Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,214,846 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about Christianity and any other organized religion. I just want to become more spiritual and develop a relationship with a higher power.

I do like daoism and I have thought about practicing it. I've made no decision yet.

I think that's the next level of growth for me in my life.

Please, no debates or arguing in this thread, there is enough of that going on in the forum already.

Give your POv but please do not argue.

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,120,664 times
Hi Ron.
You just asking about becoming more spiritual makes me believe you are already spiritual enough.
Not sure why you want to have a relationship with a higher power.
Even thought North Korea is most likely more powerful than you I would suggest not having a relationship with them. Just my opinion.
Good luck on your journey.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 06-21-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: I’m hoping there’s a little truth in my silliness.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,681,277 times
Well Ron, it's interesting that you asked that question, it seems you already have some basis within you for some sort of belief in a higher power, let me make a suggestion, educate yourself, educate yourself about all the other different religions and cultures before you decide to settle on one particular cultural or religion and then be sure that you are comfortable with it, within yourself, don't let anybody tell you that this is the true one or that is the true one, the only person who really knows whether it is true, is you and only you and when you do find that particular one that you're comfortable with, embrace it completely and make it yours. Good luck on your journey.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Well, I’m afraid I’m going to have to disagree with ptsum on this one.
Since you said in your op “I am not talking about Christianity and any other organized religion.”
I would suggest you do not look into other belief systems.
Just be a kind and good person and look within yourself for the answers.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 06-21-2009 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Study all the belief systems :/ How do you know its not the beliefs of that little isolated group in the jungles of South Am

Old 06-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Well, I’m afraid I’m going to have to disagree with ptsum on this one.
Since you said in your op “I am not talking about Christianity and any other organized religion.”
I would suggest you do not look into other belief systems.
Just be a kind and good person and look within yourself for the answers.

Cheers,
Aeroman
Good to see you Aeroman as always, Oh I know he doesn't want to look at Christianity or any other type of organized religion, however there are other religions and cultures out there that he could look at and maybe draw upon them, when I say educate yourself about other religions and cultures it's basically to make yourself aware of what you don't want more so than what you do want. The more knowledge you obtain about other religions and cultures the better you can defend yourself against others and the more sure you are about your own, would you not agree.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Good to see you Aeroman as always, Oh I know he doesn't want to look at Christianity or any other type of organized religion, however there are other religions and cultures out there that he could look at and maybe draw upon them, when I say educate yourself about other religions and cultures it's basically to make yourself aware of what you don't want more so than what you do want. The more knowledge you obtain about other religions and cultures the better you can defend yourself against others and the more sure you are about your own, would you not agree.
Not sure about how much we should be defending what we believe in.
Maybe that’s some of the problems we have with those that believe differently.

I don’t seem to find myself defending what I believe so much as explaining why I don’t believe something.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:20 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,083,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am not talking about Christianity and any other organized religion. I just want to become more spiritual and develop a relationship with a higher power.

I do like daoism and I have thought about practicing it. I've made no decision yet.

Please, no debates or arguing in this thread, there is enough of that going on in the forum already.

Ron

Read your Bible and pray. That is how you get to be close to God.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:27 PM

157 posts, read 244,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Ron
I don't really know if anyone else can give you an answer to this one, since spirituality is such an intimate and personal aspect to someone, if it exists within him/her.

The pros and cons of educating yourself as to other belief systems have been covered here, but I got the impression you were asking more about what kind of habits you could develop to get in touch with your spiritual aspect than in finding a pre-existing belief system that "fits" you (I apologize now if that is not the case).

There are a couple of things you can do. Reading about other philosophies and spiritual ideas and theories can really only take you so far. Once you've explored some of the ideas out there, if that interests you, I'd recommend you try two methods for developing your spirituality.

One method you can use to explore and develop your spiritual side is writing in a journal. Instead of putting a lot of thought into what you're writing, just pour whatever is in your mind onto the page--without dissecting and analyzing it while doing so. Then make time later, when you've had time to distance yourself from it, to go back and read what you wrote. The process can be very interesting and illuminating.

The second method I would recommend is meditation. By that I mean finding a quiet place where you can just relax, close your eyes, and focus your mind on whatever questions you're asking yourself. Then pay attention to the answers that come to you instinctively, which they usually will, eventually.

If nothing else, either practice can be great at relieving you of stress and that awful feeling of being overwhelmed that most of us experience periodically. At its best, either practice can help you find out who you are, why you do what you do, and what you do or do not believe in, without interference, well-meaning or otherwise, from others.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Not sure about how much we should be defending what we believe in.
Maybe that’s some of the problems we have with those that believe differently.

I don’t seem to find myself defending what I believe so much as explaining why I don’t believe something.
Aeroman, you should spend more time believing in what you believe and not having to explain it, no matter what it is.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,651,993 times
Ron wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like you don't want to be part of a religious organization although you seem to be suggesting that you would like some advice. I would think you would need to determine what you really believe in some detail in order to begin a spiritual path. In other words, what does spirituality actually mean to you and what is the nature of a relationship with a higher power? If you seek advice from an individual who is involved with a particular religious sect you're more than likely just going to get a sermon on why their point of view is better than any other. It's a more difficult thing than it sounds like when you start to examine it. It's possible that you might meet some interesting people who could share their experiences with you if you were to attend a nondemoninational church which doesn't have a rigid set of rules and regulations that you're supposed to follow. However, in the end you're going to have to sort out what you feel drawn towards on your own but your OP leads me to believe that you like to think for yourself and and want to find your own path as opposed to just being instructed in what to believe so I think that's a good start. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality