Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Man, is this a serious thread?
Indeed it is a serious thread. It is to foster humanity in the minds of those who don't care about humanity.

All can be affected by those few who have so much and the many that have so little.

A Supreme Court Justice of Pennsylvania once wrote to me about an energy issue. He eloquently spoke of the magnitude of the problem. In his letter he said that the Justices look for the "balance" in a court decision. Balancing the need of having electrical power against the needs of the environment and the people that would be affected by property rights issues.

In the health care industry the balance is weighted too much to one side. There is a definite need to balance the needs of a country to have a health care system that adequately provides and services it's people with quality health care and the cost associated to that system. Somewhere in the middle we must meet or the scales of Justice in this country will crumble under the weight of incompetency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
+1

There is nothing that our government does efficiently. I just don't trust them to provide health care. We've got a great healthcare system now...why break what isn't broken.
I mostly agree with the first part of your response. However, to say we have a great health care system is a joke. We spend 17% of GDP on health care and do NOT have the world's healthiest people by any means.

However, I do think it's fair to say our current system has lots of barriers to true competition, which is why we pay so much to get so little.

For more details, read:

Who Killed Health Care?: America's $2 Trillion Medical Problem - and the Consumer-Driven Cure

Amazon.com: Who Killed Health Care?: America's $2 Trillion Medical Problem - and the Consumer-Driven Cure (9780071487801): Regina Herzlinger: Books

Old 08-08-2009, 12:05 PM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
The reason healthcare is out of control in this country is BECAUSE of government. Medicare is close to bankruptcy and Medicaid is bankrupting the states. Because of government mismanagement, gross overhead and corruption, these programs have artificially jacked up health care costs that should have stayed relatively low if the market were truly running the show.
In general, I agree. I think because people don't actually pay directly out of their pockets for Medicare & Medicaid, they really don't see how wasteful and inefficient these programs really are.

I'm not saying we should keep the status quo.

One of the big things (not the only thing) that keeps our health care system from being competitive is the fact that people don't really know or care what their health care really costs (i.e. how much does a heart operation cost? how much does their obesity cost in terms of health? etc).

Old 08-08-2009, 06:55 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,976,449 times
My friend, I really disagree. I do believe God has the ability to instantly heal, and have seen Him do so. I also believe that a lot of our diseases are brought about by our own negative thought processes, and those thought processes lead to obesity, disease and unhappiness. But I also believe God put doctors here for a reason, and those answers to prayers for healing just may be in the form of medical help from a physician. There's threads on this forum about the man who let his own child die by not seeking medical help, asking for healing from God, and has now been criminally charged. I don't pretend to know the mind of the Lord, but I sure do use the resources in abundance He's given me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Christians shouldn't need health care at all. Just pray for Jesus to heal you and you're good to go. Why would Christians need heath insurance when you have that? God should be able to take care of them through prayer.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:26 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,904 times
Such division in this country over health care. I watched with dismay people that railed against Senator Arlen Specter about health care and I know there were many there who call themselves Christians.

Brothers against sister, sister against mother, brother against brother, son against father. Division. Christ knew this, did He not?

We are still primitive people, but not all. It's amazing there are some animals in the animal kingdom that act better than some humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality