Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM

57 posts, read 134,847 times

Advertisements

If I'm never taught about gravity do I still get hurt if I fall off the roof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
If I'm never taught about gravity do I still get hurt if I fall off the roof?
So babies burn in hell?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huh? View Post
The catholic (and some Protestant) teaching is that only baptized babies go to heaven.

Someone got to thinking....and figured that if they weren't baptized, and they weren't old enough to sin....what happens? They can't get to both places. So "limbo" was invented. It's kind of a less bad purgatory.

But to answer the question....scripture would support the notion that they go to heaven. When King David lost his son he was pretty sure he'd see him again.
Did you read the article? The author addresses that very thing.

If "scripture" unambiguously asserted that babies who die get a free pass to heaven, then there would not be Christians who believe otherwise. Truth is, Christians don't want to believe that babies (who die) go to hell; its repugnant to them. In the same way, those of us on the outside of Christianity believe that anyone spending eternity in torment is repugnant.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM

73 posts, read 88,638 times
Sorry to but in as I may be repeating something that has already been pointed out, but it does seem logical that babies would make it into heaven (or something of the sort). They do not have the ability to understand right and wrong and apply it to their actions/thoughts and how they live their life. They are still in the phase of innocence. I am willing to consider other arguments, but this just seems most logical to me. How can God judge a baby who is incapable of judging its own actions?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbok23 View Post
Sorry to but in as I may be repeating something that has already been pointed out, but it does seem logical that babies would make it into heaven (or something of the sort). They do not have the ability to understand right and wrong and apply it to their actions/thoughts and how they live their life. They are still in the phase of innocence. I am willing to consider other arguments, but this just seems most logical to me. How can God judge a baby who is incapable of judging its own actions?
But the point is that the author of the article denies that babies are innocent, and he comes to that conclusion from his understanding of scripture. I too find his beliefs repugnant; however I find it equally repugnant that anyone deserves eternal suffering because of finite sins in this short, sad life.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM

66 posts, read 97,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
But the point is that the author of the article denies that babies are innocent, and he comes to that conclusion from his understanding of scripture. I too find his beliefs repugnant; however I find it equally repugnant that anyone deserves eternal suffering because of finite sins in this short, sad life.
Agreed. The whole "by the sword" god is a construct, in my opinion, for reasons such as this. The manner in which constructs such as the "devil," "hell," and "purgatory" develop in theological texts likewise illustrate how fallible and man made they are.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,477 times
Gotta chime in on this one.

Looking at the creation story there are some things that need to be noted.
First, Adam and Eve are created and sinless right?

Second, because of the knowledge tree, Adam and Eve find themselves in a fallen condition.

Third, it is noted that "after" the knowledge tree, Adam and Eve are found to have disobeyed, or in other words judged because of the second above.

The fourth one is expulsion, death, separation of both spirit and flesh.

Having brought that to light, lets look at a new born baby.

Could we say that a new born is the same as or equal to the innocence of Adam and Eve before the knowledge tree?

No condemnation on either case is there?

Now, when the child comes to the age of accountability, it can be said that, the child now knows and understands the difference between what is right and what is not right to the degree that a choice is made, right or wrong.

At that point, separation begins, or expulsion, and death of spirit because the child now has becomes "as like one of us".

So, after that happens, salvation of that child's soul is required, but prior to that state, the child is innocent and perfect as Adam and Eve were before the fall.

My thoughts, my views as I understand them based on the creation story, Romans 8:20, Christ's redemption, and the new birth condition.

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-02-2009, 01:55 PM

73 posts, read 88,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
True, sometimes I find it hard to believe as well. So many things to think about and so little time in life. How can we be expected to figure out all of the answers when we could die tomorrow?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Gotta chime in on this one.

Looking at the creation story there are some things that need to be noted.
First, Adam and Eve are created and sinless right?
Wrong!

Thus the rest of your post is moot.

It is the the "here is the conclusion, let us see what facts fit it assertion".

Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
From the descriptions of my life as a baby as described by my Mother I don't think I was destined to become a saint. If I wasn't screaming my head off I was busy puking or causing havoc in any way that my baby brain could devise. If there really was a heaven and I had died as a baby I don't believe they would have accepted me under any circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality