Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Campbell34 wrote:
Quote:
Yet now we discover that believers in evolution are starting to agree with creationist on the fossil record. And that agreement is based on the fact, that the fossil record does not confirm evolution.
There's one fact that you're ignoring that I've stated countless times and that is the reality that there is not a single layer of strata in which all species that have ever lived are found side by side. That's because they all lived in different time periods. This came up just the other day and I mentioned that it would be expected that fossils could end up being found in strata from a different time periods due to either natural processes like erosion, floods, etc. or by the activity of man when we're always digging for highways, mining, excavating, etc. but that it would be a rare occurance and that's exactly what it is. I think it was you who brought out a website that listed a few cases where fossils were found where they shouldn't be but there were so few of them that it obviously wasn't representative of the entire geologic layers of strata that have been dated. You've never come back with a reasonable response to this creationists dilema and I get the feeling that you'd like to avoid dealing with it at all.
This very simple question is one I've asked before. When we see modern fossils found in modern strata that are never found in older strata then I must ask you if evolution is not taking place then where in the world are these modern fossils coming from?
Instead of providing a link to a creationist website I'd like to hear your own thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
The fossil record provides snapshots of the past that, when assembled, illustrate a panorama of evolutionary change over the past four billion years. The picture may be smudged in places and may have bits missing, but fossil evidence clearly shows that life is old and has changed over time.

Lines of Evidence: Fossil Evidence

The fossil record provides snapshots of the past that, when assembled, illustrate a panorama of evolutionary change over the past four billion years. The picture may be smudged in places and may have bits missing, but fossil evidence clearly shows that life is old and has changed over time.
So why have we digressed so far from the physical, macroscopic world of fossils to the molecular world. There are two reasons:
First, to emphasize the astonishing accomplishments of Charles Darwin (and many of his contemporaries) in using empirical, phenotypical evidence (i.e, physical appearances) from living and fossil organisms to correctly deduce many aspects of how evolution works.
Second, to affirm that the fossil record, or more particularly its shortcomings and gaps about which Dawin worried, is of much diminished concern due to modern molecular phylogenetics across genotypes, that even without fossils can infer decent with modification, and validate theories of evolution.
Fossil Record

It is not that we no longer depend on the fossil record. It's just that we have new tools to sort out evolution...The theory (fact) of evolution is stronger than it has ever been.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Fossil Fuels?

Almost all fossils on earth are found buried in sedimentary rock (sandstone, limestone, and shale), which are found in stratified beds. Many of these layers of rock have been named and are frequently diagrammed as a cross-section known as the geological column. The earth is completely covered by massive layers of sedimentary rock that were deposited under "flood" conditions. What's silly is you don't do your homework.
You're kidding? You say I should do my home work....You obviously haven't done yours. The answers to these questions are not in the bible. You have not explained how the vast amounts of fossil fuels could be deposited in only 6,000 years, and you can't because it didn't happen that way.

Fossil fuels are formed by the anaerobic ( no oxygen) decomposition of remains of organisms including phytoplankton and zooplankton that settled to the sea (or lake) bottom in large quantities millions of years ago. Over geological time, this organic matter, mixed with mud, got buried under heavy layers of sediment. The resulting high levels of heat and pressure caused the organic matter to chemically alter, first into a waxy material known as kerogen which is found in oil shales, and then with more heat into liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons in a process known as catagenesis.
Terrestrial plants, on the other hand, tend to form coal. Many of the coal fields date to the Carboniferous period of Earth's history. Terrestrial plants also form type III kerogen, a source of natural gas.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Fossil Fuels?

Almost all fossils on earth are found buried in sedimentary rock (sandstone, limestone, and shale), which are found in stratified beds. Many of these layers of rock have been named and are frequently diagrammed as a cross-section known as the geological column. The earth is completely covered by massive layers of sedimentary rock that were deposited under "flood" conditions. What's silly is you don't do your homework.
Well some silly person did indeed not do their homework, but it wasn't sanspeur.

Sedimentary rock forms under four distinct circumstances--many times interconnected: weathering, deposition, erosion, and lithification (which consists of two processes). All sedimentary rock formation begins with igneous, metamorphic, or other sedimentary rocks. When these rocks are exposed at the earth’s surface they begin the long, slow, relentless process of becoming sedimentary rock.

The first process is weathering. All rocks are subject to weathering. Weathering is anything that breaks the rocks into smaller pieces or sediments. This can happen by the forces of like wind, rain, and freezing water. Then, the sediments that form from these actions are often carried to other places by the wind, running water, and gravity. As these forces lose energy the sediments settle out of the air or water. As the settling takes place, the rock fragments are graded by size, that is, the larger, heavier rock settles out first. The smallest fragments travel further and settle out last. The process of settling out is called deposition. The combination of weathering and movement of the resulting sediments is called erosion.

Lithification is the changing of sediments into rock. There are two processes involved in this change, compaction and cementation.

Compaction occurs after the sediments have been deposited. The weight of the sediments squeezes the particles together. As more and more sediments are deposited the weight on the sediments below increases. Waterborne sediments become so tightly squeezed together that most of the water is pushed out. Cementation happens as dissolved minerals become deposited in the spaces between the sediments. These minerals act as glue or cement to bind the sediments together.

This process of sedimentary rock formation takes millions of years to complete. That same exposed rock on the surface which has become sedimentary rock will then begin a new cycle of rock formation.

Here you go--educate yourself courtesy of Georgia Perimeter College.

Sedimentary Rocks

Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You're kidding? You say I should do my home work....You obviously haven't done yours. The answers to these questions are not in the bible. You have not explained how the vast amounts of fossil fuels could be deposited in only 6,000 years, and you can't because it didn't happen that way.

Fossil fuels are formed by the anaerobic ( no oxygen) decomposition of remains of organisms including phytoplankton and zooplankton that settled to the sea (or lake) bottom in large quantities millions of years ago. Over geological time, this organic matter, mixed with mud, got buried under heavy layers of sediment. The resulting high levels of heat and pressure caused the organic matter to chemically alter, first into a waxy material known as kerogen which is found in oil shales, and then with more heat into liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons in a process known as catagenesis.
Terrestrial plants, on the other hand, tend to form coal. Many of the coal fields date to the Carboniferous period of Earth's history. Terrestrial plants also form type III kerogen, a source of natural gas.
Have you ever heard of aiobiotic oil?
This is oil that does not come from prehistoric sludge, but is developed close to the earth's core. Do some more research.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
The geological column has been misinterpreted due to a failure of the scientific community to recognize the occurrence of the global flood, and there is plenty of evidence these formations are relatively young.

The flood strata does not represent a history of millions of years of accumulation, but is an obvious record of a world-wide devastating catastrophe that nothing was able to survive naturally.

The geological column is a tremendous blanket of sedimentary rock that has been found to cover the entire earth. Layers of flood liberated deposits of sandstone, limestone, and shale completely cover every landmass by hundreds of feet. This thick strata has been interpreted by secular scientists to represent the history of life on earth over more than 600 million years. Except where erosion and uplift has removed these layers, there is not one square inch on earth not covered in thick flood strata. The geological column can be traced across entire continents and correlated with similar layers on other continents.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of aiobiotic oil?
This is oil that does not come from prehistoric sludge, but is developed close to the earth's core. Do some more research.
You are the one that lacks research....This is too easy....Of course I've heard of abiotioc oil a long time ago. Abiogenic oil is an alternative hypothesis to the prevailing biological origin theory of petroleum origins. Most popular between the 1950s and 1980s, the abiogenic hypothesis has little support among petroleum geologists, who argue that abiogenic petroleum does not exist in significant amounts and that there is no indication that an application of the hypothesis is or has ever been of commercial value. Our fossil fuels are just that. Deposited over millions of years.

I'm now assuming now that your "research" sites consist of sites like "Answers in Genesis"....No answers there either....At least not accurate ones.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM

60 posts, read 105,043 times
Evolutions Family Tree Theory Collapsing

well it is collapsing coz it is one imaginative and creative fairy tale. i just watched R. Attenborough babbling about ingenious(indeed) evolution theory by darwin and i just have to laugh. coz apparently the first batch of evolution, dinosaurs were dominant, then came the asteroids and blast them away. and the 2nd batch of evolution is us Humans that dominate. why did the dinosaurs didn't come out in in this "new" evolution? and why did humans didn't evolve in the first evolution? BECAUSE IT IS A FREAKING FAIRY TALE!!! 6,000 yrs or 2009 years is a long enough time for something to evolve but there is no recorded evolution with "ACTUAL" proofs yet. BECAUSE IT IS A FREAKING FAIRY TALE!!! just coz science has seen bacterias evolving to something does not necessarily mean it applies to all living things. it is just hilarious to me. those who believe in evolution will really have a rude awakening when they die. how ironic.

and despite the fact that i love the movie armageddon. the science fairy tale of asteroids hitting earth is just laughable. IT DID NOT HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!. DESPITE WHAT SCIENCE says. and i know i seen the pic of the apparent asteroid impact somewhere.. but honestly? hahahaha

Old 08-30-2009, 07:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhgp View Post
Evolutions Family Tree Theory Collapsing

well it is collapsing coz it is one imaginative and creative fairy tale. i just watched R. Attenborough babbling about ingenious(indeed) evolution theory by darwin and i just have to laugh. coz apparently the first batch of evolution, dinosaurs were dominant, then came the asteroids and blast them away. and the 2nd batch of evolution is us Humans that dominate. why did the dinosaurs didn't come out in in this "new" evolution? and why did humans didn't evolve in the first evolution? BECAUSE IT IS A FREAKING FAIRY TALE!!! 6,000 yrs or 2009 years is a long enough time for something to evolve but there is no recorded evolution with "ACTUAL" proofs yet. BECAUSE IT IS A FREAKING FAIRY TALE!!! just coz science has seen bacterias evolving to something does not necessarily mean it applies to all living things. it is just hilarious to me. those who believe in evolution will really have a rude awakening when they die. how ironic.

and despite the fact that i love the movie armageddon. the science fairy tale of asteroids hitting earth is just laughable. IT DID NOT HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE!. DESPITE WHAT SCIENCE says. and i know i seen the pic of the apparent asteroid impact somewhere.. but honestly? hahahaha
My Dad can beat up your Dad.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhgp View Post
why did the dinosaurs didn't come out in in this "new" evolution? and why did humans didn't evolve in the first evolution?
Because the conditions on earth were different each time. That's pretty important to evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality