Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times

Advertisements

A place to go for a couple of hours a week, drop off a donation and feel good about it?

A place to marry?

A place to work with children and young folks?

A place to have covered plate dinners?

A place to speak to the church family?

A place which conducts religious retreats?

A place to get acquainted with the man who will conduct a memorial at the time of one's death?

A place to ensure that enough folks will show up at that memorial to avoid embarrassment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 AM

42 posts, read 80,152 times
I dont believe in any religion but i know many that do, really it depends on the church there are alot of groups out there that are totally serious about there believes and go there only for church and only to discuss religion, but id say the majority just goes because other people go, and they don't wanna feel left out, and they wanna have that feeling like look at me im here i go to church ima believer, then they all compare clothes and gossip about people who didn't show ????? ugly dress ect.
That sounds harsh but when i used to go thats what happened, and im guessing if the times have changed, theyve changed for the worse.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:04 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
People should go to church with the intent to have fellowship with the Lord and with each other,as it all should be directed toward Him as it is His house and one should be respectul of it as it is not a social club ,but a place of worship.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Church is a place to:

-attend corporate worship,

-engage in Bible study, and

-a launching point for ministry in our community & world.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
I don't get the corporate worship thing. To my people, belief is intensely personal. When we pray, we pray alone as we traditionally believe that these things are between the Creator and individuals only. Even among many Comanches who have become Christians, public displays of spirituality is considered unseemly and is frowned upon.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM

66 posts, read 95,199 times
In addition to providing sound Biblical instruction a good church should grey much be a placE for socializing. But that's not all that ts about.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
I do know sincere Christians who take going to church much more seriously than a social event including family members so I can't accept the question of the OP as an accurate description of everyone who attends church. It is true that there is a strong social element involved in attending services because bonds are being formed with like minded individuals and I see nothing wrong with that. Since I'm an atheist I also try to seek out other atheists, mainly on the internet since there's so few of us, to try to connect with others who share my lack of belief in religion and possibly ideas that we might have in common.
I must admit that when I did attend church in my youth it was mainly due to the social aspect of it because my friends were also attending. It never really took hold with me and I realized I was an atheist when I was fairly young and stopped going to church since that time (early sixties).
I just think it should be pointed out that there are many believers who take this very seriously and for them it rises far above the level of a social event.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A place to go for a couple of hours a week, drop off a donation and feel good about it?

A place to marry?

A place to work with children and young folks?

A place to have covered plate dinners?

A place to speak to the church family?

A place which conducts religious retreats?

A place to get acquainted with the man who will conduct a memorial at the time of one's death?

A place to ensure that enough folks will show up at that memorial to avoid embarrassment?
No doubt, to some.

I don't have a problem with it. There are worse places to hang out.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVicariousX View Post
I dont believe in any religion but i know many that do, really it depends on the church there are alot of groups out there that are totally serious about there believes and go there only for church and only to discuss religion, but id say the majority just goes because other people go, and they don't wanna feel left out, and they wanna have that feeling like look at me im here i go to church ima believer, then they all compare clothes and gossip about people who didn't show ????? ugly dress ect.
That sounds harsh but when i used to go thats what happened, and im guessing if the times have changed, theyve changed for the worse.
This has been my experience as well. I suspect a lot of my family members are this way. Deep down I really doubt they even believe in god, they sure don't strive to be more like Jesus, but going to church gives them a sense of belonging.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I don't get the corporate worship thing. To my people, belief is intensely personal. When we pray, we pray alone as we traditionally believe that these things are between the Creator and individuals only. Even among many Comanches who have become Christians, public displays of spirituality is considered unseemly and is frowned upon.
I do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality