Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,982,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The voices people mistake for gawd are simply suffering from mental illness.
Then can we assume, people with mental illness can fortell future events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,407,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, once after I failed a job interview, God spoke to me in a voice I could hear. All He said was. "Tom, you did everything but pray about getting a job." So when I heard that, I went and prayed. And as soon as I said the (A) of Amen. The phone next to me began to ring, and while I was still on my knees, the man on the other end of the line asked if I could start work for their company the next monday morning. If you know God wants you to do something, why would you not want to obey Him?

You have a very vivid imagination. That's all. The lady who drowned her 5 little kids also said that she heard the voice of god. I wish she wouldn't have obeyed him.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,407,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
My parents were physically abusive when I was growing up because their imaginary friend told them to. I wasn't a rotten little bastard and I didn't need an ass whoopin' to not become another Ted Bundy, Jefferey Dahmer, Wayne Gacey or Paris Hilton. None of the other kids were rotten little bastards nor need an ass whoopin' either. Abuse does more harm to the individual. If the here and now were more important to people rather than some fantasy afterland they might actually work to be kinder to one another instead of trying to hurt someone else because some undetectable invisible wizard tells them to. This is the reason that I'll never follow organized religion. So many of its adherents make god more important than humanity. This is an evil thing because it gives someone the mentality that whatever god tells them to do is what they have to do. It doesn't matter how it affects an actual person.

Geez I feel really bad for you Agnostic Soldier! I think you need a hug. You speak truth! A lot of the people I went to church with were downright mean to their kids. All in the name of the "afterlife"!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
You have a very vivid imagination. That's all. The lady who drowned her 5 little kids also said that she heard the voice of god. I wish she wouldn't have obeyed him.
If that lady had a relationship with the real God, she would of also of known, that the voice that spoke to her, was not the voice of God.
The Bible speaks of lying spirits who will pass on wrong information. And unless you have a real relationship with God, such people can, and will be deceived.

I recall another time in my life when I was driving home and thanking God for my life, when right in the middle of my prayer God spoke to me again and said. "Tom, your wife is going to have a child." Four hours later, my wife found out she was pregnant. Yet, I knew she was pregnant four hours before she knew.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 PM

33,579 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:
If that lady had a relationship with the real God, she would of also of known, that the voice that spoke to her, was not the voice of God.
The Bible speaks of lying spirits who will pass on wrong information. And unless you have a real relationship with God, such people can, and will be deceived.

I recall another time in my life when I was driving home and thanking God for my life, when right in the middle of my prayer God spoke to me again and said. "Tom, your wife is going to have a child." Four hours later, my wife found out she was pregnant. Yet, I knew she was pregnant four hours before she knew.
Yes, your god of the magical balloons....We know all about your "special" relationship with your personal god...

Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,559,174 times
If there were a reliable "litmus" test for the "voice" of .... "God"... that would clear everything up.

However, there isn't such a test & people who love such nonsense will continue to do/believe what the "voice/s" tell them. There seems to be evidence that hearing voices can be schizophrenia... Now... that's not a pretty subject...sorry.

Kate

Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,046,216 times
Quote:

Oh man, I feel sorry for your kid.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM

25 posts, read 34,284 times
When i have children of my own some day, and they ask me that familiar question all parents receive; "but DAD WHY?" I'm gonna say, "BECAUSE GOD SAID SO!"

The above is excellent parenting

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
If there were a reliable "litmus" test for the "voice" of .... "God"... that would clear everything up.

However, there isn't such a test & people who love such nonsense will continue to do/believe what the "voice/s" tell them. There seems to be evidence that hearing voices can be schizophrenia... Now... that's not a pretty subject...sorry.

Kate

If you knew your Bible, you would of understood that such a test does exists.

1 John 4, 1,2,3

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, (BUT TEST THE SPIRITS) to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God.

And such spirits do exist, and in fact, if you watch some of the shows airing on TV these days. They have different people looking for Ghost ect. And often the voices of these spirits are recorded, and played back for the viewing audience. Do you think those recording machines have schizophrenia? LOL

Last edited by Campbell34; 11-03-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,571,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrialSongRunner View Post
When i have children of my own some day, and they ask me that familiar question all parents receive; "but DAD WHY?" I'm gonna say, "BECAUSE GOD SAID SO!"

The above is excellent parenting
In other words, instead of admitting a lack of knowledge you want to continue pushing a fairy tale as truth?

Lying is not good parenting, it is more a form of mental abuse, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality