Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yea, you keep telling yourself that.....
Many things I have read, is suppose to be God's words to those he is commanding. I have read enough to know God's view on killing, it seems to be his favorite thing to do. You send your kids to school knowing full well what they are going to teach them. Dont like it send them to a bible school. All you are doing when you tell your kids the teachers are wrong, is setting them up to believe that teachers dont know what they are talking about in any subject. Also the Bible has never been proven to be true, on the contrary, if it had been proven true, science today would not find what they find and schools would not teach what they teach. And I am not misreading anything it says it was clearly not future tense, I dont believe in the "interpretations and prophets", that is just a scapegoat, oh "he said it but he did not mean it" that is such BS.
"Shall" is a future tense. Shall can be replace by "will". For example if you will stick a fork in the wall outlet you will get shocked! This is not saying that getting shocked is good or God's will, rather it is a warning of future events.

I suggest an english course. There are some good teacher out there that can teach these kning of things.

I would send my children to a school that teaches the truth, but unfortunately they would not fit the bill and I will still have to pay the taxes. I think that there are many good things taught in public school. I think that children should respect the teacher regardless what is taught. The teach (the person) is separate from what they teach. So the person can be respected regardless of what they are required to teach my children. My children know the truth. And it is written "the truth shall set you free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,678,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am just saying what Jesus himself said.

Luke 9:49: And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
50: And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

And Matthew 16:"23": But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

So, Jesus said to his own disciple that he was confederate with Satan, because he was concerned with the things of men and not of God. And he also said if you are for Christ, you are not against him, where the reciprical is true, if you are against Christ, you are not for him. Or doing the work of Satan which is called above the "things of men".

So, you are being judgemental of me, because you do not like my judgements, yet my judgements are true and where they come from are right.

Look to yourself what you beleive! You want me to tolerate you and your judgements, yet you will not tolerate me and mine.
When I am being told I am a follower of Satan because I don't believe in the fairytales, uuummm yea I think you are judgmental. You said you are not, then above you said your judgments, which is it? And I am not against Christ, because he isnt real, I cant be against something that does not exist.

Jesus also said....
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." (Matthew 10:34-37)

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me

Sorry I do not qualify anyway, I could never love someone more than my kids.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
"Shall" is a future tense. Shall can be replace by "will". For example if you will stick a fork in the wall outlet you will get shocked! This is not saying that getting shocked is good or God's will, rather it is a warning of future events.

I suggest an english course. There are some good teacher out there that can teach these kning of things.

I would send my children to a school that teaches the truth, but unfortunately they would not fit the bill and I will still have to pay the taxes. I think that there are many good things taught in public school. I think that children should respect the teacher regardless what is taught. The teach (the person) is separate from what they teach. So the person can be respected regardless of what they are required to teach my children. My children know the truth. And it is written "the truth shall set you free".
In the first one I posted, SHALL, is not there. Do you know how many interpretations and meanings shall has? Shall can be seen as a command. So for your little attempt at making fun of my English skills ( which you being a christian does not surprise me at all that you would attempt to belittle) you might want to look at ALL the proposed meanings and interpretations ( which we know you love) of the word. And I am glad you think "there are many good things" taught at public school and that your bible school would not fit the bill. Since you see nothing better than to try to berate people , I am going to move on to someone that wants to have a civil discussion, which will probably be in the Atheists forum.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think this is rather unfair. For one I'm not convinced all Evangelical charities do this. For another even if I'm not a fan of "E"vangelical Christians I don't know why brochure kills everything. A poor Buddhist can just throw out whatever pamphlet they put in the box. I don't see how it negates the fact the kid has a box and shoes.
Motive, sir. Their motive is not to give charity, but to evangelize.

Quote:
Depends on what one means by "short." Connecticut apparently had Congregationalism established until 1818. In Massachusetts the last blasphemy trial took place in 1838. Article 6 of New Hampshire's Constitution allowed towns to require support for Protestant teachers. This was not ended until 1968. It also did not allow non-Protestants to be in legislature until 1877, I believe this is years after the British allowed them.

The churching of America, 1776-2005 ... - Google Books

Church and state in American history ... - Google Books

The New Hampshire state constitution ... - Google Books
Yes, I've seen all these arguments quite often. Connecticut never had a State Constitutional Convention until 1818, when the church was de-established. They merely removed all Crown and British Empire references from their Colonial Charter upon joining the Union.

New Hampshire, of note, de-established it's state churches in 1790. What you speak of is support for educators, not priests or religion...

The New Hampshire state constitution ... - Google Books

From the above. "This article provides that (1) Parishes and religious societies may select their own teachers, contract with them, and pay for their support, (2) no one can be compelled to pay for the support of religious school of any sect or denomination, and (3) all denominations and sects are equally protected under the law." Also note that the NH Constitution was ratified prior to the Bill of Rights being signed into law.

The blasphemy trial you refer to, Commonwealth v Kneeland, was indeed an example of blashpemy charges in the US, though not the last. Of note once again is that the Statute that Kneeland (a rather outspoken critic of religion and Christianity in general and publisher of the paper, "The Investigator" in which his articles appeared) was ratified in State legislature in 1782, again, before the Bill of Rights was signed into law. The US Constitution of course made no provisions of eliminating already existing establishment laws. However, in Updegraph vs Commonwealth, 1824, an indictment for blasphemy was reversed, noting an earlier like case "Murray, vs Commonwealth" of 1818.

Quote:
Deism is not a religion, but a position about God or god. See Aronow vs United States.

432 F2d 242 Aronow v. United States | Open Jurist
And the only basis for any god is religion. Without religion a god doesn't exist.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
No freebies! We are all without excuse, for the heavens declare the glory of God and all know there is a God.

Christianity is a sect of Judaism that specifically follows Jesus Christ as the Messiah and Son of God as proclaimed by the prophets of Old.

The bible comes to use through Moses, but ultimately from Noah. Since all are descended from Noah, then all cultures of the world have a memory of God.

God is the judge and he is also a righteous judge. He will judge man based on the heart of that man and that man's/or woman's intentions. That is how he can judge the unborn and those who are mentally handicaped, etc.

So, if you know of Jesus Christ and flat out reject him who is the Son of God, how will you be able to stand before him and be judged on that day?
So your god is going to throw some little old grandmother, who lives in the farthest reaches of some jungle somewhere that's never seen the t4rad of a whiteman or a missionary, straight into hell because she didn't fall to her knees in supplication.

Gotcha.

When YOUR judgement day comes, if I already have passed away from old age, I shall be enjoying OUR Neamh, thank you, and watching our neighbors, you, run about like litlte ants in panic over nothing.

If I am not dead yet, then I shall wave to you all as you float away, and then get on with my life like every other person left.

The above is facetious, of course, since the idea of a "judgement day" is laughable.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:15 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,576,349 times
You know your stuff on US history after all, I'm impressed! Although knock off all this "sir" business. It makes me feel like I'm in a restaurant and you're the waiter.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
You know your stuff on US history after all, I'm impressed! Although knock off all this "sir" business. It makes me feel like I'm in a restaurant and you're the waiter.
Merely attempting to be polite.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you routinely harassed by Christians?
Not too much any more, most of them that live in this area, know me by now and will go for a softer, easier target -- for some reason they think I am not fun to play with.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:40 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Like it or not, it's going to happen. You know what God demands of you, and you choose to disobey.
Aha, the ego trip disguised as pity, a common christer ploy.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Not too much any more, most of them that live in this area, know me by now and will go for a softer, easier target -- for some reason they think I am not fun to play with.
I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality