Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
And thus we find God's commandments being slowly watered down just because we find it unpalatable to our modern way of living..

Spinach tastes yucks but our parents always insist we eat it during our growing years for our health etc. They were right.
Those that don't taste nice etc invariably are good for you.
Oops I forgot the commandment that says "Thou shalt not have a homosexual orientation" Number 11 was it or perhaps it was 13?

Please don't tell me you're bringing up the Leviticus Holyiness Code otherwise I'll have to stone my own child to death for being disobedient and then stone myself for having bacon and eggs this morning. Then perhaps stone the neighbour across the street because I know he's cheating on his wife... or wait, maybe it's the wife that gets stoned, not the husband?

PS I like spinach. Spinach and riccota cheese in puff pastry...yum.
But I don't like bananas, which most people think taste nice...yech.
Go figure. Must be because I'm gay that I've got it around the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Oops I forgot the commandment that says "Thou shalt not have a homosexual orientation" Number 11 was it or perhaps it was 13?

Please don't tell me you're bringing up the Leviticus Holyiness Code otherwise I'll have to stone my own child to death for being disobedient and then stone myself for having bacon and eggs this morning. Then perhaps stone the neighbour across the street because I know he's cheating on his wife... or wait, maybe it's the wife that gets stoned, not the husband?

PS I like spinach. Spinach and riccota cheese in puff pastry...yum.
http://www.signsnow.co.uk/photos/how_to_buy/joes3.jpg (broken link)

You do know that Joe's own home made specialty of the house is Liver and Onions ???

http://www.powerweb.net/kowalski/onions.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You do like to drop these puns don't you?

Bananas are good for proving creationism according to ray comfort.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
As you may or may not know, I have a friend that has homosexual attractions. He doesn't fit some type of "gay" description, doesn't go and throw himself out at every guy that approaches him, none of that. Most would probably mistake him for the average guy. He messed around with his cousin when he was a lot younger, but has not done anything since.

He's always wanted to get married and have children, nice car, nice house, etc. when he's older, but cannot fulfill his dream due to his homosexual attractions.

He's a Christian and believes in God with all of his heart. He's read the articles on the ex-gay ministry sites which claim to help homosexuals overcome their attraction. He's also read other sites that basically said "once a homosexual, always a homosexual." This does nothing for him, as he is more confused than before he began trying to figure out his attractions.

Anyway, the church constantly condemns homosexual acts. This is fine, except that he probably won't be attracted to women if he's attracted to his own sex (maybe it's possible, I really don't know). I really don't think it's fair to marry a woman if you can't "please" her.

He strongly believes in God, so what exactly does the church expect him to do with his attractions? Live a celibate lifestyle (HIGHLY doubt it, I mean who wants to go their entire life without having sex..human touch is good for the body and when you don't have it, you do crazy things...look at the Catholic priests). Marry a woman just to hide your sexuality? Accept it and act upon it even though it is a sin?... WHAT IS HE SUPPOSED TO DO?

EDIT: I am seeking help for my friend because he said he wants to know his options. Please don't assume I'm forcing my beliefs on him, because that is DEFINITELY not the case. We're both Christians, so I decided what the heck why not try City-Data ... He knows his business is out here, but it doesn't really matter because he could live in Africa for all you guys know.. so please try and remain on topic so we can find viable solutions to this situation
Homosexuality is a sin. period. Where does the bible say this? In the Ten Commandments. It is written, "Thou shalt not commit adultery". Adultery is the act of having sex with anyone who is not your spouse. God defined Marriage as between one woman and one man. So any sex you have with any person other then your husband if you are a female or your wife if you are a male, it is a sin. That includes sex with others who are married or not married. Those who are minors, Animals, or the dead. Jesus even raised the bar on this (since he is God he is allowed to modify his own rules). He said anyone who lusts after another person has already commited adultry with them in their heart. Jesus is saying, just thinking it is a sin.

Now the question is what is sin. A sin is something that God has said not to do. Every sin is ultimately commited against God. Since the earth, universe, everything belongs to him, any misuse of it all is against him.

So, in your friends case, he is having attacting feeling to the same sex. He must be warry that he does not lust because this will be sin. It is the same as any man watching woman and lusting. They are sinning in the very act. So, even though you might feel attracted to something we all must decide what we are going to do with are feelings. Feelings and emotions are fleeting. The good thing that I can say is that there is hope. Jesus came to save us from our sin. He can also give everyone of us the ability to overcome the desires to sin. Jesus works at the root of our being. It is good that you and your friend are Christians. This means that you have accepted what Jesus did on the cross (dying) as being sufficient to take your sins from you. And by his resurection we are resurrected into newness of life. That means we are no longer subject to the old ways of life. Our old man must die (the old desires and emotions) and we are free to live life, free from the bondages of sin and death.

The bible says in Phil 4:8 "Finally bretheren, whatso ever thing is true, whatso ever thing is noble, whatso ever thing is just, whatso ever thing is good, whatso ever thing is lovely, if there be an virtue if there be anything that is praise worthy, think on these things." Do not dwell on lusts and sins. Dwell on God on things that are good and pure. It is written "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee". Read the word, meditate on it. Reading the word of God is called "Washing by the water of the word". By reading the word our inner feeling and emotions and stray thoughts come under the power of Jesus Christ and are subject to him and are cleansed.

Your friend does not have to consider "his options", he merely needs to come boldly to the throne of grace. To Jesus Christ, who is the author and finisher of our faith. Jesus will give him power to overcome these feelings, because Jesus has overcome the world. It also says in the bible that there are blessings waiting in store for those who overcome.

It is written "And they overcame by the blood of the lamb and the word of thier testamony." Your friend needs to give his testimony of his life. This will enable him to overcome.

Finally Jesus said "I came that they might have life and life more abundantly". The life that your friend will lead, if he follows Jesus will be one of an Abundant life. So he does not need to despair, for Jesus Christ is the answer.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 PM

There's good reason to think that Jesus may have healed the Roman centurian's male lover in Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:1-10....with not one no word of "Go and sin no more" . Just sayin'

Would Jesus Discriminate? - Jesus affirmed a gay couple

......Wait for the apoplectic protestations....

Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
You do like to drop these puns don't you?

Bananas are good for proving creationism according to ray comfort.
*grin*

Now that video was bordering on being quite rude. The banana was designed to fit in a man's hand?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's great that you are trying to help your friend. I'd suggest that he find a Christian LGBT support group and a therapist. I think the best thing your friend needs right now is a good support system.
Best post so far.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:16 PM

713 posts, read 1,957,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If there's a god/Jesus, and he's the one most Christians say he is...then he loves you no matter what. If your friend lies to himself and to a woman and gets married, he's doing a terrible disservice to himself and to her and to their future children. Your friend should accept himself for who he is, live as he was born to be, and find a church that accepts him.
Do all people go to heaven?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Do all people go to heaven?
Dunno but I heard that all dogs do.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
sexual interest is not my identity. otherwise my brain would not be on my shoulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality