Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, it is in the nature of performing artists to perform. Sydney Poitier never did really work for a group of nuns. Steve McQueen could really ride a motorcycle. Clint Eastwood has not really shot anyone down in the street. Sam Cooke was never on a chaingang. Denzel Washington has brought great depth and feeling to a wide variety of characters he has portrayed over the years. Singers sing. Actors act. and Operatic folks do a bit of both. Any "passion" normally transmitted is usually their passion for their art, not a specific piece- is what makes a good singer, actor, painter, sculptor, musician (chanteuse) (cantador-a).
You named a few actors but you don't know what actually drives those people to do great work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM

74 posts, read 126,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
One should honestly acknowledge that which is truly passionately wonderful and inspired. I'm listening right now to St. Olaf's Choir on NPR. Amazing. Beautiful. I doubt that The National Atheist's Choir will ever amount to much, if it even gets off the ground!

Anyone else?
I am a guitarist and used to play for a Christian church and I loved it, there are some extremely talented musicians in Christian music. One day however, I was asked about my views and dedication to God. Being that I am Agnostic, my views were not well taken. After that experience, I gathered that it was hypocritical of me to play with the choir when I did not adhere to their underlying philosophy, no matter how much I enjoyed it. There are many wonderful Christians doing great things, but it's like you said, the basis of their inspiration is flawed.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
You named a few actors but you don't know what actually drives those people to do great work.
Either you don't understand simple english, or, you weren't paying attention. One does not necessarily need to agree with my statements to understand what I am saying.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Either you don't understand simple english, or, you weren't paying attention. One does not necessarily need to agree with my statements to understand what I am saying.
I read or statement and was paying attention, my question was to someone else. You answered but didn't answer my question bc it was not to you.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,021,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I actually went to the Cistine Chapel in Rome (sorry - Vatican City ) in 1976 to see Michael Angelo's art work. I have interests in artwork and Architechure. Most of modern European Architechure sucks as far as I'm concerned. I love old Europe. Probably why I love going back all the time to Prague (Praha) in Czech Republic. However, I found Michael Angelo's work disappointing. You see, I was bummed when it was later revealed he cheated and rather than any of his own personal amazing artistry genius at work, he used Fabonacci Numbers.

This was apparently what they were after. Such monolithic structure were indeed meant to overawe the common people. These never were something Jesus Christ commanded to be built, nor was any of this pursued by the early Christians anywhere in the New Testament Biblical record. This was strictly a personal decision by later centuries religious leaders who seem to have been influenced by the pagan comtemporaries they replaced. Striking fear in the heart of the people was the order of the day, and whether it was meant to be the instilling fear of God or fear of the Church is debatable.

When I looked at some of these structures, I thought of the countless millions taken from the common people to built these Clergy-Glorification monuments. Today in modern day Europe, they don't really represent that much meaning in people's lives anymore other than mere historical curiosities. I do however enjoy many of the Spanish Missions of the new world. Although they also represent the destruction and death of many of those indigneus cultures, I do like the Spanish architechure with the Moorish influence.

BTW, when visiting the Vatican, make sure you wear long pants or you won't get inside. My friends and I were wearing shorts because it was 105 F or 40+ C back there in the European drought years, but it still did'nt matter. If you are a woman, better bring along a dress or it's a no go.

And Norman Rockwell used photographs converted (projected) to canvasses to accomplish his lifelike paintings. Still tremendous talent. I doubt you or I could do it and I KNOW none of us could match Michalangelo's works....although most of his "female" scultpures had the bodies of men with breasts stuck on for good measure. I doubt he ever sculpted from a live female.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Default Images

Shawn, I know precisely why they sing and design with such "divine" inspiration. Because they believe with all their heart and "soul".

BTW, and this truly is an entirely different thread topic, but "belief", no matter how heartfelt and inspirational, is still no proof of "existance" of God. Millions do believe, butg then again, tens of millions (growing) don't. To that, I'll point out I also know that others, with absolutely no religious affilitation, can and do produce monumental works in both music and art/architecture. Christianity is not a required precursor for great works of architectural or musical or theatrical art. It just happens to drive some talented folks to greatness.

check these out:

Google Image Result for http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05/11/wondersoftheworld/image/11hearst3.jpg

or...

http://www.instablogsimages.com/imag...bai-1_7071.jpg

or...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...01_800x528.jpg

or... this religious example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/trail/c...chitecture.jpg

or, alternately, this religiously inspired "blight"...

http://www.geocities.com/los_angeles...dy_Angels1.jpg

Philosophical and spiritual intensity does breed fabulous creative results. Christianity, being of a hugely spiritual nature, and believing of supernaturality, has produced perhaps more than it's fair share, and I appreciate what those results have been, by and large.

Last edited by rifleman; 04-13-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
at the end of the day, all those attempts at first class bearings will (seem to?) come to naught. congratulations!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,191 times
Quote:
Nope. If you wish, you can take my words above as proof that I am completely objective about religion and it's accomplishments. I just happen to also recognize it's huge failings as well. And all I'm saying is that inspired people do inspired things, even if the basis for that inspiration is perhaps flawed.

Besides being an atheist, I'm also a highly rational scientist, open to all possibilities and conclusions. I just seem to prefer the more logical, common-sense ones. Aside from that, and to my OP, many old churches and lots of Mozart's and Beethoven's music, for example, are truly beautiful, and was probably somewhat influenced by their own Christian roots.

By comparison, an evangelical tent, or The Church of The Modern Messiah, made from Steel Buildings.com, hardly qualify. What were they thinking?

You may, on your own thread about atheism's contributions to this world, wax eloquent about them if you so wish. But be careful; the glimmering light of knowledge may flicker in your head, however briefly!
I don't think many of the trappings of religion are as a result of divine inspiration as it is a desire to create a mythology around the grandeur of the religion. From the ceremonial dress of the Pope to the ironic opulence of many churches, it's meant for show and and as a means to an end... reaching converts or exhibiting the power of the particular church/religion. With respect to music, you happen to favor classical music and are therefore making the assumption between religiosity and performance. Who knew their true faith? And I enjoy modern music... much of which is anything but pious... the music moves me but I doubt it is inspired by faith. There are great musicians and many of them happen to be people of faith... many of them happen to be people of no faith... they can all make great music as they are great musicians and will take inspiration from daily lives. For all of his many gifts, I'm fairly sure Jesus would suck on the bass.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Shawn, I know precisely why they sing and design with such "divine" inspiration. Because they believe with all their heart and "soul".

BTW, and this truly is an entirely different thread topic, but "belief", no matter how heartfelt and inspirational, is still no proof of "existance" of God. Millions do believe, butg then again, tens of millions (growing) don't. To that, I'll point out I also know that others, with absolutely no religious affilitation, can and do produce monumental works in both music and art/architecture. Christianity is not a required precursor for great works of architectural or musical or theatrical art. It just happens to drive some talented folks to greatness.

check these out:

Google Image Result for http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05/11/wondersoftheworld/image/11hearst3.jpg

or...

http://www.instablogsimages.com/imag...bai-1_7071.jpg

or...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...01_800x528.jpg

or... this religious example

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/trail/c...chitecture.jpg

or, alternately, this religiously inspired "blight"...

http://www.geocities.com/los_angeles...dy_Angels1.jpg

Philosophical and spiritual intensity does breed fabulous creative results. Christianity, being of a hugely spiritual nature, and believing of supernaturality, has produced perhaps more than it's fair share, and I appreciate what those results have been, by and large.
Quote:
Really, so I take it you have asked them what they are feeling in their heart and soul. So, what are they feeling in their heart and soul?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Default Symphony in the key of June:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post

I'm just wondering rifleman have you ever wondered why they are so intense when they sing and so much passion when they sing?

I'm also just wondering do you question when they sing to God, or do you just like the music and don't pay attention who they are singing too?

I was just wondering, not wanting to start an arguement, because some atheist may see this and want to start with the back and forth issue of God. I was just wanting to know?

This atheist did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828

have you ever wondered who or why they are inspired, or do you not care about that, just the music?

Ahhh! You mean its as though he hears the music, but denies the band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality