Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually they are not non profit ...Their net income in 2007 was $375,362,000 and they paid income taxes of $180,186,000.

https://www.highmark.com/hmk2/pdf/hm2008ar_fin.pdf (broken link)

By law they are required to hold enough money in their coffers so that if they were to fail they would be able to pay out all claims for at least 6 months. Can you imagine how much money that would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually they are not non profit ...Their net income in 2007 was $375,362,000 and they paid income taxes of $180,186,000.

https://www.highmark.com/hmk2/pdf/hm2008ar_fin.pdf (broken link)

Assuming that they're like their counterparts in Nebraska, the difference is that they don't have shareholders that they have to pay out to. They reinvest their earnings.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
By law they are required to hold enough money in their coffers so that if they were to fail they would be able to pay out all claims for at least 6 months. Can you imagine how much money that would be?
If they were non profit they wouldn't be paying income tax, at least that's how it works here.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,105,572 times
Quote:
There is much heated debate about "Health Care". So I am directing this question more to those who call themselves "Christians", however, anyone may express their feelings towards this very important subject.

I will start this conversation with a question; As Christians and as a Christian nation that is made up of many people; is it not Christ like for a government, that professes to be founded in Christianity to adopt a policy that maintains a "Health Care System" for all?

Christ would teach that it is incumbent upon a government to take care of it's people with a plausible health care system that services everyone and does not exclude anyone.

And to back this statement up I would use the "H1N1" virus to support this argument. Here is a new virus that has infected a multitude of people around the world with ease. We know viruses mutate. We have approximately 47 million people in the United States that do not have health care. This winter can prove to be overwhelming to the health care system when these uninsured people contract this virus and if this virus mutates to something worse than it is now, it may prove to be a plague right out of biblical prophesies. Is that what it is going to take to rectify this unbalance in our society?
The thing I see lacking in your post is the idea of the responsibility Christians have for taking care of their own health. If more of us did that, we would not need so many d*mn pills and health care practitioners in the first place.

Besides that, I wonder if Christ would probably want to clean up the corruption in both Big Business & Big Government. If more of us had integrity, we would not have the problems we do in health care and many other areas of life.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,882,058 times
I think it's Christian like to help everyone. I like to think that if Jesus were here to voice his opinion, that he'd be a supporter of health care for everyone. Average health care for everyone is better than excellent healthcare for some, average healthcare for some and no healthcare for others. Let it be known, that I have excellent health care through my job and realize that perhaps, I'd be giving up a level of service. I could not afford to buy some extra cushion health care. Whatever the government rolls out, I'll have to go with. Jesus himself was poor. Jesus loves everyone and we're all God's children.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I think it's Christian like to help everyone. I like to think that if Jesus were here to voice his opinion, that he'd be a supporter of health care for everyone. Average health care for everyone is better than excellent healthcare for some, average healthcare for some and no healthcare for others. Let it be known, that I have excellent health care through my job and realize that perhaps, I'd be giving up a level of service. I could not afford to buy some extra cushion health care. Whatever the government rolls out, I'll have to go with. Jesus himself was poor. Jesus loves everyone and we're all God's children.

It is Christ like to want to help everyone. The difficulty America faces is our division and our hunger for immediacy. This division is destroying this country. American people are spoiled when it comes to wanting everything with immediacy. To some extent that is what happened to the credit card industry. They allowed people to have everything with immediacy, training the American people that they can have anything they wanted whenever they wanted. And now where is the the credit card industry?

And to be sure, Christ does want everyone to have health care. If our government would stick to the original guides lines to what a non-profit is I believe this would be the best way to start to heal this nations division and provide health care.

This problem is extremely large and will take time to get it right. But, this I can tell you, if America fails to achieve a health care system that is fair and provides health care to all more and more people will be living in despair and poverty. And from this more division which will destroy this country.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:26 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,944,451 times
I thought Christ's idea of health care was, "pray for a miracle".

Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM

20,466 posts, read 12,866,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I thought Christ's idea of health care was, "pray for a miracle".
Here's Jesus' idea of healthcare:

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

26"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'[c]; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[d]"
28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
29But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
30In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins[e] and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
36"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" 37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

Old 08-07-2009, 04:09 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,805,200 times
Quote:
There is much heated debate about "Health Care". So I am directing this question more to those who call themselves "Christians", however, anyone may express their feelings towards this very important subject.

I will start this conversation with a question; As Christians and as a Christian nation that is made up of many people; is it not Christ like for a government, that professes to be founded in Christianity to adopt a policy that maintains a "Health Care System" for all?

Christ would teach that it is incumbent upon a government to take care of it's people with a plausible health care system that services everyone and does not exclude anyone.

And to back this statement up I would use the "H1N1" virus to support this argument. Here is a new virus that has infected a multitude of people around the world with ease. We know viruses mutate. We have approximately 47 million people in the United States that do not have health care. This winter can prove to be overwhelming to the health care system when these uninsured people contract this virus and if this virus mutates to something worse than it is now, it may prove to be a plague right out of biblical prophesies. Is that what it is going to take to rectify this unbalance in our society?
Man, is this a serious thread?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Here's Jesus' idea of healthcare:

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

26"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'[c]; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[d]"
28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
29But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
30In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins[e] and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
36"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" 37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."
Good words with good deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality