Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times

Advertisements

This doesn't pertain to all believers, but I've noticed that some of them always say they did something because god told them to. Why is it that the ones who claim this think that it somehow justifies their actions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
because god told them so.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Alone, I think the whole "God told me to" thing is stupid. I mean, what if God told you to start a war for oil? (ohh wait, that's what happened with Bush...) How does one know it's God and not their own impulses? (The Id or the Shadow)

But, if someone were to say "Because of X and God told me" okay. I mean, if you see someone on the street who looks like they are in trouble and someone goes over and helps them, they could say "because it seemed like a good idead and God told me to do it" then that's fine. I just think that basing all of one's decisions on what God told them to do is a receipe for disaster...I mean, God did give us a BRAIN with which to reason our ways through things and hence, not have to go to he/she/them/it all the time, right?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
God doesn't tell anyone to do anything. He guides only. He gave us free will to make choices. And if God did tell you to do something, it would never, ever be a negative, only positives. People like to blame God because people are insecure with themselves and like to blame others for their own misfortunes.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Well look at all of the good ole boys in the OT whom god "told" to do stuff. Mostly kill others! God or Mental Illness?! I vote for illness.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
God doesn't tell anyone to do anything. He guides only. He gave us free will to make choices. And if God did tell you to do something, it would never, ever be a negative, only positives. People like to blame God because people are insecure with themselves and like to blame others for their own misfortunes.
You can't be talking about the Christian, Jewish or Muslim god....They are not exactly benevolent.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Well look at all of the good ole boys in the OT whom god "told" to do stuff. Mostly kill others! God or Mental Illness?! I vote for illness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You can't be talking about the Christian, Jewish or Muslim god....They are not exactly benevolent.
Just because something is written in a book, does not mean I have to believe it. I do not believe that the God in the OT is the true God. I believe that the writers put their own interpretation of God in the OT to control the masses. God is loving and kind, merciful and complete unconditional love. I have never believed in a God of anger or hatred for His children.
I have felt the true God in my soul with His love for me. It portrays nothing that is written in that book. I have free will to choose what I want to believe. God loves us in a way that no one can possibly imagine. His love is always positive and never harmful to anyone.
Only those who have a dark soul will believe in the God of the OT.

If people think that God is like the OT portrays, why in the world would you even want to read and believe in something so horrible to mankind? Don't you all have free will to ignore it and believe in a different God? No one said we have to believe what everyone else believes. No one said we have to live in fear and intolerance. No one said we have to be followers of others in order to get to heaven. Be love and open your eyes to what is real. Just be Love. It's not as hard as it seems. Ponder being love and you'll get it.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post

Good point.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 AM

218 posts, read 311,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Good point.
I second that. Good point!!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Which is why I've asked before, if you, as a Christian today, lived in the time of Moses and heard him tell you to go kill Midianites because he said god TOLD HIM SO, would you have done it OR would you say:

Quote:
God doesn't tell anyone to do anything.
My point is, why do Christians accept the same nonsense written in the Bible but then distance themselves from the SAME claims being made today by people just like them who claim "god told them so?

I see a great amount of smug arrogance next door on this very subject. Quite a few claiming they "listen to the holy spirit," or they "only obey the Bible" or "they listen to god" an others should too. What they are essentially saying is they have it right because they listen to god and have some inside audible relationship going on with it and others don't. The hilarious thing is, everybody seems to be hearing something different as evidenced by the wildly, differing opinions on items in their holy book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality