Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There were people that could read/write...but not a lot. They were likely written to be read to an entire church or group at a time. Fact is, we've got manuscripts dating from around 125 BC. We also have some OT manuscripts from before BC--such as the Isaiah scroll found with the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Yes, bits and pieces, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 PM

71 posts, read 112,159 times
I thought the Dead sea scrolls were written around the time of jesus, but none of them even mentioned him?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adryan View Post
I thought the Dead sea scrolls were written around the time of jesus, but none of them even mentioned him?

The Isaiah scroll contains most of the book of Isaiah. And it verifies that a scroll from the 1st century BC is almost word for word identical to a copy 1000 years later. It demonstrates the care given to maintaining the manuscripts accurately.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,030 times
I keep it simple. Yahushua taught from the scrolls (the Tanach) the 5 books of Moses, the Psalms and Prophets. He never taught from the new testament. LOL. It didn't exist. I go with what the Messiah taught, it was written in Hebrew with a smattering of Aramaic. There was NO misunderstanding in THAT. If you guys want to worship the Messiah and the new testament go right ahead. Most of christianity does. It was NOT what was intended. The Messiah NEVER said to worship HIM but to worship the Father who sent HIM. Just go back and read John 5:24 again to get the flavor. The Tanach never lied nor was it misinterpreted. Just that many men of the time (the Pharisees) added to it without license, and HE knew it. As the Messiah said "Behold I come in the volume of the scrolls as it is written of ME". As Mark said "Behold I have told you all things". You can stop with the mysteries, it's all there if you can read........but just don't read it through those greek eyeglasses or good luck with that. ;-)

Old 06-26-2009, 03:00 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Agreed, I am also into studying the bible in hebrew and greek. Until someone does that, I feel they want really have the full understanding of the bible, as seen here of someone who is misguided about the word Lord.
Ahh, since you are studying the Greek, then you must be familiar with the mistranslations of malakoi and arsenokoitai, which are erroneously used to condemn homosexuality?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
What I'm curious about is how could Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John could personally written all these letters and stories about this Jesus of Nazareth when the majority of the people of that time were illiterate, they couldn't read or write.
Playing Devil's Advocate for a second (funny choice of words, huh?), if Matthew actually existed, he was a tax-collector. That being the case, I would assume he would have had to been able to read and write.

That being said, Matthew is thought to have been written around 90-100 CE. This is probably out of his age range, huh? 92% of Mark's Gospel is contained in Matthew. The Virgin Birth and the geneology did not appear in the original versions of Matthew. Additionally, it was an anonymous writing until about 150 CE, when it was then attributed to Matthew. According to studies, the writers of Matthew corrected many errors Mark made concerning the Jewish ways of life. Lastly, Matthew, as well as Mark, relied heavily on the "Q" document (disclaimer: "Q" has never been proven to actually exist. It is a hypothesis only.)

Last edited by Fullback32; 06-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Added material

Old 06-26-2009, 03:10 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The bible today is not copied from the original, because that doesn't exist.

It's not about what language the bible was written in. It is about the bible today being a copy, of a copy of a copy of a copy, of many other copies. Until the printing press was invented all those thousands of copies were written by hand. Each copy carried errors which were copied and new mistakes were added each time it was copied.

There is no way of knowing what the original text said.
You know sanspeur my last debates with you, just tells me to not entertain you. You only speak of things in your mind that you only seem to understand, so I want ever waste my time with you.

Once I see someone pulling things out of the air full of lies, then I don't really want to even be bothered with the person.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Ahh, since you are studying the Greek, then you must be familiar with the mistranslations of malakoi and arsenokoitai, which are erroneously used to condemn homosexuality?
YEs, I am familar with the text, but I tell people to read the Torah for themselves on the issue of homosexuality for themselves. If someone tell what it says, then they will think it is made up from the person.

I tell people if they really want to know, read the Torah on the issue and people will still have a problem.

The Torah speaks about what is natural and what is not natural, but once again read it and you will have a better understanding.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 06-26-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 03:21 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
You know sanspeur my last debates with you, just tells me to not entertain you. You only speak of things in your mind that you only seem to understand, so I want ever waste my time with you.

Once I see someone pulling things out of the air full of lies, then I don't really want to even be bothered with the person.
Lies? If they are lies, then I'm not the one who fabricated them. Perhaps I should have made it clear to you that I was speaking of the errors in the New Testament only....The topic of this discussion. I don't suppose you took the time to watch the videos, now did you?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Lies? If they are lies, then I'm not the one who fabricated them. Perhaps I should have made it clear to you that I was speaking of the errors in the New Testament only....The topic of this discussion. I don't suppose you took the time to watch the videos, now did you?
my best answer to you is to push the ignore button!!!!!!!!! I ignore people who seem to dish out nothing but bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality