Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times

Advertisements

The thread about the book of Jesus got me to thinking about a question that has never even occurred to me before. I think it would be likely that Jesus like most of the population at the time would have been unable to read or write although I've never heard anyone express an opinion on it. Of course if he was able to turn water into wine I wouldn't think that it would have been difficult at all to do so (obligatory sarcastic remark).
When you stop and think about it the Bible only contains written accounts of the life of Jesus that were written long after his death. Because Christians believe that the Bible is God's word wouldn't it have made alot more sense to have Jesus contribute a certain portion of the Bible in his own words? That would have ended so much of the speculation and unanswered questions regarding his life and his message. Has anyone ever heard of anything whatsoever that was ever written and directly attributed to Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Yeah! Interesting isn't ...that this god came to Earth in human form to spread his message yet wrote not one single word of it himself. In his infinite wisdom, he thought it better to leave that to fallible humans.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
No, and I don't think he would tell the story quite like the bible and millions of modern day christians do.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
I like your original thoughts, OP!

He should have at least written a book on carpentry. Then again, if I could convert water to free wine, my time would not be spent writing.

Last edited by calmdude; 10-29-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
And you would think that if Jesus is who Christian make him out to be, why write a book? Leave us a PBS documentary or something. E-mail us or befriend us on Facebook.

On an Old Testament note, ever wondered why Israel, who supposedly had the almighty god of the universe on their side never seemed to be ahead of their enemies when it came to weapons? You would have thought that while Israel's enemies were still toying around with words and spears, god would have upgraded Israel to cruise missiles, jet fighters and Uzis. Now THAT would have been impressive.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
But you know it's all true because poeple said it was. I mean, can you honestly say you would remember everything you ever said to anyone and what they said to you even after just 1 year? It's the "word of God" though.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about the book of Jesus got me to thinking about a question that has never even occurred to me before. I think it would be likely that Jesus like most of the population at the time would have been unable to read or write although I've never heard anyone express an opinion on it. Of course if he was able to turn water into wine I wouldn't think that it would have been difficult at all to do so (obligatory sarcastic remark).
When you stop and think about it the Bible only contains written accounts of the life of Jesus that were written long after his death. Because Christians believe that the Bible is God's word wouldn't it have made alot more sense to have Jesus contribute a certain portion of the Bible in his own words? That would have ended so much of the speculation and unanswered questions regarding his life and his message. Has anyone ever heard of anything whatsoever that was ever written and directly attributed to Jesus?
Well, just a rumor actually, but, I understand that he co-authored a few articles with Madeline Murray O'Hair.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,457,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Are you kidding?
He wrote the Book!
He personally lasered the Ten commandments into stone tablets, twice! Otherwise, He dictated to His prophets, like Moses, who wrote what He said to write, Moses wrote that YHWH said "write thus and so".

BTW: as "God the Word" He also wrote the "Scripture of Truth" in heaven for the angels to read and to know what will befall the sons of Adam from the beginning to the end. Enoch saw those tablets in heaven, and the angel told Daniel what would befall his people [Israel] which was written in those tablets in heaven, until the end, in Daniel 10:21, which comprise Daniel 11 and 12, int he telling of the events which would take place.

The actual translation of the words in Daniel 10:21 state:
Daniel 10:21: But [I will] shew [thee that which is] noted/written/inscribed [in the] Scripture of Truth: [and there is] one/echad [who] binds [with me in? -probably just- "these things"], Michael your prince.

Quote:
[Chapter 81]
1 And he said unto me:
' Observe, Enoch, these heavenly tablets,
And read what is written thereon,
And mark every individual fact.'

2 And I observed the heavenly tablets, and read everything which was written (thereon) and understood everything, and read the book of all the deeds of mankind, and of all the children of flesh 3 that shall be upon the earth to the remotest generations. And forthwith I blessed the great Lord the King of glory for ever, in that He has made all the works of the world,
And I extolled the Lord because of His patience,
And blessed Him because of the children of men.
4 And after that I said:
' Blessed is the man who dies in righteousness and goodness,
Concerning whom there is no book of unrighteousness written,
And against whom no day of judgement shall be found.'

[Chapter 93]
1,2 And after that Enoch both gave and began to recount from the books. And Enoch said:
' Concerning the children of righteousness and concerning the elect of the world,
And concerning the plant of uprightness, I will speak these things,
Yea, I Enoch will declare (them) unto you, my sons:
According to that which appeared to me in the heavenly vision,
And which I have known through the word of the holy angels,
And have learnt from the heavenly tablets.'

[Chapter 103]
1 Now, therefore, I swear to you, the righteous, by the glory of the Great and Honoured and 2 Mighty One in dominion, and by His greatness I swear to you.
I know a mystery
And have read the heavenly tablets,
And have seen the holy books,

And have found written therein and inscribed regarding them:
3 That all goodness and joy and glory are prepared for them,
And written down for the spirits of those who have died in righteousness,
And that manifold good shall be given to you in recompense for your labours,
And that your lot is abundantly beyond the lot of the living.

chapter 106 And after that there shall be still more unrighteousness than that which was first consummated on the earth; for I know the mysteries of the holy ones; for He, the Lord, has showed me and informed me, and I have read (them) in the heavenly tablets.
[Chapter 107]

Quote:
[Chapter 108]
1 Another book which Enoch wrote for his son Methuselah and for those who will come after him, 2 and keep the law in the last days. Ye who have done good shall wait for those days till an end is made of those who work evil; and an end of the might of the transgressors. And wait ye indeed till sin has passed away, for their names shall be blotted out of the book of life and out of the holy books, and their seed shall be destroyed for ever, and their spirits shall be slain, and they shall cry and make lamentation in a place that is a chaotic wilderness, and in the fire shall they burn; for there is no earth there. And I saw there something like an invisible cloud; for by reason of its depth I could not look over, and I saw a flame of fire blazing brightly, and things like shining 5 mountains circling and sweeping to and fro. And I asked one of the holy angels who was with me and said unto him: ' What is this shining thing? for it is not a heaven but only the flame of a blazing 6 fire, and the voice of weeping and crying and lamentation and strong pain.'
And he said unto me: ' This place which thou seest-here are cast the spirits of sinners and blasphemers, and of those who work wickedness, and of those who pervert everything that the Lord hath spoken through the mouth 7 of the prophets-(even) the things that shall be.
For some of them are written and inscribed above in the heaven, in order that the angels may read them and know that which shall befall the sinners, and the spirits of the humble,
and of those who have afflicted their bodies, and been recompensed 8 by God; and of those who have been put to shame by wicked men: Who love God and loved neither gold nor silver nor any of the good things which are in the world, but gave over their bodies to torture.
Who, since they came into being, longed not after earthly food, but regarded everything as a passing breath, and lived accordingly, and the Lord tried them much, and their spirits were 10 found pure so that they should bless His name. And all the blessings destined for them I have recounted in the books. And he hath assigned them their recompense, because they have been found to be such as loved heaven more than their life in the world, and though they were trodden under foot of wicked men, and experienced abuse and reviling from them and were put to shame, 11 yet they blessed Me. And now I will summon the spirits of the good who belong to the generation of light, and I will transform those who were born in darkness, who in the flesh were not recompensed 12 with such honour as their faithfulness deserved. And I will bring forth in shining light those who 13 have loved My holy name, and I will seat each on the throne of his honour. And they shall be resplendent for times without number; for righteousness is the judgement of God; for to the faithful 14 He will give faithfulness in the habitation of upright paths. And they shall see those who were , 15 born in darkness led into darkness, while the righteous shall be resplendent. And the sinners shall cry aloud and see them resplendent, and they indeed will go where days and seasons are prescribed for them.'

Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Are you kidding?
He wrote the Book!
He personally lasered the Ten commandments into stone tablets, twice! Otherwise, He dictated to His prophets, like Moses, who wrote what He said to write, Moses wrote that YHWH said "write thus and so".
Is it even possible for you to go too far?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Are you kidding?
He wrote the Book!

BTW: as "God the Word" He also wrote the "Scripture of Truth" in heaven for the angels to read and to know what will befall the sons of Adam from the beginning to the end. Enoch saw those tablets in heaven, and the angel told Daniel what would befall his people [Israel] which was written in those tablets in heaven, until the end, in Daniel 10:21, which comprise Daniel 11 and 12, int he telling of the events which would take place.

The actual translation of the words in Daniel 10:21 state:
Daniel 10:21: But [I will] shew [thee that which is] noted/written/inscribed [in the] Scripture of Truth: [and there is] one/echad [who] binds [with me in? -probably just- "these things"], Michael your prince.
hahahahaha Lasered? They didn't have lasers!! Off rocker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality