Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 AM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times

Advertisements

The whole thing boils down to a choice....Reality vs myth....I have lived in both worlds...Most Christians have not, so being busy making excuses for their make believe world leaves them little understanding of reality....The idea that babies are somehow born bad is in itself bad. We are born with a clean slate, and like a new computer we can fill it with garbage or useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,259,381 times
Quote:
We are born with a clean slate, and like a new computer we can fill it with garbage or useful information.>>>sanspeur
There is no argument there, but I should add that having been born in the flesh is in itself the potential to rebel against what God is.

What I mean by rebel, is that the choices we make are influenced heavily by this worlds lusts verses the desires of God in our lives making of us a god of ourselves which is rebellion against God.

Now, the opposite of rebellion is a loyalist.

Submitting to the will of God is surrendering our rebellious nature to that of God's loving nature.

A baby then has the potential, but if it never reaches that potential, then there is no rebellion and there is no god type actions done.

A mentally impaired individual is similar to that condition.

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Can one really rebel against what is imaginary?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,259,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Can one really rebel against what is imaginary?
As long as we have the first part of the body marriage, which is the spirit breath of life, we have the potential for rebellion.

You see, the Adam in us is the spirit breath of God, while the Eve in us is the flesh.
Married together makes us a living soul.

Were are made in the imagery of God in that we posses the ability to reason, think to make choices, which makes us a separate entity from God.

This separation, when taken effect is death by separation because of the two distinct entities of which only one of the two is superior.

There is no getting away from the spirit breath of God in us because of non belief, but rather becomes a choice.

That choice is what the "gift" of life is, verses the penalty of death, in that God Himself provides the gift free of charge.

We can still be a separate entity, but in surrender to Gods will.

That surrender can only be done with full knowledge of the circumstances and the will in faith to do so.

Babies, have neither.

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,614 times
Quote:
The whole thing boils down to a choice....Reality vs myth....I have lived in both worlds...Most Christians have not, so being busy making excuses for their make believe world leaves them little understanding of reality....
You have lost your faith in Jesus Christ. But pretending that you are better off than those who have not been so foolish (in my opinion) and repeating your lack of faith over and over on this board does not make God just "imaginary" or "myth" or "make believe" to them.

I know that God lives and Jesus is the Christ as much as I know that I am typing on a keyboard right now. But no, you can't bring in some manufactured tool to "prove" that. The proof is within me (like your imagination is within you) and is for me as much a part of my being as is the input about the physical world that I'm getting from my eyes and ears right now - there is a place for both.

With respect for your right to write your opinions as often as you want to, I very much doubt that you are going to convert anyone to godlessness if that is what you are trying to do with your endless testimonies about your newfound faith in atheism.

Last edited by justamere10; 11-04-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,970 times
Quote:
The whole thing boils down to a choice....Reality vs myth....I have lived in both worlds...Most Christians have not, so being busy making excuses for their make believe world leaves them little understanding of reality....The idea that babies are somehow born bad is in itself bad. We are born with a clean slate, and like a new computer we can fill it with garbage or useful information.
I agree completely with this post. The very Idea that an innocent newborn is somehow a sinner to me is just asinine and cruel really. it is just another reason why I dont believe, any God that would do all that was done in the Bible and put a stupid sin on the unborn is not something I would ever want to worship.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
You have lost your faith in Jesus Christ. But pretending that you are better off than those who have not been so foolish (in my opinion) and repeating your lack of faith over and over on this board does not make God just "imaginary" or "myth" or "make believe" to them.

I know that God lives and Jesus is the Christ as much as I know that I am typing on a keyboard right now. But no, you can't bring in some manufactured tool to "prove" that. The proof is within me (like your imagination is within you) and is for me as much a part of my being as is the input about the physical world that I'm getting from my eyes and ears right now - there is a place for both.

With respect for your right to write your opinions as often as you want to, I very much doubt that you are going to convert anyone to godlessness if that is what you are trying to do with your endless testimonies about your newfound faith in atheism.
Did I strike a nerve? Is that what sends you off topic with this rant? What you think you know is only what you believe you know...There is a world of difference between knowing and believing.
A couple of thing you said need to be straightened out..

Point one..I have been an atheist for almost 50 years, so it's not exactly new to me....

Point two...I am not trying to convert anyone, but in this thread am trying to point out the foolishness of the Christian concept of "original sin"

Point three...I have never said, nor pretended that I am better off than the religious.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,614 times
Quote:
Did I strike a nerve? Is that what sends you off topic with this rant? What you think you know is only what you believe you know...There is a world of difference between knowing and believing.
A couple of thing you said need to be straightened out..

Point one..I have been an atheist for almost 50 years, so it's not exactly new to me....

Point two...I am not trying to convert anyone, but in this thread am trying to point out the foolishness of the Christian concept of "original sin"

Point three...I have never said, nor pretended that I am better off than the religious.
Fair enough. Your last two posts ("Can one really rebel against what is imaginary?") assuming you were referring to the Christian belief in God and Jesus Christ as "imaginary", did push a button. My beliefs and probably the beliefs of most sincere Christians are not mere "imagination" regardless of how atheists might want to think they are.

But granted, I didn't read your posts and the context very closely, perhaps I misunderstood and was in error with my comments.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Well perhaps I should have worded it differently. I do consider all religions and gods to be constructed by men, and feel strongly that I have as much right to that belief as you do to yours........Perhaps what I should have said is "how can I rebel against something I consider to be imaginary."

Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM

6,984 posts, read 6,907,840 times
It seems to me that just because there is everlasting life at stake it makes the subject so much more serious. However, there are plenty of things that we have just as much, if not more, evidence/proof/belief in as religion. Ghosts, UFOs, Yeti, all these kind of things probably have even more evidence than religion has, but still there are people who continue to hold on to their beliefs including some of life after death.

Strangely, I too believe in life after death but only because I have had a couple of out-of-body experiences that I believe is not just my mind playing tricks on me. All of the religions agree that there is something after death and that is another 'no-smoke-without-fire' kind of aspect that I cannot ignore.

Personally, I think it is sick and warped to believe that (potentially) your own child will NOT go to 'heaven' just because he/she is not baptised or that he/she did not reach the age where they could make the conscious choice to follow your religion.

I can believe all kinds of cruel actions made by mankind and this belief that babies and children up to the age of X are all "sinners" is one of these examples. If you want a reason why I think this, then I have to say that it is just not a very "christian" or "nice" thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality