Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,203,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is it family? Is it society? How do we know what is right and wrong?
Society is the worst place to "learn" morals. Society is corrupt and hypocritical. Society hasn't evolved very far in the realm of morals since the last few hundred years.
There is no such thing as "right" or "wrong". Nor "good" or "evil".
Both are labels, nothing more. The concepts of "right" and "wrong" are not consistent, nor universally accepted.
The German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche, dealt with this theme.
Society does not determine what is right or wrong, but rather what is acceptable or not acceptable. These concepts change from era to era.
That's why many people accept intolerance, hatred, and prejudice as "right".
The best way to develop morals is by using the conscience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,077,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
I suppose my views and yours may not be the same...you probably think you're right even though your wrong...lol, jk. Yeah, society changes, religions change, people change...I change my underwear............

So are you saying that you have no absolute basis for morality w/out religion?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,639,075 times
kdbrich wrote:
Quote:
Your turn. What makes you say those horrible things are, in fact, horrible?
It's actually a natural reaction that the overwhelming majority of human beings feel when they're confronted with any sadistic and antisocial behavior. Human beings invented God and religion and also wrote the Ten Commandments and every other religious text which supposedly was inspired by a higher power. These feelings come from within ourselves, not from some invisible being who's giving us orders regarding what is acceptable and what is not.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,104,281 times
Kd:

Religion plays a roll in the morality of those which are governed by that religion.

Society plays a roll in the mores which help guide us.

Our parents play a strong roll in our own morality. Notice that broken families typically don't push out A quality children that many strong households do? With or without religion, our parents play the greatest roll.

Sometimes, our televisions (unfortunately) play a significant roll.

To point to only one of these as a reason you're moral is unbelievably short-sighted. I realize that many Christians want to point to their Bible as the reason anyone on the planet is good, but you must realize that your book isn't very old. The fact is that morality predated the Bible, so it is entirely silly to say that we receive our morality from it. It's not, however, silly to say that it helps strengthen YOUR morality. That is an acceptable phrase, alone.

What do you say to cultures which existed without the Bible and before the Bible was written? Society and culture likely plays the largest roll in what we think is right and wrong. Have you ever heard of Moral Relativism?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
in most countries its the church that teaches morality aka ethics. we have slacked off just a tad.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,104,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in most countries its the church that teaches morality aka ethics. we have slacked off just a tad.
What countries are those?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,663,461 times
Quote:
Jesus summed up the Law in Love the Lord with all my Heart, Mind and Soul, and my neighbor as myself. You couldn't harm another person like that if you love them.

Your turn. What makes you say those horrible things are, in fact, horrible?
We have laws to abide by, in this country. People don't need to read the Bible to know not to commit rape or molest a child.

Fortunately, there is no law against mixing fabrics or eating shell fish. Same sex relations are not against the law, unlike what is stated in the Bible.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,380 times
I suppose it would be a mixture of both upbringing and our biological make-up. Universal feelings, learned applications.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM

304 posts, read 905,350 times
Quote:
So are you saying that you have no absolute basis for morality w/out religion?
No, you're saying that...I didn't say that. Are you prone to puting words in people's mouths?

2 children from the same parents taught the same way - one's a bad seed and one is a good seed.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM

304 posts, read 905,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I suppose it would be a mixture of both upbringing and our biological make-up. Universal feelings, learned applications.

Well said and right to the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality