Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM

598 posts, read 917,259 times

Advertisements

This website, "Skeptic's Annotated Bible", annotated Bible (and Koran, and book of Mormon) by categories, such as "absurdity", "contradictions", "cruelty and violence", "intolerance", ...

I personally don't think it is intended to ridicule anyone's faith -- however, I am pretty sure people of faith would perceive it as so.

I guess, the best way to disagree with someone is to provide logical proofs that show otherwise.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
I think the 'faithful' do the most most thorough job of ridiculing their religion.
The 'Family Values section is hilarious.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Disproving the Bible disproves the existence of a God how?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 PM

49 posts, read 114,021 times
This can be a good thing. If skeptics want to sharpen their sense about what's false about a religion, they can digest these arguments. If religionists want to sharpen their sense about what is false about skeptics, they can digest these arguments as well.

At any rate, the result is the same. There is no bad advertizing.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM

118 posts, read 180,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnea Urania Stuart View Post
This can be a good thing. If skeptics want to sharpen their sense about what's false about a religion, they can digest these arguments. If religionists want to sharpen their sense about what is false about skeptics, they can digest these arguments as well.

At any rate, the result is the same. There is no bad advertizing.
X2. Getting pushed around into figuring out the truth for yourself can be very enlightening. You can learn a lot from having a fierce opponet. It can teach you to fight with honor.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
The Skeptic's Annotated Bible is a great resource. I've used it for a few years.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not --struggles against the Divine Word.".........."Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God." ....Martin Luther

Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Disproving the Bible disproves the existence of a God how?
It disproves the god described in the bible.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
This would be a fun collection to use in a debate with door knockers. I think the "disproof of a god" would be only the "god of Abraham". This would address the most violent religions.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 AM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
In order to refine faith and appease a diverse percentage of people (people of faith or those who at least have delved into scripture "strained faithists" as opposed to those in la la land) ridicule is part of the equation and I'll have dialog with anyone even if their interest is perceived wacked out. As
christians we have to dump the holy than thou persona and listen to these intelligent,complex and
seaching for truth diverse critical souls. They are secular thinkers for the most part ,perhaps in bondage to religion with all its craziness or due to a lack of nurturing in the word,having fellowship,
mentoring by elders, and study have tossed out their ridicule without connecting the dots , Welcome
the challenge (this isn't about conversion), but about loving and compasionate debate (inevitable
to be honest) All of us learn from one another. This is and individual walk to a potential eternal
bliss,but dialog is an unselfish requirement I believe by a christian or we don't connect the dots!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality