Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,990,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Sorry Campbell, but not only did I read the full context of your statement, but I posted the entire statement in my reply. Instead of saying things like "no one else", maybe it would be better to be more specific if you only mean certain people.

I'm not trying to hang you or anyone else. But you need to be more accurate. And now you're trying to make a comparison with using Jesus and the pharisees, by relating it to you? Please don't flatter yourself by trying to put youself up on the same level as Jesus. No, I have not considered the ministry.

You're talking about non-informed, non-spiritual, and one's who do not believe the biblical account. But your posts seem to suggest that ANYONE who should disagree with your views, are non-informed, non-spiritual, and basically atheists. True, there are some who have said they are atheistic, but that doesn't mean that everyone is.

With regard to the dino/human co-existence view, you claim the Bible supports that view, therefore dinos and humans existed together. The problem is that the Bible never states dinosaurs lived at the same time as humans. Large known animals, I would agree with. But dinosaurs? That's sheer imaginative speculation. The examples you've cited in this thread (and others of the same subject) are based on pure assumption (and complete disregard for what's actually known), most of which seems to be from what someone else has claimed.

If you believe that dinos and humans existed together, that's fine. But passing that off as an absolute Biblical truth is stretching it. I won't get into the history of English translations of the Bible, but suffice it to say that there has been plenty of errors from mistranslation as well as spurious notes which were also added that were not found in the earliest close-to-original non-English texts. It helps to take into account the cultural views at the time when the translations were made. Much of that (translation errors) stems back to views and understandings during the period of the so-called "Dark Ages". That's not to say everything Biblically is incorrect, but it can and does mean some things are.
If you read my post, then you should understand the context of my statement. And clearly, the Book of Job describes dinosaurs, for there is no other animal on earth that could fit the description given. And we need not point to the Dark Ages as the end all for Scripture. The Dead Sea Scrolls were in existance long before the Dark Ages. And to believe that two chapters found in the Book of Job have been so mistranslated, that today we cannot be sure of their accuracy, would be foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 AM

4,802 posts, read 8,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
If you read my post, then you should understand the context of my statement. And clearly, the Book of Job describes dinosaurs, for there is no other animal on earth that could fit the description given. And we need not point to the Dark Ages as the end all for Scripture. The Dead Sea Scrolls were in existance long before the Dark Ages. And to believe that two chapters found in the Book of Job have been so mistranslated, that today we cannot be sure of their accuracy, would be foolish.
Well no, it would actually be a sign of one's intelligence to question whether or not Job has been translated verbatim.

Research shows that the Book of Job, unlike many other books of the bible, was written in Arabic, not Hebrew. Considering the lack of standardization in language translation throughout the Dark Ages and the Renaissance, there is a greater chance that it was mistranslated before 1611 as those who translated the King James version were working from manuscripts which had begun in Aramic, translated to Hebrew, translated to Greek, translated to Latin, translated to English.

How can you seriously believe that a manuscript which has gone through approximately four to five language translations is inherently without error? Those doing the translating were mere mortal, fallible, human beings.

Protestant translators sometimes did not have access to all of the Received Greek Official Text, and being familiar with the Vulgate, they sometimes put words into their translations based upon the Latin which were never there in the original Greek. There are at least 80 places in the New Testament, the KJV adopts Latin readings not found in the Greek and the Old Testament received the same treatment.

I would compare it to that game of telephone we played as children. You whisper something to the person next to you and they in turn whisper it to the person next to them and so on until the phrase makes its way around the circle. By the time it makes it back to you, it rarely resembles what you said in the first place.

Get over this "people riding dinosaurs" thing. Dinosaurs and people did not exist contemporaneously. Simply because Job describes something you believe has to be a dinosaur does not make it so. Dinosaurs did not exist a mere few millenia ago. All the proof goes completely against that little theory.

That would be like looking at the Egyptian hieroglyphs and deciding that all Egyptians must have all been walking around with animal heads on human bodies (Bast, Horace, etc.) simply because the artwork shows it to be so.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:00 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,382,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I am sick and tired of religion being rammed down my throat and then subsidizing the bastards with my hard earned money to boot.

Think of the revenue if we yanked their tax exempt status...
Revenue for who? More money forcibly taken from American families and transferred to politicans and faceless bureaucrats to blow on subsidizing the killing of unborn babies in foreign lands, build bigger prisons, pay huge salaries for unelected "czars" to destroy free enterprise....??

Any "revenue" taken by politicians from churches is taken from the members of those churches, your neighbors. In my opinion nobody should be encouraging the stealing of even more money from grassroots American citizens. The way I see it the current discontent all over America is not a matter of Democrats vs Republicans, it's a matter of Politicians vs THE PEOPLE!

Whose side are you on?

But I guess I'm a bit off topic here, unless of course the way politicians of all stripes are destroying our once great nation should, in my humble opinion, go the way of the dinosaur...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,382,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Since when was Mormonism graduated from a cult into a mainstream Christian sect?
"Mainstream" Christian churches tend to force upon their members a belief in the manmade consensus dictates of the scholars who attended the 4th and 5th century Nicene councils.

Restoration Christians do not bow down to the Nicene creeds, so they are not "mainstream" in that sense. They are not Catholics or Protestants, but they are Christians.

Latter-day Saints believe that the original Church of Jesus Christ was restored to this earth with once again pure doctrines and legitimate Melchizedek Priesthood, and once again on a foundation of revelation and living prophets and apostles authorized by Jesus Christ.

In my view, Christians are those who accept Jesus Christ and who strive to live by his teachings.

At the heart and core of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and every faithful member of that church is a firm belief in and worship of God the Father and Jesus Christ. Every prayer we utter, every priesthood ordinance administered, every meeting we attend, concludes with a sincere prayer to God the Father that ends "in the name of Jesus Christ".

Mormons testify of Jesus Christ the Son of God:

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Well no, it would actually be a sign of one's intelligence to question whether or not Job has been translated verbatim.

Research shows that the Book of Job, unlike many other books of the bible, was written in Arabic, not Hebrew. Considering the lack of standardization in language translation throughout the Dark Ages and the Renaissance, there is a greater chance that it was mistranslated before 1611 as those who translated the King James version were working from manuscripts which had begun in Aramic, translated to Hebrew, translated to Greek, translated to Latin, translated to English.

How can you seriously believe that a manuscript which has gone through approximately four to five language translations is inherently without error? Those doing the translating were mere mortal, fallible, human beings.

Protestant translators sometimes did not have access to all of the Received Greek Official Text, and being familiar with the Vulgate, they sometimes put words into their translations based upon the Latin which were never there in the original Greek. There are at least 80 places in the New Testament, the KJV adopts Latin readings not found in the Greek and the Old Testament received the same treatment.

I would compare it to that game of telephone we played as children. You whisper something to the person next to you and they in turn whisper it to the person next to them and so on until the phrase makes its way around the circle. By the time it makes it back to you, it rarely resembles what you said in the first place.

Get over this "people riding dinosaurs" thing. Dinosaurs and people did not exist contemporaneously. Simply because Job describes something you believe has to be a dinosaur does not make it so. Dinosaurs did not exist a mere few millenia ago. All the proof goes completely against that little theory.

That would be like looking at the Egyptian hieroglyphs and deciding that all Egyptians must have all been walking around with animal heads on human bodies (Bast, Horace, etc.) simply because the artwork shows it to be so.
Before your write off mans coexistance with dinosaurs, maybe you should consider all the other evidence that is out there. You can make an argument for animal heads on human bodies, yet how can you explain away all the accurate depictions of dinosaurs from ancient artwork. Your belief that all proof goes completely against it's reality is simply not true. The problem is, most of the proof is simply ignored by science, and only because that proof does not agree with their theories. And that is the reason so much of this evidence has never been consider for scientific review. It is simply (IGNORED). Your belief is based on filtered evidence. And it's been that way for a longtime. Science pushes their personal beliefs, before actual evidence. How can you believe anything when science (REFUSES) to consider the other evidence? Where is the science in that?

http://www.omniology.com/3-Ceramic-Dinos.html

And if Dinosaurs died off millions of years ago, why then are they finding human foot prints and dinosaur foot prints together in stone? Consider link below.

http://www.omniology.com/delknewmandino.htm

Last edited by Campbell34; 08-09-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,700,272 times
Quote:
Before your write off mans coexistance with dinosaurs, maybe you should consider all the other evidence that is out there. You can make an argument for animal heads on human bodies, yet how can you explain away all the accurate depictions of dinosaurs from ancient artwork. Your belief that all proof goes completely against it's reality is simply not true. The problem is, most of the proof is simply ignored by science, and only because that proof does not agree with their theories. And that is the reason so much of this evidence has never been consider for scientific review. It is simply (IGNORED). Your belief is based on filtered evidence. And it's been that way for a longtime. Science pushes their personal beliefs, before actual evidence. How can you believe anything when science (REFUSES) to consider the other evidence? Where is the science in that?

omniology.com

And if Dinosaurs died off millions of years ago, why then are they finding human foot prints and dinosaur foot prints together in stone? Consider link below.

longevity Chart Creation
Oh boy

GumbyTheCat: The Texas Two-Step (http://gumbythecat.blogspot.com/2008/08/texas-two-step.html - broken link)

Transparent fakery : Pharyngula

Fred Flintstone waded here: Hoaxsters ready to teach creationism to Texas kids « Millard Fillmore’s Bathtub

Stones and Bones: Carl Baugh's latest Fake

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM

33,622 posts, read 37,267,324 times
Yup, a bunch of "tomfoolery", good enough to fool our Tom, but hey that doesn't take much does it?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:02 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,662,115 times
Quote:
Evidently you don't have much of an idea about the historical translations into English. Just looking at KJV you can find plenty of errors, notes, etc., that may have been found in earlier translation attempts but were copied by scribes into the KJV, which in turn became the English version most commonly accepted.

I didn't say the Book of Job was necessarily mistranslated. You are referring to the behemoth and the leviathan, aren't you? A large portion of the Book of Job was found among the fragments of the Qumran Dead Sea Scrolls, which means parts of it are missing. I don't know if the accounts of the behemoth and leviathan were included among the parts that were recovered.

Regardless, where in the Book of Job does it say they are dinosaurs? They are only described as large beasts or animals, but no where does it indicate they were dinosaurs. To conclude that it means they were dinos is strictly imaginary. I think it's pretty clear where you picked up on that scenario. Now, what were you saying about being foolish?

Here, a few easy starting points for you.

Behemoth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leviathan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dead Sea scrolls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup, a bunch of "tomfoolery", good enough to fool our Tom, but hey that doesn't take much does it?
Of course, it must be a fake right sanspeur. You don't need any science to tell you this. After all, your personal opinion is all the science we need here. And sad to say, that's all the science we will get from your side. It's called faith based science. And this is just one more example of evidence ignored, science dismissed, and personal opinions believed. And of course, Alvis Delk, the archeologist who made the discovery. He now must suffer character assassination. It's obvious, anyone who dares to present evidence that would refute the theory of evolution must have their credibility destroyed.

longevity Chart Creation

Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,949,419 times
Default "The Facts do Lie!" P4J!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
How can you seriously believe that a manuscript which has gone through approximately four to five language translations is inherently without error?

Answer: because he wants to. Correction: "needs to".

There are at least 80 places in the New Testament, the KJV adopts Latin readings not found in the Greek and the Old Testament received the same treatment.

I would compare it to that game of telephone we played as children.

(snip for brevity...)

By the time it makes it back to you, it rarely resembles what you said in the first place.

Same answer. There are none so dedicated as those who sincerely need to believe!

Answer: What Proof? WE get to decide what "proof" is, and if it doesn't support the Christian mythology, it's incorrect. Just ask Dr. Baugh!
His easily refuted baseless "proofs" are proof enough for us!

Well? They were real, weren't they, Tom? Tom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality