Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 AM

22,379 posts, read 19,299,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I figured I would start a thread about this concept.

What are your thoughts?
there are people who say man landing on the moon is fiction, but we usually call those people "ignorant" and lacking in understanding of something beyond their limited capacity to grasp, rather than saying that indeed it is fiction, and man never went to the moon

it would be more accurate for a person to say "i don't get it it" about any holy book, than to say it is "fiction"

a person's ignorance or inability to grasp an elegant complex set of concepts (whether it is calculus, a holy book, or subatomic particles of matter), just means they are lacking in the tools and skills to understand and grasp the body of material

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-15-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,937,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are people who say man landing on the moon is fiction, but we usually call those people "ignorant" and lacking in understanding of something beyond their limited capacity to grasp, rather than saying that indeed it is fiction, and man never went to the moon

it would be more accurate for a person to say "i don't get it it" about any holy book, than to say it is "fiction"

a person's ignorance or inability to grasp an elegant complex set of concepts (whether it is calculus, a holy book, or subatomic particles of matter), just means they are lacking in the tools and skills to understand and grasp the body of material

So it is impossible for anyone to understand the concepts, but view them as fantasy and not representative of reality?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,169 times
As fiction it's an incredibly dull book, except for the occasional "holy sh*t" shockers that are worse than any Saw movie. It's written very poorly, and yes I know it's been translated, but the stories skip around so much, and it really lacks continuity.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,846 times
It is an incredibly dull book and should be listed in the metaphysical section of the bookstore, I find that there is very little of anything of moral value in it and it is so contradictory. That's just my opinion.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:43 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,962,865 times
Fiction? I think that's the wrong word to describe it. I think of it more as mythology. While the word myth is often used to describe a falsehood, technically speaking, myths do not infer truth or falsity. Rather, myths are "sacred" stories that explain how the world began, the human condition and events. Myths often contain a grain of truth, but then that truth is lost somewhere in the telling of the story. The Illiad, for example, is not a history, but rather a myth built upon an actual event - the Trojan War. The bible falls into this same realm. Most Jews, including Rabbis from different Jewish sects I've talked to, will say that many of the stories in the Old Testament (Tanach) are not to be thought of as histories (in the technical sense). They are stories based on historical events to teach life lessons. I just think "fiction" is the wrong word to use.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,077,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
As I recall, historically it's been significantly edited for content and continuity several dozen times now, with a lot of the original stuff (Which probably did in fact conflict) removed or smoothed over.
You recall wrong.

Quote:

Any good editor can make a book look convincingly good, but unfortunately for them, their knowledge of science (simply as a tool for reliably analyzing highly improbable claims) was non-existant. Back then in the intellectual dark ages, they thought that if they just said it, people would just believe it.

They also had some excellent means of persuasion back then which are not generally available to the avid Christian proselytizer now (stonings, torture, ex-communication, etc etc.) [The Muslims, though, they still stone or shoot the opposition. For now... Ain't tyrannical ignorance grand?].

Too bad, huh? Life would be so much easier for the Church if it could just "eliminate" the opposition!
Good thing the Bible wasn't an "edited" piece of work to make things look good.

If the church wanted to "edit" it, there are plenty of things that people like you point to as contradictions that could have been removed.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,077,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It is an incredibly dull book and should be listed in the metaphysical section of the bookstore, I find that there is very little of anything of moral value in it and it is so contradictory. That's just my opinion.

You should try reading it sometime.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,757,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

That apart, I see tons of atheists deliberately posting their diatribe in the R & P forum, because they beg to be read and humoured, for hardly any of the theists visit their boring little sub-forum.

Is attention all you guys seek? I thought there were perimeters. You'll never find me in the A&A interrupting your dialogues apart from the rare one or two-liners, like in ShepMom's religion at work thread. And I would expect that reciprocity

Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,694,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

That apart, I see tons of atheists deliberately posting their diatribe in the R & P forum, because they beg to be read and humoured, for hardly any of the theists visit their little sub-forum.

Is attention all you guys seek? I thought there were perimeters. You'll never find me in the A&A interrupting your dialogues apart from the rare one or two-liners, like in ShepMom's religion at work thread. And I would expect that reciprocity

The R&P forum is not just for Christianity posts. Now, if there were "tons" of atheists posting "diatribes" in the Christianity forum, you might have a leg to stand on.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

That apart, I see tons of atheists deliberately posting their diatribe in the R & P forum, because they beg to be read and humoured, for hardly any of the theists visit their boring little sub-forum.

There are plenty of 'christians' who post constantly in the A&A forums. Personally, I don't go into the Christian sub-forum because of how depressing it is in there.

It's not attention we seek at all, it's discussion. We're allowed to post in here ya know

Regarding the 'bible as fiction', a friend of mine who worked at a book store used to file the bible in the fiction section for funsies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality