Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Life just is. If you're talking about life purpose,
it is whatever you decide it will be.
Very good...if you think life is to have fun - there you have it.
If you think life is a punishment - there it is.
If you think life is to reach your full potential, spiritually, there you have that.

I think these old threads have great topics...
since we aren't supposed to duplicate, these seem just fine to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 09:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,038,233 times
Ultimately, we were created in God's image, to glorify God.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:00 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The "we" is inappropriate.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 27,635,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Selective reading of the book of Genesis does not change what's written in it.
And what kind of hungry, selfish deity is it, if it cares only about praise? What is, so to speak, spiritual energy food for it.

I'll pass. I'll stick with Prometheus, who cared less for praise, gave much and suffered for eons, never regretting it.

BF, I ask simple question. Simple answer, please.

How long do you think you will last, standing there 24/7, singing hosanna? Do you at least have any concept how dumb this sounds?

But anyhow... those "created" (formed, actually) in whatever image, were all slaughtered anyway. So much for creation. Must have been bad template.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:26 PM

63,850 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Selective reading of the book of Genesis does not change what's written in it.
And what kind of hungry, selfish deity is it, if it cares only about praise? What is, so to speak, spiritual energy food for it.

I'll pass. I'll stick with Prometheus, who cared less for praise, gave much and suffered for eons, never regretting it.
BF s just parroting platitudes. The idea of glorifying God is preposterous. God does NOT need praise or anything else from us. Nothing we puny humans can do would in any way add to the Glory of God which is infinite. We are to reproduce God's consciousness. That is our role in Creation. God is a Living God and that requires reproduction. Prior to Jesus, we were doing an atrocious job of it and we are barely doing any better since Jesus. Our job is to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't. We are to produce as much love as possible in our short physical life because it is what will comprise our next life as Spirit.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:42 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,352,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
What do you think is the meaning of life?

Old 12-17-2019, 04:50 PM

23,179 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
What do you think is the meaning of life?
To become a high priest of Judaism.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,809,512 times
I think it is to create a life through the power of our choices, remembering that our choices will continue to impact future generations.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:32 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,223,704 times
A simple answer to the question : What is the meaning of life?
The meaning of life is life. Without life there is no meaning. The goal of life is more abundant life. Life is an endless struggle against extinction by a hostile inanimate universe. Therefore, we should strive to express the love of God and Man; to establish more abundant life; to bring life to lifeless places; and to prepare a place for the seventh generation yet to come.
The future goal for more abundant life is to colonize outer space, where all energy, power and necessities are already available, except for life. And we can slowly fill the galaxy over the next half billion years.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God does NOT need praise or anything else from us. Nothing we puny humans can do would
in any way add to the Glory of God which is infinite.
As you know, I disagree - a part of God Himself is a bottomless well of pure neeeed....endless need.

(I always feel to add - I don't make this stuff up or read it.)

Came back to add: Yes, that is one aspect of this Supreme Being, sure, that He needs nothing and nothing could add
to His Self-effulgent glory. I don't need anything or anybody either, one aspect of me ---
then, there is the other aspect that does need something else...just like my Dad...apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 12-19-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality