Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,972,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Obviously there is no middle ground with you and your religion. And you are saying that the crusaders never did anything wrong? I think maybe you might want to read up on history outside of the bible...Science has proven that things in the bible actually occurd. However, science has also disproved things that happened in the bible. Also history is very clear that the crusades where not about good and evil. It was about power, and forcing those that did not believe in GOD to be destroyed.

Christians then and now are okay with destroying a culture if they do not believe in the bible. How is this OK.

I could really care less if the bible is true...It is a simple matter of morals that religious people who think Homosexuality is wrong also see other cultures that do not believe in God as bad and they feel that it is okay for them to be hurt becasue it is a punishment from God for not believing. I am sorry but the God I believe in will not see anyone as good and evil...Since everyone has sin in them and has sinned then we will all go to the same place. In the bible it clearly says that one sin is no worse than the other...and that we are to follow the laws of man. The laws in many states say that homosexual marriage is legal...yet religious people still fight against changing that law. Look at California, they legalized it and then religious groups in Utah and Arizona organized an out of state campaign to change the laws back. The law was there and the bible says to follow that law...However, Christians sought to change that law...Odd. So it is then okay to practice some parts of what the bible teaches but not others? Who is to choose which to follow and which to not. Since you say that the bible is law...then should it not be my right to then change the bible to fit my agenda?
As I have stated, Muslims killed hundreds of thousands of Christians before the Crusaders got involved, and they destroyed 3,000 Christians churches.
If Muslims did not believe in spreading the faith by the sword, the Crusades never would of happened. And I never said Crusaders never did anything wrong, I just stated how the war got started.

And could you please show me where science has proven something spoken of in the Bible never occured?

We are to follow the laws of man up to the point that the laws of man do not break the laws of God. In Germany during World War II, the laws of Germany stated it's people were to hand over any Jews found so Hitler could burn them in his ovens. Would you of followed that law? For it was the law of man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Which university? What texbooks by scholars on textural criticism have you read? I see zero evidence of your claim of knowledge of textural criticism in your opinions. Only views from a devotional perspective. Which is fine for you personally. It may not really matter to you if your interpretation is inaccurate if it means something to you personally.

But the perspective you use DOES matter when you try to misuse out of context verses from the Bible to condemn whole groups of people when you haven't even studied it from a textural criticism perspective. You're not doing a very good job of using "apologetics" so far. Maybe you should try reading J.P Holdings articles from Tektonics Apologetics. (Someone linked to the site earlier). For a Christian Apologist he presents some half-way decent arguments.

In my experience most of the non-Christians here tend to just disregard any view contrary to their own--regardless of their value.

I'm working on my Master's Degree in Theology. I have admittedly only touched on some study of textual criticism, and haven't had any deep studies into it--but I have studied it a little in a couple of classes on the New Testament.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,972,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You need to actually READ your Bible instead of regurgitating church slogans, because what you are saying about references to homosexuality in the bible is just plain false. You DO know it wasn't written in English don't you?

Whenever I hear someone say that Sodom was destroyed because of homosexuality, I know they don't have a clue what they are talking about and probably haven't even read the story or any of the other verses that mention Sodom throughout the Bible. And they certainly don't know anything about the culture and laws of Abrahamic times.

Post all the verses you are referring to which supposedly condemn homosexuality (if you actually know which ones they are) and I'll show you what they mean in the original context of their whole chapters, the culture, the pagan religious practices, and the language of the time. Most of the handful of references to same-sex acts or roles, had to do with idolatrous practices in temples while worshipping pagan fertility gods.
I don't have time to post all the verses, yet this one should be enought.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, (OR PRATICE HOMOSEXUALITY,) or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people-NONE OF THESE WILL INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

This is not regurgitating any church slogans, this comes right out of Gods Word. If you have a problem with that, I would suggest you take it up with God. Don't blame the church for following His commandments.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I don't have time to post all the verses, yet this one should be enought.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, (OR PRATICE HOMOSEXUALITY,) or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people-NONE OF THESE WILL INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

This is not regurgitating any church slogans, this comes right out of Gods Word. If you have a problem with that, I would suggest you take it up with God. Don't blame the church for following His commandments.
Now that verse alone is a good reason that these books of bigotry should be burned.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,694 times
Also, the fact still remains that their is no proof that it is gods word. Please If you have proof that it is gods word or have his phone number please by all means share this info. You have no proof that the things written in the bible are not simply mans word.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Female prostitutes are still good then?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Female prostitutes are still good then?
And actually the bible does not use the exact word "homosexual" some bibles still have it written that no man should lie with another man as he would a woman. So by this alone women are okay to practice homosexuality.

After all if they say one version of the bible is false or wrong they have to admit that they are all wrong.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
So by this alone women are okay to practice homosexuality.

This confirms what I heard some preachers saying about Aids being a way that god punishes humans for immorality.

Lesiban sex is the safest form of sex of all, or course. Hard to get aids that way.

So maybe God has blessed the lesbians.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
In my experience most of the non-Christians here tend to just disregard any view contrary to their own--regardless of their value.

I'm working on my Master's Degree in Theology. I have admittedly only touched on some study of textual criticism, and haven't had any deep studies into it--but I have studied it a little in a couple of classes on the New Testament.
Try reading Bruce Metzger's textbook "The Text of the New Testament" if you want a more conservative/evangelical viewpoint. Or his protege Bart Ehrman's textbook "The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings" or his later books written for the lay public. Bart Ehrman (who started his career as an evangelical conservative Christian) is now an agnostic, so you might find his work a little confronting. Apparently many conservative fundamentalist Christians who take his classes as part of their degree in Theology, get a bit of an eye-opener.

Both scholars are very well known and well respected (although Metzger died 2 years ago). Metzger is probably one of the most cited scholars on the NT. And Ehrman is probably one of the most published.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
And actually the bible does not use the exact word "homosexual" some bibles still have it written that no man should lie with another man as he would a woman. So by this alone women are okay to practice homosexuality.

After all if they say one version of the bible is false or wrong they have to admit that they are all wrong.
Oh, but some versions of the bible do use that word.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,

International Standard Version (©2008)
You know that wicked people will not inherit the kingdom of God, don't you? Stop deceiving yourselves! Sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals,

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Don't you know that wicked people won't inherit the kingdom of God? Stop deceiving yourselves! People who continue to commit sexual sins, who worship false gods, those who commit adultery, homosexuals,

1 Corinthians 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality