Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times

Advertisements

Its pretty simple for me. I don't believe god exists. If he does exist and wants me to know about he has to prove he exists to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Still beating that ad populum dead horse I see.
We've been 'round-n-'round on this before sans: //www.city-data.com/forum/22055259-post237.html

"Proof", "Evidence", "Truth", in the Arena of World Merit , are a EPIC FAIL and get trounced and crushed by ad Populum.
AGAIN...sorry that you don't like that fact...but that's the way the world goes 'round.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
And that is just another example of the linguistic trickery you engage in to substitute for any substantive arguments. All you are doing is looking around the universe we find ourselves in - listing the attributes of it - then cherry picking some of them and saying "There are the attributes of my god - therefore god exists".

In essence all you are doing is re-labeling your ignorance "god" and acting like that means a god exists. You would make just as much sense (that is, none) if you re-labelled it "Purple crayon".

There is nothing there to parse out. Your entire belief system is built on having had an emotional reaction to meditation one day and then deciding to call that reaction "god". You have then spent decades misrepresenting science in order to make it sound like that science supports the conclusion you reached from that emotional reaction - that a god exists.

But the science supports no such thing. There is simply no science what soever suggesting there is any intelligent agent behind the creation of our universe or us - or that the universe itself is an intelligent thinking agent - as many of your claims suggest it is.
Just as a man that exists called Barack Obama has the title of "President" in this country, based upon his attribute of winning the election held...there is an entity that exists called "Nature" or "Universe" that can be given the title "God" based upon its attributes of creating our reality, controling that reality through its known laws, and providing all that is required to maintain and sustain that which has been created by it.
For you to call the creation, control, and maintenance & sustinance of all there is "cherry-picking attributes" is bogus. If those aren't the attributes that would denote and define "God"...what more could be asked for? The evidence for "Nature/Universe" and "God" are exactly the same.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
We've been 'round-n-'round on this before sans: //www.city-data.com/forum/22055259-post237.html

"Proof", "Evidence", "Truth", in the Arena of World Merit , are a EPIC FAIL and get trounced and crushed by ad Populum.
AGAIN...sorry that you don't like that fact...but that's the way the world goes 'round.
Yes we have...You were wrong then and you are still wrong.....Three men make a tiger is a Chinese proverb or chengyu (four-character idiom). Three men make a tiger refers to an individual's tendency to accept absurd information as long as it is repeated by enough people. It refers to the idea that if an unfounded premise or urban legend is mentioned and repeated by many individuals, the premise will be erroneously accepted as the truth. This concept is analogous to communal reinforcement or the fallacy of argumentum ad populum.
Three men make a tiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Yes we have...You were wrong then and you are still wrong.....Three men make a tiger is a Chinese proverb or chengyu (four-character idiom). Three men make a tiger refers to an individual's tendency to accept absurd information as long as it is repeated by enough people. It refers to the idea that if an unfounded premise or urban legend is mentioned and repeated by many individuals, the premise will be erroneously accepted as the truth. This concept is analogous to communal reinforcement or the fallacy of argumentum ad populum.
Three men make a tiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, I'm not wrong. You are still hung up on "proof", "evidence", "truth", etc, being the end all and be all of things. IT'S NOT...not in the ways that really carry any influence and power in this world.

In any contest I'd rather be "Always Dominates" then "Always True".

Your "Three Men Make a Tiger" example doesn't do anything to my case but bolster it.

The concept that "God Is" needs nothing more than ad pop to get the indomitable power and influence it has been using all along to crush and trounce the platform you tout.

You like facts? Try this one again--In the Arena of World Merit and Influence Theism has been whooping up on Atheism for thousands of years.
No platform worth its salt has ever been so patently unsuccessful for so long.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
No, I'm not wrong. You are still hung up on "proof", "evidence", "truth", etc, being the end all and be all of things. IT'S NOT...not in the ways that really carry any influence and power in this world.

In any contest I'd rather be "Always Dominates" then "Always True".

Your "Three Men Make a Tiger" example doesn't do anything to my case but bolster it.

The concept that "God Is" needs nothing more than ad pop to get the indomitable power and influence it has been using all along to crush and trounce the platform you tout.

You like facts? Try this one again--In the Arena of World Merit and Influence Theism has been whooping up on Atheism for thousands of years.
No platform worth its salt has ever been so patently unsuccessful for so long.
If a poll was taken among the pollsters here, you would indeed be determined to be wrong. And, you must then accept it due to your obsession with ad populum arguments. Already the poll is 2-0, so you lose.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
If a poll was taken among the pollsters here, you would indeed be determined to be wrong. And, you must then accept it due to your obsession with ad populum arguments. Already the poll is 2-0, so you lose.
Don't know how you haven't gotten hip to it yet...I've said it a jillion times...I said, in the "Arena of WORLD Merit and Influence" Theism trounces and crushes Atheism.

You can always find some group of people that agree about almost anything.
You guys do get over among your own, of course...but you have always failed miserably when you look at things overall. And that's a fact.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Don't know how you haven't gotten hip to it yet...I've said it a jillion times...I said, in the "Arena of WORLD Merit and Influence" Theism trounces and crushes Atheism.

You can always find some group of people that agree about almost anything.
You guys do get over among your own, of course...but you have always failed miserably when you look at things overall. And that's a fact.
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
If you have something to contest my statement, "In the "Arena of WORLD Merit and Influence" Theism trounces and crushes Atheism"...bring it.

I know you don't like that fact sans...but that's just the breaks of life Dude...things don't always go the way you'd like them to.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
If you have something to contest my statement, "In the "Arena of WORLD Merit and Influence" Theism trounces and crushes Atheism"...bring it.

I know you don't like that fact sans...but that's just the breaks of life Dude...things don't always go the way you'd like them to.
I'll grant you this much....The popularity of god belief is evidence that the majority of people in the world are believers....It in no way makes them correct, not is it evidence that any gods exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality