Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times

Advertisements

You gotta love angry Christians.

Aren't we atheist supposed to be the angry ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Atheism is a belief that your body, without soul because it never had one, turns to dust. Whether or not you want to intellectually promote it contrarily, is your prerogative, but regardless, it is a belief system like everything else.

Doesn't this ever get old with you folks? Or are you just as uneducated as I thought?...These claims has been reduced to nothing for a very long time, but I will refer you to some schoars who did it already so I don't have to squash your little "theories" with a regurgitation of words that have already been said.. It appears you haven't researched your silly little claims...again. Do you HOMEWORK!

Here's a few books to enlighten your decaying, dust-to-be brain.

Haley, John W. (1977), Alleged Discrepancies of the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker).

Lyons, Eric (2003), The Anvil Rings (Montgomery, AL: Apologetics Press).

McGarvey, J.W. (1910), Biblical Criticism (Cincinnati, OH: Standard).

McGarvey, J.W. (1974 reprint), Evidences of Christianity (Nashville, TN: Gospel Advocate).

There are much, much, much more.

Again I say, do YOUR HOMEWORK before you get on the offensive with me.

I have.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
sciotamicks wrote:

On my first post to you I thought I was being open and friendly but your posts sound very angry. You are asking how I would know what is fraudulent concerning a website like Answers in Genesis because it's based on Christianity and the answer is very simple. It's claiming to be based on science which just happens to coincide with biblical principles but science, particularly paleontology and evolution have been a lifelong interest of mine and after reading some of information from that website I feel completely justified in telling it like it is. The Supreme Court has ruled that creationism is religion trying to disguise itself as science which is why it can't be taught as legitimate science in a classroom. I don't feel hatred for anyone who is a Christian but I think it should be pointed out that creationism undermines our educational system and perpetuates a mythological explanation for life itself. It also exploits Christians because it's also a business and seeks to make a profit by peddling books, videos and so called museums that have no scientific credibility whatsoever.
MontanaGuy, you calling something fraudulent is an opinion of yours, and your belief in creationism is an opinion, not a fact. First of all, I am not angry with you at all, as a matter of fact, you seem to be a decent person, except for your "fraudulent" statement followed by an exclamation point. Doesn't that appear to be angry at the source of the website? Or am I mistaken?

That is my only beef with you.

Creationism is a theory based on Biblical scripture. It is not real science, as I agree with you, it is a part of the faith. However, science, is man's understanding of God's creation.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
More quotemining. For example, Eldredge, Niles. Their 'punctured equilibrium' is a suggestion about the problem which you have cut and pasted in a quote, neccessarily taken out of its context. It is a hypothesis which requires more data. But to suggest, as your source does, that this is a reason to argue that the evidence for evolutionary process in the fossil record is simply not there is going too far in looking for flimsy pretexts for dismissing evidence which is unwelcome to the Bible - Literalism of Creationism, for which there is NO evidence whatsoever.

CC200: Transitional fossils

Claim CC200:
There are no transitional fossils. Evolution predicts a continuum between each fossil organism and its ancestors. Instead, we see systematic gaps in the fossil record.
Source:
Morris, Henry M. 1985. Scientific Creationism. Green Forest, AR: Master Books, pp. 78-90.
Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. 1985. Life--How Did It Get Here? Brooklyn, NY, pp. 57-59.
Response:
There are many transitional fossils. The only way that the claim of their absence may be remotely justified, aside from ignoring the evidence completely, is to redefine "transitional" as referring to a fossil that is a direct ancestor of one organism and a direct descendant of another. However, direct lineages are not required; they could not be verified even if found. What a transitional fossil is, in keeping with what the theory of evolution predicts, is a fossil that shows a mosaic of features from an older and more recent organism.
References:
Eldredge, Niles, 1972. Systematics and evolution of Phacops rana (Green, 1832) and Phacops iowensis Delo, 1935 (Trilobita) from the Middle Devonian of North America. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 147(2): 45-114.
Eldredge, Niles, 1974. Stability, diversity, and speciation in Paleozoic epeiric seas. Journal of Paleontology 48(3): 540-548.
Some of the biggest problems for believers in evolution, is when their own people refute some of the long held beliefs about evolution. And when you quote these people, the only thing believers in evolution can do, is claim we have taken their words out of context. Which is clearly not the case.

You say, for my source suggesting that the evidence for Evolution is simply not there is going to far? And trying to refute evolution because no evidence has ever been found. You consider that, (A FLIMSY PRETEX)?
According to you guys, millions of years have passed, and no doubt there are billions of fossils still above and below ground. YET, NOT EVEN ONE EVER SHOWED US EVOLUTION, AND AFTER 100 YEARS OF SEARCHING, WE HAVE NOTHING.

You can quote old ideas (FROM THE PAST). Yet today, it is becoming most obvious that transionals do not exist, and such claims are rejected by even supports of evolution. And it was Darwin himself, the father of evolution who predicted. That (IF) his theory was true. A great abudance of transionals would be found. (AND THAT IS WHAT EVOLUTION REALLY PREDICTED.)

Do you understand, that we have fossils that cover almost everytime period? From the dinosaur to this present time. We have fossils showing the great diversity of life that has existed on our planet. Yet, do you not find it a bit strange? That with such an abudance of time and life recorded. (NOT EVEN ONCE, DO WE SEE A FOSSIL SHOWING US A TRUE TRANSIONAL). There is a time in everyones life, when preception, must give way to reality.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Default blind man (or stubborn)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Some of the biggest problems for believers in evolution, is when their own people refute some of the long held beliefs about evolution. And when you quote these people, the only thing believers in evolution can do, is claim we have taken their words out of context. Which is clearly not the case.

You say, for my source suggesting that the evidence for Evolution is simply not there is going to far? And trying to refute evolution because no evidence has ever been found. You consider that, (A FLIMSY PRETEX)?
According to you guys, millions of years have passed, and no doubt there are billions of fossils still above and below ground. YET, NOT EVEN ONE EVER SHOWED US EVOLUTION, AND AFTER 100 YEARS OF SEARCHING, WE HAVE NOTHING.

You can quote old ideas (FROM THE PAST). Yet today, it is becoming most obvious that transionals do not exist, and such claims are rejected by even supports of evolution. And it was Darwin himself, the father of evolution who predicted. That (IF) his theory was true. A great abudance of transionals would be found. (AND THAT IS WHAT EVOLUTION REALLY PREDICTED.)

Do you understand, that we have fossils that cover almost everytime period? From the dinosaur to this present time. We have fossils showing the great diversity of life that has existed on our planet. Yet, do you not find it a bit strange? That with such an abudance of time and life recorded. (NOT EVEN ONCE, DO WE SEE A FOSSIL SHOWING US A TRUE TRANSIONAL). There is a time in everyones life, when preception, must give way to reality.
blind man (or stubborn)?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
REALITY is a myth to you and your kin.

Methinks your are misrepresenting Mr. Gee

But then again, who gives a flying fark what "Henery Gee" has to say about anything? EVERY other scientist in the world says otherwise.

Yes and we might also both like toast and jam for breakfast... your point?

Or perhaps more like, your Henery Gee quote mine..

Sure.. no problem.

Sorry, but your "evidence" doesn't hold any weight whatsoever. And certainly doesn't prove any of the supernatural elements of your fairytale. And sadly (for you and your ilk), there's far more archaeological and historical evidence that the Bible and its god are but cheap ripoffs of earlier civilizations' mythologies.

All the other scientist disagree with Henery Gee? Well that is another (MYTH) believed by you.

"The fossil record itself (PROVIDED NO DOCUMENTATION) of continuity-of gradual transition from one animal or plant to another of quite different form. (Stanley,S.M., The New Evolutionary Timetable: Fossils, Genes and the Origin of Species, 1981,p. 40.)

(Gould, Stephen J., believed the arguement of an imperfect fossil record, Yet, he finally concluded that such oustanding regularity could not be entirely artificial. "The Hardening of the Modern Synthesis, "1983, p. 81.

I could give the names of a number of evolutionary scientist who agree with Henery Gee, that transionals cannot be found in the fossil record. Yet, if one wants to pretend that no such scientist exist, what can I say?

I could also give a great deal of historical, and archeological evidence that supports the Biblical account. And certainly much more evidence, than you could ever hope to present for evolution. However, this link is about Evolutions Collapsing Family Tree.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:57 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
I find it fascinating that you creationists claim the facts that dispute you to be myths while the myths you support to be fact. And this without producing any credible evidence.

Kind of like a refusal to think for yourself.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I find it fascinating that you creationists claim the facts that dispute you to be myths while the myths you support to be fact. And this without producing any credible evidence.

Kind of like a refusal to think for yourself.
Predos, creationism is based upon faith, and science is based upon God.
It all begins with Him. He is not tangible or some pie in the sky, or "Gandalf" as one put it....He is in everything, including the carbon based materials that make up your body. He is the source of all things known, and unknown to you, me and everyone and everything else. Understanding the nature of the Lord is self absorbing and self proclaiming, yet the Bible is a witness of His work, with man. Nothing more.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Predos, creationism is based upon faith, and science is based upon God.
It all begins with Him. He is not tangible or some pie in the sky, or "Gandalf" as one put it....He is in everything, including the carbon based materials that make up your body. He is the source of all things known, and unknown to you, me and everyone and everything else. Understanding the nature of the Lord is self absorbing and self proclaiming, yet the Bible is a witness of His work, with man. Nothing more.
Your assigning your own definitions to terms merely shows your lack of understanding of the subject.

Yes, creationism is based on faith.

Science is based on observation and no one has observed gawd unless under the influence.

What you believe has no relevance to the truth, merely to what you believe.

BTW, your buybull is merely a poorly written morality play that some take as a truth while most dismiss it.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Have you just completely ignored the numerous posts in this thread that show exactly how you've taken quotes out of context, or simply posted a portion of the quote so that it appears to say something it doesn't? Good grief, I did that very thing just this morning, and several others have done so as well throughout this thread, yet you continue on as if you've read none of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality