Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:35 PM

74 posts, read 126,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
Hi Mullenite,
is it OK (conscience-wise, Biblically speaking) for a Christian specifically to participate in warfare?
Katherine
There are countless times when Christians have shed blood in the name of their relgion. Spanish inquisition, the Crusades, Knight's Templar to name a few. Christian armies have killed millions of people throughout history and many Christian armies slaughtered their enemies in ruthless fashion. In fact Christianity has a long tradition of being viewed the most violent religion in history by many. So to answer your question, "Should a Christian go to war", seems a bit off base. A more appropriate question would be, Why don't Christians practice what they preach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,964,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Just when was the last time the USA was invaded by a foreign country esp. the lower 48?

Oh I forgot - never.

How many countries has the USA invaded?

Hmm yeah, that is easier and we of course all know how they turned out?

Excluding WWI and WWII which you did not win - it was an Allied victory unless you want to purport only the blood of slain USA soldiers were of significance? Hmm thought not else you would get many irate folk like me from SA and ex-pats from the colonies, Australia, India protesting.

I guess it must be the libural democrats you have to fight then - USA civil war 2.0?

And of course the USA Armed forces are all democrats, no democrats own guns OR only democrats will be able to own guns.

OH BTW, where exactly in the bible does it say God gave you rights to own guns?

I am guessing that your inalienable right to bear arms was authored by the founding fathers of the USA in the constitution?

Whoo whoo, the Unionists are coming, hoist and wave the confederate flag.

Did you ever notice how blue the states went in the last election (district wise?)

Here:
War of 1812 when the capitol was burned down? And good luck winning the WW's (especially WWII) without American assistance. And what in the world does the confederate flag have to do with it? And the armed forces are all democrats? What? Now just sit back and let me tell you all about apartheid........
'
;

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,403,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
War of 1812 when the capitol was burned down? And good luck winning the WW's (especially WWII) without American assistance. And what in the world does the confederate flag have to do with it? And the armed forces are all democrats? What? Now just sit back and let me tell you all about apartheid........
'
;
Don't forget Eugene Fischer , oh and also The Merry Minuet by the Kingston Trio and behind all those cultures are both Atheists & Religion who history has shown have no problem blowing each other away for whatever righteous causes their respective governments can shove down their throats.

I love this very illustrative folk song

YouTube - THE MERRY MINUET

Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,403,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
So to answer your question, "Should a Christian go to war", seems a bit off base. A more appropriate question would be, Why don't Christians practice what they preach?
You mean, why don't they take their regular healthy spiritual Christian vitamin called = B-1

Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,223,171 times
Quote:
War of 1812 when the capitol was burned down? And good luck winning the WW's (especially WWII) without American assistance.
Yeah amazing you have not won one single war you started since then eh?
Quote:
And what in the world does the confederate flag have to do with it? And the armed forces are all democrats? What? Now just sit back and let me tell you all about apartheid........;
Have at it if you think you can.

Actually if you do your research well, you will find that the USA propped up the Apartheid government, just via Israel.

You will also find parallels to your own failed policies, some of which are still in effect.

I was mocking the American Republican(wingnut) mindset.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,561,036 times
I do not believe in the Bible but I read it extensively. My observation is that on the subject Jehova's Witnees come closer to the teachings of Jesus.
They do have a demonstrated record of peace. During WWII they were willing to go to the concentrations camps with the Jews than picking up a weapon to kill another human being. In the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. I got a pamphlet entitled the "Jehovah's Witnesses, the willing victims". I bought a book on their experience at the Holocaust Museum here in El Paso.
They are the Christian exception and probably some other group there but they are the ones that come to my mind as pacifists that do live by the peaceful message of Jesus.
I must give the credit to that group in that area.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,964,756 times
QUOTE]Yeah amazing you have not won one single war you started since then eh?[/quote]

Mexican-American war
Spanish American war
First Gulf War

Korea was a success as South Korea remained free
Vietnam was not a military defeat(internal strife and American public opinion won this war)
The cold war was a victory

Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
QUOTE]Yeah amazing you have not won one single war you started since then eh?
Mexican-American war 1846 to 1848?
Spanish American war April and August 1898?
First Gulf War[/quote]
Gulf war 1.0? Yeah right. So why was gulf war 2.0 necessary WMD? Oh wait there were none.
Quote:
Korea was a success as South Korea remained free
Vietnam was not a military defeat(internal strife and American public opinion won this war)
The cold war was a victory.
Typical American arrogance (patriotism?).

Usually wars end in surrender of the enemy.

Maybe you cannot see it, but the only significant export of the USA is war and weapons of war. WWII saved your beacon in the mass manufacture of weapons effectively bringing you out of the last depression. You lot have been caught too many times playing to both sides of conflicts. Oh and BTW why do the UK still have to pay off war debt?

Yeah I guess the cold war was won by the USA seeing the battle for white supremacy against the Russians and Chinese fought on African soil(s) kinda have all gone the way of the communist backed freedom fighters?

I guess in your lil' world, victory is subjective like Mission Accomplished of St. Shrub?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Mexican-American war 1846 to 1848?
Spanish American war April and August 1898?
First Gulf War
Gulf war 1.0? Yeah right. So why was gulf war 2.0 necessary WMD? Oh wait there were none.
Typical American arrogance (patriotism?).

Usually wars end in surrender of the enemy.

Maybe you cannot see it, but the only significant export of the USA is war and weapons of war. WWII saved your beacon in the mass manufacture of weapons effectively bringing you out of the last depression. You lot have been caught too many times playing to both sides of conflicts. Oh and BTW why do the UK still have to pay off war debt?

Yeah I guess the cold war was won by the USA seeing the battle for white supremacy against the Russians and Chinese fought on African soil(s) kinda have all gone the way of the communist backed freedom fighters?

I guess in your lil' world, victory is subjective like Mission Accomplished of St. Shrub?
This is the most retarded fashionably-Anti-American diatribe I've seen in awhile . It's filled with stupidity from top to bottom. So many completely wrong facts, it's hard to know where to begin.

The U.S., rightfully or wrongfully, has went to war a lot. Sometimes it was declared, sometimes it wasn't. But just in my life time, we invaded Granada, kicking out the communist insurgents. We invaded Panama and removed it's President. We (along with the coalition) removed Sadam Hussain from kuwait - which was our soul objective. We entered the Balkens. Again, with help from the Nato, we removed the Al Qaida bases from Afghanistan. We removed Sadam Hussain from power in Iraq - which was always the goal, from our point of view. (It was Tony Blair and the British who insisted on playing up the weapons of mass destruction angle.)

Whether you like that we did those things or not, it's pretty stupid to pretend we didn't win. Is Sadam still in Kuwait? Is he still in Iraq? Is Noriega still in Panama?

And you say the only thing we export is war? Whatver. It's too bad that the U.S. couldn't play the important role that South Africa played in the cold war. And I'm sorry we're not the beacon of civility and cultural awareness that South Africa is today. But did you know that, since WWII, the U.S. has won more Nobel Prizes in Medicine then the rest of the world combined? . In fact, that is true for almost all of the sciences. Almost 70 percent of the new drugs are created in the U.S., too. And hey, what country invented Jazz, Rap, Hip Hop, and gets at least partial credit for Rock? (If you guessed South Africa, guess again) That 3 world famous forms of music in one century. Do you like Basketball? It's the world's second most popular sport. Created in the U.S.

But of course, we can't compare to nice, safe and secure South Africa. Your country is a model for the world. Is that what you think? Please. Your country is one of the most screwed up on earth. It has been going down hill for the last decade, and you should get out of there before anarchy completely rules. Zimbabwe = South Africa +10 years.

Before you start taking a poke at the U.S., maybe your country should get it's house in order.

Last edited by Boxcar Overkill; 04-22-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
This is the most retarded fashionably-Anti-American diatribe I've seen in awhile . It's filled with stupidity from top to bottom. So many completely wrong facts, it's hard to know where to begin.
Ya think?
Quote:
The U.S., rightfully or wrongfully, has went to war a lot. Sometimes it was declared, sometimes it wasn't. But just in my life time, we invaded Granada, kicking out the communist insurgents. We invaded Panama and removed it's President. We (along with the coalition) removed Sadam Hussain from kuwait - which was our soul objective.
After the CIA had backed him in the Iran/Iraq war like we supplied G4 and G5 canon to Iraq which BTW you folk were **** scared of in Gulf 1.0 seeing it has a 40km range with a 100m radius accuracy and in battery mode does some serious damage - one of the first targets you eliminated IIRC.
Quote:
We entered the Balkens. Again, with help from the Nato, we removed the Al Qaida bases from Afghanistan. We removed Sadam Hussain from power in Iraq - which was always the goal, from our point of view. (It was Tony Blair and the British who insisted on playing up the weapons of mass destruction angle.)
Isn't blame shift a nice tool to have?
Quote:
Whether you like that we did those things or not, it's pretty stupid to pretend we didn't win. Is Sadam still in Kuwait? Is he still in Iraq? Is Noriega still in Panama?
Nope Saddam is dead - applause
Quote:
And you say the only thing we export is war? Whatver. It's too bad that the U.S. couldn't play the important role that South Africa played in the cold war.
Allies are convenient even though you kinda whitewash them with pious condemnation.
Quote:
And I'm sorry we're not the beacon of civility and cultural awareness that South Africa is today.
We are are we not?
Quote:
But did you know that, since WWII, the U.S. has won more Nobel Prizes in Medicine then the rest of the world combined? . In fact, that is true for almost all of the sciences. Almost 70 percent of the new drugs are created in the U.S., too. And hey, what country invented Jazz, Rap, Hip Hop, and gets at least partial credit for Rock? (If you guessed South Africa, guess again) That 3 world famous forms of music in one century. Do you like Basketball? It's the world's second most popular sport. Created in the U.S.
Yeah yeah, America teh brave - I know. Amazing how the "world series" of American sports are well American. Must suck that you have not really won a true world cup like Cricket or Rugby - Oh wait you do try and are improving.
Quote:
But of course, we can't compare to nice, safe and secure South Africa. Your country is a model for the world. Is that what you think? Please. Your country is one of the most screwed up on earth. It has been going down hill for the last decade, and you should get out of there before anarchy completely rules. Zimbabwe = South Africa +10 years.
Oooh I am so scared. Shows your ignorance and really what true free press does when allowed to report w/o censor unlike the USA.
Quote:
Before you start taking a poke at the U.S., maybe your country should get it's house in order.
We are trying but we have a 14 year head start on you folk.

If you cannot take criticism, then stay out of the kitchen. You are not a bunch of angels ya know. We were not either.

Problem is - we can rat on the Australians and New Zealanders and Brits and it is taken in jest yet we play the major sports with them. They do the same to us. We hate each other's guts when it comes to sport but when the yanks imply they won the war, you have all us ex-colonialists up in arms and slamming the US seeing we also participated more in troops than in arms which was by far the USA's biggest contribution that helped win the WW1 & 2.

That is of course where my snide remarks began.

Check out this site citing military deaths/wounded and with population. The USA list 600k equal to France and less than Poland and shows you folk as the last to enter the war.

WWII: The Casualties (http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/%7Ejobrien/reference/ob62.html - broken link)

BTW my POV is still there are no winners in any war. War is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality