Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
UCLA paleontologist Everett Olson. "I take a dim view of the fossil record as a source of data."
Do you have the context of that quote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM

33,534 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I do...

This ancient lament was intoned by some at the Chicago meeting: "I take a dim view of the fossil record as a source of data," observed Everett Olson, the paleontologist from UCLA. But such views were challenged as being defeatest [sic]. "I'm tired of hearing about the imperfections of the fossil record," said John Sepkoski of the University of Chicago; "I'm more interested in hearing about the imperfections of our questions about the record." "The record is not so woefully incomplete," offered Steven Stanley of Johns Hopkins University; "you can reconstruct long sections by combining data from several areas."

Olson confessed himself to be "cheered by such optimism about the fossil record," and he listened receptively to Gould's suggestion that the gaps in the record are more real than apparent. "Certainly the record is poor," admitted Gould, "but the jerkiness you see is not the result of gaps, it is the consequence of the jerky mode of evolutionary change."

"Evolutionary Theory Under Fire" by Roger Lewin

Edit to add this thought...I believe it is quite easy for creationist sites to quote mine papers like this when they involve scientists debating their ideas, as they are constantly doing, but I also know how dishonest it is. The creationists that copy and paste these mined quotes from creationist sites, in my opinion are just as dishonest, if they do not investigate the source....As rifleman says they are "lying for Jesus". Honesty, apparently has no value in the creationist handbook.

Last edited by sanspeur; 08-30-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Pretty much. (Although Gould's hypothesis certainly still supports evolution as a slow process.)

I have my doubts as to that, but who cares? For one thing, people can arrive at the right conclusion for the wrong reasons. Some of the old Greek fellas concluded that the Earth was a sphere, not because of observations, but because philosophically, the sphere is a "perfect" shape.

For another, ToE is quite well supported by other sciences at this time.
Absolutely. Science reviews constantly in the light of further evidence. Creationism, since it is really fundamentalist religion disguised in a lab coat, thinks in terms of an immutable that remains unchanged and unchangable (no matter how much you change it) and assume that Evolution is the same. if you rethink it, it must be a false religion.

This has already been explained to him a couple of times, but he doesn't listen.

And I'd like a link to that quote, too.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Predos,

You state that they are lies, how do you know this?
The informaiton you recieved regarding your philosophy is just a a phlisophy, not fact, just as my faith in your opinion is not fact, so where does that lead any of us?

I never said it was NOT my job to witness to you, just proving it.

I never regurgiate what I am told, as my dosctirne of belief contradicts 2000 years of church history, something I feel you failed to recognize, unfortunately. I am a full preterist.
Scripture is past fulfilled IMO.

The "facts" that you so adherently abide in against mine, are just as loosely coined and requires a level of faith in believing them to be true, in which faith is needed only in a very small amount, like the size of a seed, yet grows into something unimaginable.

Kudos to you and your view, and I respect your ardent determination in supporting it. If you took that determination and applied it something other than a "lights out" philosophy, you may understand that "love" is not learned, but rather, from within an area in the human psyche that propagates the very essence of a spirit, something that atheist deny completely.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Predos,

You state that they are lies, how do you know this?
The informaiton you recieved regarding your philosophy is just a a phlisophy, not fact, just as my faith in your opinion is not fact, so where does that lead any of us?

I never said it was NOT my job to witness to you, just proving it.

I never regurgiate what I am told, as my dosctirne of belief contradicts 2000 years of church history, something I feel you failed to recognize, unfortunately. I am a full preterist.
Scripture is past fulfilled IMO.

The "facts" that you so adherently abide in against mine, are just as loosely coined and requires a level of faith in believing them to be true, in which faith is needed only in a very small amount, like the size of a seed, yet grows into something unimaginable.

Kudos to you and your view, and I respect your ardent determination in supporting it. If you took that determination and applied it something other than a "lights out" philosophy, you may understand that "love" is not learned, but rather, from within an area in the human psyche that propagates the very essence of a spirit, something that atheist deny completely.
Once again you display that you have no clue as to what I or any other atheist are about. You do not even admit to being a christian even though you practice the teachings (according to you) of this jesus.

Think for a minute: all it takes to be considered a christian is to follow the teachings of this christ. Period. Everything else is dogmatic difference.

So you have lied to yourself, lied to others on this board, and display no redeeming value to cause anyone to trust you since you will not even admit your true agenda.

BTW, how I know something is by exercising free thought, not controled buybull dogma. You really ought to try it. It is even better that your gawd given free will.

Goodbye.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
The quote comes from a Conference on Macroevolution held in Chicago. It was reported by Roger Lewin, Science magazine, Volume 210, November 1980, pp 883-887.

"I take a dim view of the fossil record as a source of data," observed Everett Olson, the paleontologist from UCLA. But such views were challenged as being defeatest.

Link below.

"Evolutionary Theory Under Fire" by Roger Lewin (http://www.theistic-evolution.com/lewin.html - broken link)

His actual quote will be found at the bottom paragraph of page two of that link.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:23 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Once again you display that you have no clue as to what I or any other atheist are about. You do not even admit to being a christian even though you practice the teachings (according to you) of this jesus.
You apparently have no idea about anything of the scripture do you now?

I was being nice, yet you displayed the consistent, arrogant behavior in which I thought you were above. Not so it appears. No wonder.

Quote:
Think for a minute: all it takes to be considered a christian is to follow the teachings of this christ. Period. Everything else is dogmatic difference.
Again ...you err

Quote:
So you have lied to yourself, lied to others on this board, and display no redeeming value to cause anyone to trust you since you will not even admit your true agenda.
How have I lied to myself? Answer that smart human. My true agenda is to proclaim fulfilled prophecy. I have said that, yet you are blind to the doctrine so it seems.

Quote:
BTW, how I know something is by exercising free thought, not controled buybull dogma. You really ought to try it. It is even better that your gawd given free will.
As long as you believe you came from pond scum, you will always be pond scum to the rest of the world.....97% chimp, says alot about your intelligence.

Now, the gloves are off, and judgement is upon you.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM

33,534 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Actually it is 98% chimp, as we all are, so when you use that little gem to insult Atheists, you only insult yourself...Most Atheists accept that fact, so it is no insult to us......All your bible prophesies are bogus wishful thinking by the way. Every religious person that I have ever known not only lies to himself, but because they put no value on honesty many make a habit of lying to others. I believe every christian knows deep down that what they convince themselves to believe are only myths and far fetched stories.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
sciotamicks wrote:
Quote:
My true agenda is to proclaim fulfilled prophecy. I have said that, yet you are blind to the doctrine so it seems.
The topic of the OP is not religion or prophecy, it's evolution.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post

Now, the gloves are off, and judgement is upon you.

Ooooh, a threat! So your true self comes out. When losing, threaten.

Of course, I am not particulary worried in that all you believe is just that, your belief. And false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality