Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,423,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As a Pastafarian I believe my God is as valid as any other....May you be touched by His noodley appendage.
At least the FSM never asked it's followers to cut off the end their own noodley appendage to show their worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,200,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Vic . . . the lack of deep thought that has been displayed by your adversaries in these threads precludes their ever understanding the points you are trying to make.
Yes, because calling your adversaries "Emo kid" is a display of deep thought.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,762,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't agree, if we are strictly talking about religious beliefs. There is a lot more to character than that.
One informs the other.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,508,512 times
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is to religion as what John Stewart's Daily Show is to main-stream media: self-described parodies to something that has become outlandishly stupid and out of touch with reality.

The fact that religious folks are arguing that the FSM is/is not an actual deity and if it is really a true religion is actually all the more amusing. When will you realize that you are being made fun of?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,707,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
At least the FSM never asked it's followers to cut off the end their own noodley appendage to show their worship.
Thread winner!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Again, this is Empricism, which is not the philosophical school of thought which religion is based on, which would be Idealism, Existentialism, etc. Hence, the whole "show me the evidence" argument for God makes about as much sense as showing someone "evidence" for joy and hope. This is not an issue of Empricism, but one of Existentialism and Idealism.
Joy and hope is something most folk can or have experienced. No atheists will state otherwise.

My examples:

Joy - when I witnessed the birth and subsequent growth of my children.

Hope - when I submit a quote, I hope I get the job. Usually I do when the folk can afford my services. Well that may be more anticipation.

However the gawd of theists cannot be experienced like these two regular emotions.

If I ever got to meet the biblical gawd, he would certainly have much 'splain' to do. But if he/she/it is anything like what it states in the buybull, I guess, he/she/it would smite me dead before I got one syllable out. I certainly doubt that anything it manifested as would make me fall on my knees. Seems that gawd only gets to manifest itself in things like donkeys, fish that swallow men but do not digest them or men that somehow get themselves killed for claiming a deity-ship.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,707,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Seems that gawd only gets to manifest itself in things like donkeys, fish that swallow men but do not digest them or men that somehow get themselves killed for claiming a deity-ship.
Don't forget, he also kills children who laugh at bald men, and guys that accidentally try to save his 'ark of the covenant' from tipping over.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,461 times
Just read the rest of the posts past my last response quote.

You guys really think we take the FSM seriously? Geez debating you we do in sleep or hibernation mode, in my case sometimes I still get reps for posts I make in (almost) sleep mode.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Then please show me a real testimony (not parody) of this "faith", and then I will call it valid, just as I call Wicca valid, even though it is relatively new.
That is the real strawman, your assertion that you have the authority to arbitrarily decide what is a real faith and what isn't. Every religious text that you describe as a real testimony is nothing more than parody to someone that doesn't believe it is true.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,880,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post

Is "make a big wooden plane to attract other planes so that the gods in the will give you cargo" a timeless truth about the human condition?
People still laugh at the "cargo cults" but at least their gods delivered.

Of course we could find some of our own god(s) really do (or did) exist and are similarly mundane in their nature. a la the whole "ancient astronauts" theory (for which there is absolutely NO real archaelological evidence, I might add)

Or maybe we are just weird monkeys that live a pointless existence and blink out when we die. If that is so, then humans might eventually figure out how to live forever, travel the universe and become "gods" on their own. So you could say there "will" be gods in the future.

So, if we have the potential, who's to say intelligent life on other planets millions and billions of years older than our own haven't done it already? Maybe earth is the tadpole pond for a species of non-organic intelligent life that grows sentience while riding along as some kind of energy in the local "wildlife"? The posiblities are endless and are by no means limited to just born-live-die.

It is not wise to embrace something that may not be true, but it equally foolish to firmly decide what does and does not exist when we currently have such a limited perspective of the universe.

So the REAL question is who is the greater fool, the believer or the unbeliever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality