Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM

28 posts, read 35,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
read the Quran all of it more than 600 pages then after that you judge

but not before that

The Quran is a record of the exact words revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad. It was memorized by Muhammad and then dictated to his Companions, and written down by scribes, who cross-checked it during his lifetime. Not one word of its 114 chapters, Suras, has been changed over the centuries, so that the Quran is in every detail the unique and miraculous text which was revealed to Muhammad fourteen centuries ago.
Understanding Islam and the Muslims - What is the Qur`an?

here is a link for the Quran (all verses)

in the left you can select the sura number and name
in the right you select any translation you like

and there is a tick to show the arabic text or to hide
and under it there is word tafsir if you click it you get more information

Read Quran Koran Qura'n القراÙ† الكريÙ… in English by Yusuf Ali
I second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:14 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,709,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do go back and forth between being and an agnostic, I admit. However, I do not think you have to believe in the Bible to believe in God.

The strongest point to me to say God believes is because I simply believe there is a degree of advanced technological know to be needed to human beings to exists. I am not saying that God necessarily mad Adam and Eve when he created humanity.

I am saying that much of nature to me it requires know how, not just accidents here and there.
Granted some logicians talk about the rules of logic cannot accept the existence of God. Well, there is a point where people do live life and make decisions based on intutition. Very often people end up right. The bottom line is, what you see around enough for you to at least say there may be enough evidence there in nature to say there may be a God that had to do with such wonderful technology?

Why is it easier to believe that a car could not become by accident than a tremendously more advanced creation of the human body?

Why do you ask the question for people to convince you that there is a God? Do you feel you are missing something in life? Do you long for more spirituality?

It seems you want to believe in God but want to have 100% proof that he exists. Well, you may not get that. All you need to know if you simply accept what is out there to be enough to believe in God or not.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Thank you for your post. I would like to believe in something greater out there, but the scientist side of me talks me out of it! I have everything I need, but one has to wonder if they are missing out on something. I do not need 100% proof, just more than what a book says.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
if you can't accept answers from a book why would you accept answers from people whos faith is based on the beliefs of what other people have told them? who have gotten their answers from what other people have told them, and so on.
do you want to be merely a believer and accept what you are told regarding spirituality or do you want direct and personal experience?
if you want direct experience then why be concerned with what other people think or believe?
what do you want?
my original comments were just to challenge the way that you're seeking spiritual answers but not intended to annoy you.
you express irritation at people who try to convert you but then you're on a forum consisting of, in large part, bible believing christians asking them to convince you.
i'm someone outside of that paradigm recognizing that there's something in you that is spiritually curious (at least) and telling you that you can find answers in a different way.
but that takes effort.
so do you want to make the effort or let others convince you and/or try to "convert" you?
(and i'm not saying that fundamentalist christians or whatever kind of religious christians) don't have spiritual experiences by the way).
I probably should have not said convince huh? I am seeking answers, and I guess I am looking for them to maybe tell me of their personal stories rather than quote the book (which anyone can do). I am spiritual I believe. I have had experiences but none of the God's presence kind. Those have proven more to me of their presence than the presence of God.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
read the Quran all of it more than 600 pages then after that you judge

but not before that

The Quran is a record of the exact words revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad. It was memorized by Muhammad and then dictated to his Companions, and written down by scribes, who cross-checked it during his lifetime. Not one word of its 114 chapters, Suras, has been changed over the centuries, so that the Quran is in every detail the unique and miraculous text which was revealed to Muhammad fourteen centuries ago.
Understanding Islam and the Muslims - What is the Qur`an?

here is a link for the Quran (all verses)

in the left you can select the sura number and name
in the right you select any translation you like

and there is a tick to show the arabic text or to hide
and under it there is word tafsir if you click it you get more information

Read Quran Koran Qura'n القران الكريم in English by Yusuf Ali
So I need to read another book to believe?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 PM

23,038 posts, read 34,481,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I am an agnostic, basically I just don't know either way. Convince me of God WITHOUT quoting anything from the Bible. I promise to listen ( or read!) with open mind.
Wow I haven't seen you in a long time! I hope all is well with you. I can't convince you that God is real, only He can do that. It's not even my job as a Christian to convince, all I can do is tell you I know in my heart that He is real because I have a person relationship with Him, and He loves you. I do believe the Bible is God's love letter to humanity and all your answers are in there. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to you, He can convince you, I can't.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Wow I haven't seen you in a long time! I hope all is well with you. I can't convince you that God is real, only He can do that. It's not even my job as a Christian to convince, all I can do is tell you I know in my heart that He is real because I have a person relationship with Him, and He loves you. I do believe the Bible is God's love letter to humanity and all your answers are in there. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to you, He can convince you, I can't.
Hi, yea all is well. Very hard year last year, but we are holding up! I am glad you have what you need. I may someday find what (if anything) I am looking for.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,956 times
Quote:
I am an agnostic, basically I just don't know either way. Convince me of God WITHOUT quoting anything from the Bible. I promise to listen ( or read!) with open mind.
I have said this about me before. When I was a child in St. Paul's orphanage I had the first of two identical experiences. In those experiences I was taken to a place, where My Mother, who's name is Mary was holding my left hand smiling with so much love to comfort a child who did not know what was happening to him. And I named after My Father, who's name is Roman, (I am Roman Catholic) was walking on a path, where I could see a shadow of man in a white robe holding my right hand.

And as I went turned back to see where it is that I came from, I was told; Don't look back, do not be afraid and these are the things to come. And as I walked on this path, I saw people running in and out of buildings that were on fire, there was fear in all, there was no place for anyone to hide. I saw people running to churches and I saw a multitude of people surrounding and coming from three pyramids. The Three Great Pyramids out of seven in Cairo, Egypt. And I saw a mountain range burning behind the Three Great Pyramids.

And as My Mother and Father drew away from My experience, it was said to me; On this day, I have begotten you, My Son and thou art a priest forever according to the Melchisedech Order.

I do not lie. You may call the church in Pittsburgh to verify things that I have said here and the things that I have told them that was to come. Although, those things that I have said have already happened.

You might want to read through the things that I have wrote here on CD

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM

23,038 posts, read 34,481,567 times
Quote:
Hi, yea all is well. Very hard year last year, but we are holding up! I am glad you have what you need. I may someday find what (if anything) I am looking for.
Yes if you seek Him you will find Him, ask and keep on asking, seek and keep seeking, knock and keep knocking. Just be careful who you listen.
Sorry to hear about your hard time last year.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes if you seek Him you will find Him, ask and keep on asking, seek and keep seeking, knock and keep knocking. Just be careful who you listen.
Sorry to hear about your hard time last year.
I will, and thanks.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,091,922 times
Quote:
Cause of the universe? Big bang theory comes to mind.
What caused it?

And before it? Where did the space for the universe come from? The matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality