ... is this what you really believe? How sad
The same can be said of those who blindly have total faith in the bible. You admit to 2% error (although where you came up with that figure I do not know). Any error in your perfect book casts doubt on the rest of it.

Believers claim the bible to be true in every aspect. Does this mean that the admitted metaphors are the truth? Does it mean that your intrepretation is the only truth?

Once again, if this is what you truly believe, how sad.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
The same can be said of those who blindly have total faith in the bible. You admit to 2% error (although where you came up with that figure I do not know). Any error in your perfect book casts doubt on the rest of it.

Believers claim the bible to be true in every aspect. Does this mean that the admitted metaphors are the truth? Does it mean that your intrepretation is the only truth?

Once again, if this is what you truly believe, how sad.

2% error? No. 2% text lost? Yes. In the original text it was perfect.

The 2% in question does not challenge any doctrines.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:03 PM

I think that you are simply in denial if you think that The Bible is infallable. It is simply not true.

It seems to make more sense to me, to read The Bible as a beautiful book. Read it as a spiritual guide. Go ahead and make it the cornerstone of your spiritual life too if you want.

But to say that it is 100% true, should not be questioned, and is totally accurate. That is simply dogma. I sense a desperate clinging to the book. It's strange.

The Bible is a book that controls peoples behavior. People have unshakable faith in the faith and follow its rules. People know this, and many people have exploited Christians by using this as a tool.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 03-19-2009 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality