Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
The skyrocketing cost of health care isn't breaking our country? Nearly 15 million people have lost their jobs because of the "free market" aka George W. Bush and Company ran. Where are they going to get health care? From you?

I'm not sure the guvment can fix that. You think it's expensive and mismanaged now? Just wait until they have a monopoly on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Do you really think Christ would approve a health plan that pays for abortions?

Our country was founded on Christian values, but the present day government wants to leave God out of everything, so I doubt this health plan is founded on Christian values. Would Christian values throw Grandma under the bus?

I live in an area that has churches that take care of the members there. If someone is overwhelmed with medical bills, we all get together and have a barbecue, a singing and donate to that cause. That's the answer, not the government.

First of all Christ would tell you that all life is precious. That was apparently not evident with a sick and troubled man that shot up a LA fitness center outside of Pittsburgh. And now that cost will be passed on to all. Just think of all the crime in the U.S. that has put a drain on our communities and medical profession.

And as I said in another post a while back, if a mother who is pregnant is in a medical condition that forces her to chose between her life or the child's life; when the choice is made there is no fault to any choice, but give honor to the one that would sacrifice their life, even when the child cannot make a choice. Who would be the judge of that decision? Certainly not you.

As far as your church helping out, that's great, but I know a lot of churches that are struggling cause their gifts from the parishioners have gone way done because too many are losing their jobs.

Are we not the "United" States. Are we not suppose to help people when they can not help themselves? You say churches, but, yet I see Multi million dollar churches that were built by some denominations with extravagant cosmetic dressings. Not all churches are Christ like to be sure.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Just so it's clear, the $1400 is combined Federal, State, FICA and Medicare taxes. I wish I made enough to pay $1400/month in just Federal income tax. I am comfortable and worked very hard to get where I am (I am a network design engineer). Earned and paid for my Bachelor's and Master's degrees all the while working and raising a family. Did it all myself. Not a boast, but rather to show that a guy from the smallest minority group in the country who started his adult life as a maintenance guy at an amusement park can do it if they decide to.

I agree, the cost of medical education is outrageous. But there are other things. Medicare abuse is one of the prime contributors of the costs though. Ambulance chasing lawyers are another big contributor. The cost of malpractice insurance is killing doctors. Tort reform is badly needed. Lastly is the cost of Medicaid in states with large populations of illegal immigrants. You take those four things together and we are now in the position we are in.
Good point and well taken. I can agree with tort reform to a degree, maybe something like we have for car insurance, where it is an elective to chose if you want full tort or not. Now on illegal immigrants that's a two edge sword. One; a lot of Mexicans are going back to Mexico cause the economy is really bad, secondly the reason we have had so many illegals is two fold in and of itself; Corporate America loves it and then there is the illegal drug trade. How do you break that cycle?

Last edited by Lionpainter; 08-05-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I'm not sure the guvment can fix that. You think it's expensive and mismanaged now? Just wait until they have a monopoly on it.
Don't insurance companies have a monopoly on it now?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
Don't insurance companies have a monopoly on it now?

Yes. Insurance companieS

Notice the "S" on the end? I'd rather have the power split among for profit and non-profit companies than the government. At least the companies have members or shareholders to please. The government can run unchecked.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yes. Insurance companieS

Notice the "S" on the end? I'd rather have the power split among for profit and non-profit companies than the government. At least the companies have members or shareholders to please. The government can run unchecked.
That's true, but since I worked for a lobbyist in my state many years ago, they, the insurance companies work in unison when they try to keep control.
I would much prefer "non-profit" insurance companies then for profit companies. That I believe is the way to go with strict guide lines so no illegal doings can turn a good non-profit insurance company into a bad insurance company.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Yes. Insurance companieS

You mean you have more faith in those for profit insurance companies than your own government?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM

20,465 posts, read 12,866,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You mean you have more faith in those for profit insurance companies than your own government?
I do!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I do!
Oh ye of little faith... Many other nations are able to successfully run health care programs, why do you think yours cannot? The US is the only developed country remaining without universal health care...Kinda behind the times aren't you?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 AM

5,420 posts, read 6,521,179 times
I don't think most people in the U.S. want the government to provide the health care to everyone, anymore than they want the government to provide food to everyone, or housing to everyone. Of course, I haven't lived there in awhile, so maybe things are changing now.

If people are too poor, people should get a govt subsidy or govt provided health care. But I don't know why the tax payers should pay for rich peoples health care anymore than they should pay for their food or housing. For many people in the U.S., that doesnt seem like a legitimate role for government, at least when I lived there.

Do you think everyone should get free government food, or just the poor people? How is that different than health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality