Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Its often asserted by Christians that God does not send anyone to hell, that those who go there are there by their own "choice"; that is the people in hell don't want to submit to God, so God gives them what they want. Spend enough time on religion forums and you will come across this assertion.

Now my question is, if all the people in hell are there because they "choose" to be, then why send out missionaries?
Missionaries are sent out to find the few people out there who will give their life to God. It is a given that most of the world is going to hell, the Bible states this clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,251 times
There is no Hell, Tarturis, Hades, or whatever. That's a human conception to make people fear not following what the church says your supposed to do.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 AM

74 posts, read 126,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I believe supposedly you are not punished for ignorance; only if you know and you choose No.
I would guess that most Christians would disagree with you. That is a primary purpose of the missionaries, to spread the word so that those who are ignorant to the salvation may be saved. Christianity states that there is only one way to heaven and that is accepting Jesus as the savior. All of those who do not, whether by choice or ignorance, are going to the firey furnace. That includes the Chinaman from 1 AD. and all infants who are ignorant of the holy word. There is no ignorance clause in the law or in the bible. Anyone who does not accept Jesus is going to hell, ask any Christian they will tell you.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
I would guess that most Christians would disagree with you. That is a primary purpose of the missionaries, to spread the word so that those who are ignorant to the salvation may be saved. Christianity states that there is only one way to heaven and that is accepting Jesus as the savior. All of those who do not, whether by choice or ignorance, are going to the firey furnace. That includes the Chinaman from 1 AD. and all infants who are ignorant of the holy word. There is no ignorance clause in the law or in the bible. Anyone who does not accept Jesus is going to hell, ask any Christian they will tell you.
Yup we all end up in hell the grave or an urn. They of course hope there is an escape clause like the rapture which has been pending for a few thousand years or so.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:07 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
There is no god, and no hell. So nobody is sending anybody to the made up hell. Religion has tried to create it own hell with the crusades, inquisition, or the many religious based wars, but still in reality no hell exist and no gods are casting souls into the fire. It is just humans trying to control other humans anyway they can.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Its often asserted by Christians that God does not send anyone to hell, that those who go there are there by their own "choice"; that is the people in hell don't want to submit to God, so God gives them what they want. Spend enough time on religion forums and you will come across this assertion.

Now my question is, if all the people in hell are there because they "choose" to be, then why send out missionaries?
Yes you are correct, God does not send people to hell. Missionaries help the church obey the great commission Matt 28:19. They help people learn that God is loving and sent Jesus to demonstrate His love for us. They show them how to accept God's love and forgiveness of their sins. And as far as the people who have never heard about Jesus, Romans 1:18-20 explains that no one will have an excuse for not knowing God. Hell is real and is eternal and everyone has a choice to make.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,400,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes you are correct, God does not send people to hell. Missionaries help the church obey the great commission Matt 28:19. They help people learn that God is loving and sent Jesus to demonstrate His love for us. They show them how to accept God's love and forgiveness of their sins. And as far as the people who have never heard about Jesus, Romans 1:18-20 explains that no one will have an excuse for not knowing God. Hell is real and is eternal and everyone has a choice to make.
Yeah, it's called the common grave of mankind. That's the original meaning of the words used by the biblical writers, not some later-day cleric power trip agenda.

And no it's actually not eternal. Because even long since dead Atheists & Agnostics & pagans have the hope of ressurection.

Oh, and BTW, if you and I die, we'll go there too.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Yeah, it's called the common grave of mankind. That's the original meaning of the words used by the biblical writers, not some later-day cleric power trip agenda.

And no it's actually not eternal. Because even long since dead Atheists & Agnostics & pagans have the hope of ressurection.

Oh, and BTW, if you and I die, we'll go there too.
You must reading a different "bible" Because God's Word teaches that hell is real and eternal for all those who reject Him. And you won't see me there because I'm going to be with Jesus

Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,400,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You must reading a different "bible" Because God's Word teaches that hell is real and eternal for all those who reject Him. And you won't see me there because I'm going to be with Jesus
That's not what the original words Sheol & Hades mean. It has nothing to do with eternal torment and damnation. It's simply the grave and that's it.

The only other words used were Lake of Fire and the term used by Jesus with reference to the Clergy who opposed him, Gehenna. It's interesting, Jesus never once directed that word Gehenna towards anyone else but the Clergy who eventually murdered him. He never used it against the Romans, Atheists, Agnostics, pagans, etc, only wicked Clergyman. That same type of wicked mentality that characterized the religious leaders that Jesus was at odds with, is the same exact mentality that exists today in this modern world's Ecclesiastical hierarchies of Christendom. Even Gehenna along with the phraze Lake of Fire are simply symbolic meanings of death eternally, with no hope of resurrection. Even Hell (hades) and Death are said to be cast or thrown into the Lake of Fire. Clearly they are not the same. It simply means that both will cease to exist forever. However, an individual todaywho persists in perpetuating a fraud and slander against God will get symbolically thrown there, which only means no hope of resurrection or life ever again. And yes, every one goes to the biblical hell, even Jesus did when he died and you are most certainly not better than Jesus.

Oh and I also quote from almost every known translation from the biblegateway.com link so that when I get the accusation of using a predjudiced version, it always rings hollow.

Fortunately this God dishonouring belief is not long lived anymore.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM

67 posts, read 103,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Missionaries are sent out to find the few people out there who will give their life to God. It is a given that most of the world is going to hell, the Bible states this clearly.
yes a double test of faith i would say, the sleepers just need activation and the missionaries must trust unto God as they trek through the unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality