Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM

63,850 posts, read 40,142,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Sure, I want that shiny new video game, but do I need it? Is there any reason to have it, beyond 'I want'? Will it just sit on a shelf and be unused?

To be more spiritual, I think we need to leave the 'want' behind. Before you make a purchase, decide: do you need it (ie, will it make a difference to your existance), or do you want it (is it just something 'cool' that won't fill a useful part of your life)?
This is where self-knowledge is important in understanding spirituality. Wants are nothing more nor less than learned answers to internal needs. The REASON you WANT . . . is because you have learned (somehow or through some associations) that it has the ability to satisfy some inner need(s) . . . whether you can identify the need(s) or not. Most of the associations we have with external need-satisfiers (wants) are learned subconsciously (without conscious thought) . . . so we often do not know what need(s) the "want" is appealing to.

Abstractions . . . like spirituality . . . are also need-satisfiers. Wanting to be more spiritual reflects a desire to satisfy some deeper inner need(s). Since it is an abstraction . . . we usually do have more conscious associations available and we can find out what those needs really are with a little introspection. Word associations with the term spiritual can help point the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,886,653 times
Some very good advice, and it just goes to show that there are people out there who have the right idea - that no path is the "right" one for someone else. Each person has to find their own "right" path.

You will know when you have found the one that is right for you when you feel that you are 'going home' and that you are absolutely certain inside that this is the one for you. You will not need to justify it or to try to persuade others, you will just quietly get on with it by yourself.

There is not safety in numbers as in some religions, but safety in certainty that you have the right answer for you.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
you have said some really good things about helping the community. i think you are on to something. your compassion for others will help in your spiritual journey.
turn away from materiality.
do not lean on a broken reed that will only pierce the heart.
only a stage before you get your golden wings and fly away.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,523,742 times
^
ooooooops, there goes my freedom: hacked to shreds by rasters and implications; even where not openly stated, still sticking like glue .....

worst of all: i might be an egotist!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,474,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am not talking about Christianity and any other organized religion. I just want to become more spiritual and develop a relationship with a higher power.

I do like daoism and I have thought about practicing it. I've made no decision yet.

I think that's the next level of growth for me in my life.

Please, no debates or arguing in this thread, there is enough of that going on in the forum already.

Give your POv but please do not argue.

Ron
Raja Yoga Meditation

Old 06-22-2009, 09:51 PM

378 posts, read 626,779 times
Try to have an open mind and try to imagine a world beyond what we can see and touch, believe anything is possible, and appreciate life, energy, God. The definition of spiritual would be nonphysical or not material. One thing you could do is start looking at people as souls, connected beyond time and the material world, and not just as bodies. Practice meditation and prayer.

For many people spirituality is the way they find meaning, hope, comfort and inner peace. Many people find spirituality through religion or paranormal TV shows. Some find it through a connection with nature. Others find it in their values and principles. It seems the body, mind and spirit are connected I guess. The need for spirituality seems to be a part of being human.

You could also think positive thoughts and form positive beliefs, improving your sense of well-being. Spirituality may not cure an illness, but it may help you feel better, prevent some mental problems and help you cope with stress or grief also.

Last edited by 17271; 06-22-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,855 times
Start Sky Diving. That will make you very spiritual very fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,730,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post

hey, got a life vest for ron and the others here, just in case ......?

YouTube - Deuter, Garden of gods, Temple of silence.

very nice ... lovely.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Start Sky Diving. That will make you very spiritual very fast!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are so right.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,192,485 times
Lots of good answers in this thread. Thanks to all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality