Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times

Advertisements

If you mean ToftN's post, it's certainly getting down to the basics of matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its actually over stated a bit. we don't know if everything is conserved and everything lasted for ever.

But, if we do take your starting "if as the point, then its acceptable to state "life" came from "life".

life came from life ... so theist, and many atheist, are misunderstanding our relationship to the system we have.

but you are correct, many people don't like the answer that we are just part of a system better described as "insert the most valid claim we can have" and just ignore, change, and deny it. No matter how much less valid they are being.
Life is an exorgenic chemical reaction, it is a subset of none living chemistry. You can just ignore, change, and deny it, it just makes your question begging assertion less valid.

I know you will not like this answer, your sect of atheism never does.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
The brain in a vat demonstrates remote control is not only possible but highly likely. As long as there's a functioning receiver, there's life.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Well, since we can see matter, it has to be nothing.
it has to be nothing?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
it has to be nothing?

Yes, for purposes of this forum.
Thou there's no proof of this nothing and we can see something.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Life is an exorgenic chemical reaction, it is a subset of none living chemistry. You can just ignore, change, and deny it, it just makes your question begging assertion less valid.

I know you will not like this answer, your sect of atheism never does.
I don't like or dislike your answer. I only do how the universe works. You anti-whatever guys are the ones that place emtion over observation, not me.

Lets look at life. "life" is a volume of space that is doing a lot of work "w=f*d work. It actually is a volume that has nothing "alive" init, but it is doing so much work that we classify it as "alive". A cell, is the smallest unit doing so much work that we classify it as life.

Now, two simple notions that lead me to conclude that we are in a living system (not universal, thats too big) is a calculation and a measurement. The calculation is a "work" calculation comparing the work done in a cell to the work being done by the volume in question. second, a measurement, comparing an unknown volume to a known volume.

That really is enough for us regulars that don't have an axe to grind. It doesn't mean a god, but we don't have run away from the idea either. Us being surrounded by the biosphere offers a mechanism, explanation, and makes predictions. "deny everything" does not, thus its less valid.

To top it off, I go QM. QM demonstrates that the universe quantum computed you. Thats just a fact. You are a data construct of the universe. I can go deeper, but it basically self evident so I won't waste time.

You are the one that won't like the answer because my stance is more valid than your stance. you are also in this game for a different reason than I am. I only do how the universe works, I could care less about what literal fundy theist use and think.

its real simple harry ol' chum. whatever you classify a human as, the universe is "more" of that classification. to deny that is not a me problem. I also wont shy away from it because I am mad at how theist mis use that information.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Is a sperm alive and an egg?
I guess the sperm moves all around....so is it the egg that is not alive and becomes life, gabfest?
yes, they are cells. we classify those volumes of space/time as alive.

also, humans came from the biosphere. is the biosphere life?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
yes, they are cells. we classify those volumes of space/time as alive.

also, humans came from the biosphere.
is the biosphere life?
A womb? No one who has belly button knows.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
The brain in a vat demonstrates remote control is not only possible but highly likely. As long as there's a functioning receiver, there's life.
Except the brain that created the vat must be even more complex. Which simply moves the origin one step further while bot answering the question.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except the brain that created the vat must be even more complex. Which simply moves the origin one step further while bot answering the question.
Once you realize you are in a caldera you can start to search for its borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality