Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM

28 posts, read 33,765 times

Advertisements

To prove atheism, one has to disprove God.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvindp View Post
Sorry, that is incorrect. Atheism is not a noun, or a thing that can be proved...This has been explained countless times...Atheism is nothing more complicated than a disbelief in any gods.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,597,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry, that is incorrect. Atheism is not a noun, or a thing that can be proved...This has been explained countless times...Atheism is nothing more complicated than a disbelief in any gods.
Atheism is too a noun-The doctrine or belief that there is no God.It is in the dictionary.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,427,492 times
Quote:
Charles Colson, Christian author, had the most interesting and eye-opening conversation with a gentleman he met at a exclusive dinner before a governor's prayer breakfast. The gentleman blunted stated that he was an atheist.

Mr. Colson, pulled a chair up next to him, and said he was glad to sit by him because he "never really met an atheist."

The man was perplexed, so Mr. Colson explained, "An atheist believes the existence of God can be disproved. So please, tell me how you've done that."

Uncomfortably, the man responded, "Well, perhaps I should say I'm an agnostic."

Mr. Colson followed up by saying, "When did you give up studying about God?"

The man had to admit he never tried.

Again Mr. Colson expanded, "But an agnostic is one who says he doesn't think God can be known, and you can only be agnostic if you've tried to know Him and exhausted the search. So, I would say that while you appear to be a very well-educated person, you've made an unsupportable statement."

The man was offended and was quiet the rest of the even.

This gentleman turned out to be the publisher of the state's largest newspaper, and printed a lead editiorial weeks after the conversation. This editorial explained how our conversation affected "his view of life, how religion was indeed and important element of all of our lives and something we needed to pursue. What struck the publisher was that his own point of view proved unsupportable."

Source: The Faith, by Charles Colson and Harold Fickett, Copyright (c) 2008 by Charles Colson, pp. 36-37
And "Christian Authors" NEVER lie.

An Athiest doesn't neccessarily "believe that god can be disproven", they don;t believe that gods exist. If the person was indeed an Athiest, he would've picked apart Colsen's illogic from the get go.

And I hardly think a "Christian Author" would never have met an Athiest before.

BTW, is this the SAME Charles Colson who is considered one of the Watergate Seven?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
One cannot prove a negative.

The burden of proof is on Christers.

There is no "burden of disprove" on Athiests.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Jesus isn't specifically mentioned in the scrolls. These documents largely give insight into Jewish life and customs. Only one manuscript from the dead sea scrolls collection is important in declaring who Jesus was, the manuscript 4Q521. This collection was written in Hebrew, 30 years before Jesus was born.

The gospel of Matthew (11:3) describes how John the Baptist, imprisoned and wrestling with lingering doubts about Jesus' identity, sent his followers to ask Jesus the all-important question: "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"

The answer Jesus gave would perplex Christians for centuries until the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls, but more importantly 4Q521.

Jesus answered, "Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor" Matthew 11:4-5

This is where the crossover happens...Manuscript 4q521 contains a version of Isaiah 61 that includes the missing phrase, "the dead are raised." Source: John McRay, Archeology and the New Testament.
Duh. Anyone building a new religion is of course going to build in some form of "fullfilled prophesy", particularly when considering two religions centered around the same god (three when you consider Islam), in an attempt to lend some credibility.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Atheism is too a noun-The doctrine or belief that there is no God.It is in the dictionary.
I stand corrected, but I do not accept that it is a doctrine of any sort regardless of what the dictionary may say.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,521,179 times
Quote:

To be an atheist, one only need to lack a belief in God. There's no requirement that anyone prove it.

Just like you only need to believe that Jesus was the son of God to be a Christian, - there's no requirement that you prove it.

But no one claims you can't be a Christian simply because you can't prove a guy named Jesus really was the son of God. If you believe, you are a Christian, if you don't believe, (in any God) you are an atheist.

That being said, I think one can prove by at least a preponderance of the evidence, (if not beyond a reasonable doubt) that there is no God. While I understand the argument that "you can't disprove a negative", that is only in a metaphysical sense. In real life, we disprove negatives all the time. (I also understand that the burden of proof is on the person making the extraordinary claim, but even so, I think there is proof beyond any reasonable doubt that there is no God.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,906,905 times
Quote:
Charles Colson, Christian author, had the most interesting and eye-opening conversation with a gentleman he met at a exclusive dinner before a governor's prayer breakfast. The gentleman blunted stated that he was an atheist.

Mr. Colson, pulled a chair up next to him, and said he was glad to sit by him because he "never really met an atheist."

The man was perplexed, so Mr. Colson explained, "An atheist believes the existence of God can be disproved. So please, tell me how you've done that."

Uncomfortably, the man responded, "Well, perhaps I should say I'm an agnostic."

Mr. Colson followed up by saying, "When did you give up studying about God?"

The man had to admit he never tried.

Again Mr. Colson expanded, "But an agnostic is one who says he doesn't think God can be known, and you can only be agnostic if you've tried to know Him and exhausted the search. So, I would say that while you appear to be a very well-educated person, you've made an unsupportable statement."

The man was offended and was quiet the rest of the even.

This gentleman turned out to be the publisher of the state's largest newspaper, and printed a lead editiorial weeks after the conversation. This editorial explained how our conversation affected "his view of life, how religion was indeed and important element of all of our lives and something we needed to pursue. What struck the publisher was that his own point of view proved unsupportable."

Source: The Faith, by Charles Colson and Harold Fickett, Copyright (c) 2008 by Charles Colson, pp. 36-37
Just why are Christians always coming up with silly 'conversion' stories like the one above. One of their favourites is the one about the atheist who was uncertain about the existence of god so went into a church to pray and came out convinced that 'God' existed.

The mind boggles at the sort of intelligence that comes up with drivel like this. Not once does it even cross their minds that an atheist would not be uncertain so would have no need to enter a church and pray about it!!

LORD! Save me from your followers.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:22 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,579,840 times
Quote:
Wrong and backwards. The atheist does not believe that there is a god, nothing to disprove.

The theist believes that there is a god but cannot prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality