Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,043,063 times

Advertisements

I figured I would start a thread about this concept.

I maintain that it is circular logic to aver that it is the infallible word of God when the only authority for that statement is the book itself.

Men chose what writings went into what is known as the Bible, whatever translation/version you care to name, and they had specific (usually political) reasons for choosing what the did.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-15-2009 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: inappropriate comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:20 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

I maintain that it is circular logic to aver that it is the infallible word of God when the only authority for that statement is the book itself.

Men chose what writings went into what is known as the Bible, whatever translation/version you care to name, and they had specific (usually political) reasons for choosing what the did.

What are your thoughts?
What is the bible if not fiction? It does have a smattering of history in it, but it's not a history book. It has outdated laws and rules to live by, but I wouldn't call it a "self help" book. Some of the faithful say it contains science, but whatever science it may contain is so old it is useless. There is a lot of fantasy in it like talking animals and so called miracles and such, but it's not in the league of the Harry Potter novels for entertainment value..

I guess I'd have to call it a fantasy, historic fiction novel, but not a very good read at all.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-15-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,075,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post

What are your thoughts?

The thing is...it's not just one book. It's a collection of books. The fact that they testify to each other is the thing. If we did come up with another source, you could just say it's all circular logic because THAT source is part of our scriptures.

If you don't want to believe...we can't make you.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 07-15-2009 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
its literature, designed to teach moral lessons. its not a history book. i think calling it fiction falls short of accurate as jerusalem is not an imaginary place nor was rome.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,927,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The fact that they testify to each other is the thing.
As I recall, historically it's been significantly edited for content and continuity several dozen times now, with a lot of the original stuff (Which probably did in fact conflict) removed or smoothed over.

Any good editor can make a book look convincingly good, but unfortunately for them, their knowledge of science (simply as a tool for reliably analyzing highly improbable claims) was non-existant. Back then in the intellectual dark ages, they thought that if they just said it, people would just believe it.

They also had some excellent means of persuasion back then which are not generally available to the avid Christian proselytizer now (stonings, torture, ex-communication, etc etc.) [The Muslims, though, they still stone or shoot the opposition. For now... Ain't tyrannical ignorance grand?].

Too bad, huh? Life would be so much easier for the Church if it could just "eliminate" the opposition!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,816 times
Oppostion is the key to doing all of this .............. don't get it personally.

I don't call myself as a athesist nor a believer in any relgion. a spirutalist beleiving in all.......

The Bible even in the Lurthern church I grew up in was a teacher of morals and values. I believe that a cult member from years ago I talked to said it was the fishermans Bilble but moved on...I donn't believe in a cult --- question a commune isn't the way or a society that moves together isn't the way to be self sufficenttic but ...

Out so many family members dieing last year I am happy for them they believed in what they believed to die knowing in what they believed....where they were gonna go etc...

Each of us has a choice of belief and deciding on none is the only thing as wrong....

Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its literature, designed to teach moral lessons. its not a history book. i think calling it fiction falls short of accurate as jerusalem is not an imaginary place nor was rome.
Yes morals...like staying cutting off your wife's hand if she clocks another guy in the nads trying to protect you...oh and let's not forget the stoning of all the bad kids...gotta love that one. And my favorite is Solomon and his shining example of manhood, ya know all his wives and concubines. Every good man of god needs to have 900 women to do.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,935,661 times
I remember when I was in high school and my English teacher did a week on Bible as literature. She asked the question, "If we view the Bible as literature, what does the fruit that Adam and Eve ate symbolize?"

I think I shocked some of my classmates when my hand went up and I replied, "SEX! And the serpent that tempted her is a penis."

Got an A. Didn't make many friends.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,197,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Forks, Washington is a real place, but that doesn't mean The Cullens are real.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

If you don't want to believe...we can't make you.
Too bad ya'll won't take that to heart and stop trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality