Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That definition could certainly apply to most of the folks that post on city-data....any of the boards.
Oh, I don't think so. There some posting of cut and paste Biblefacts that don't add up to a row of beans but not much actual preaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,963,203 times
Quote:
That definition could certainly apply to most of the folks that post on city-data....any of the boards.
What, I'm not trying make anyone move to Colorado Springs!

....hehe

Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiderTrack View Post
The Bible is history
Thanks. That reminds me of what I was going to post.

I don't think the Bible is fiction in the sense that it is a knowingly fabricated story just for amusement. It may be that Job could qualify as fiction as a moralistic tale intended to illustrate a point, just as not a few novels are intended to push a particular viewpoint.

It could be classified as Myth but myth is just religious truth that other believers don't believe in.

It is not actually history though it does contain quite a bit of history, or can be given the benefit of the doubt. It occurs to me that a lot of 'prophecy' is taken as restrospective history but, if it was written beforehand, it may not have happened. Those events which can be cross - checked independently look to be based on some history but are 'tweaked' to show the hand of God.

It's not a history just for the sake of it, though. Book 1 is history to show how God made the Jews his own people. Book 2 is to prove that Jesus was who the Christians said he was.

So it's a work of propaganda. It may contain history, exhortations, poems and illustrative tales. It contains a lot of things but religious propaganda is basically what it is. Whether it's true religious propaganda is for the individual to decide.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,078,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Oh, I don't think so. There some posting of cut and paste Biblefacts that don't add up to a row of beans but not much actual preaching.

and I've seen plenty of copy/paste evolution "facts" posted on these boards that aren't worth a row of beans, either.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
It could be classified as Myth but myth is just religious truth that other believers don't believe in.
I hear what you are saying, but the last part of your statement, I think, moves it to the realm of myth - depending on point of view. I agree that myth is "religious truth", but would append to that: for those for whom those myths are written. In the case of the Old Testament, I would say that those stories are myths for the Jews as those books were written by and for them. For Christians (evangelicals and fundamentalists, that is) , I would agree that the Old Testament is propaganda as they misuse those books that were not written for or by them (with the exception of the deliberate and accidental mistranslations and additions/deletions) to "prove" their points.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
and I've seen plenty of copy/paste evolution "facts" posted on these boards that aren't worth a row of beans, either.
I've noticed that you don't care for facts very much.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I hear what you are saying, but the last part of your statement, I think, moves it to the realm of myth - depending on point of view. I agree that myth is "religious truth", but would append to that: for those for whom those myths are written. In the case of the Old Testament, I would say that those stories are myths for the Jews as those books were written by and for them. For Christians (evangelicals and fundamentalists, that is) , I would agree that the Old Testament is propaganda as they misuse those books that were not written for or by them (with the exception of the deliberate and accidental mistranslations and additions/deletions) to "prove" their points.
I think we are on the same page. I'm thinking of myth as in a lot of stories about gods but not with a lot of history about them. The Illiad could be regarded as myth but is more history or a historic novel, depending upon how much one believes it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I think we are on the same page.
I think you're right.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,759,875 times
Quote:
Remarkably atheism isn't a religion when it is needed to say it doesn't belong on a religion forum and a religion when it is needed to argue that it is merely a 'Faith'.

Atheists don't think it is a religion at all but theists do, so it should not be excluded from a religion forum. Nor is it a philosophy, but some theists have insisted that it is. So it belongs in a philosophy forum.

"We demand that you can't keep us out!" (Hitch-Hiker's Galactic guide)
Now that's a disagreement with flair, wit and brilliance. It brings energy to the table. You continue to impress, AREQUIPA

If only everyone else on the A&A is like you, I'd enjoy that board. All I find there is grievance, disgruntlement and no class

Tolkien and Lewis were thick friends coz despite one's atheism and the other's theism, they were men of class, wit and literary genius.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiderTrack View Post
The Bible is history
Perhaps you would like to give us a historical accounting of what species of fish would be capable of holding a man intact and alive for three days in its stomach. Or, perhaps you would help us to understand the science behind a the playing of a musical instrument that is capable of destroying masonry walls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality