Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,701,417 times

Advertisements

Level 6 for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes, the reason violent offenders convert is mainly about fear of hell. Let me ask you where you think these people will end up if they are not as you call it "saved"?
Anyone who is not saved will end up in hell, violent past or not. You just made up the claim about the violent offeners converting. You can't possibly know why people convert. People have their own reasons.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,168,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Anyone who is not saved will end up in hell, violent past or not. You just made up the claim about the violent offeners converting. You can't possibly know why people convert. People have their own reasons.
Actually it may disappoint you to know that unlike fundies I don't "just make stuff up."

There is much to be gained by converting to Christianity in America's prisons, and I'm not talking about heaven or hell...

But within Newton there is a special cadre of prisoners who have it a lot easier. General-population inmates live according to rigid schedules determined by prison officials and are monitored constantly, but in this special unit, the 210 inmates have bathroom privacy and even keys to their cells. The special-unit inmates also enjoy big-screen television, free phone calls to family members, less taxing prison jobs and access to computers and art supplies for creative projects perks general-population inmates can only dream about.

Why are these inmates in the special unit treated differently? The surprising answer is because of their religious beliefs. The special unit is a wing of Newton administered by ex-Watergate figure Charles Colson's Prison Fellowship Ministries. Inmates there have agreed to go through an intensive program, called the "InnerChange Freedom Initiative," designed to convert them to fundamentalist Christianity.

Colson Prison Blues | Americans United

Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Actually it may disappoint you to know that unlike fundies I don't "just make stuff up."
Yes you did. Think about it logically: you said that violent offenders convert to Christianity mainly because they fear hell. One simple reason for all. It doesn't work that way.

How could anyone possibly make a claim that everyone converts mainly for the same reason, since there are so many reasons to do it? Most give their life to Jesus to experience joy, peace, freedom from guilt, to finding a purpose in life and experiencing the love of God.

Your words: the reason violent offenders convert is mainly about fear of hell

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 AM

33,566 posts, read 37,168,881 times
Quote:
Your words: the reason violent offenders convert is mainly about fear of hell
I stand by this opinion. Exactly how is having an opinion "making stuff up"?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I stand by this opinion. Exactly how is having an opinion "making stuff up"?
OK, so it was just a personal opinon. Next time try adding the "IMO" or "I think" so people understand you are only expression your personal opinon, and not stating a fact.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,533,421 times
to experience a foretaste of hell one must live and work in south florida during the winter, be in a hurry to cross town and then be detained/delayed by the ubiquitous french canadian motorist with nowhere to go and all day to get there.

you guys simply ain't souveinsin' fast enough for me.

dante was a twit

Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,932,012 times
Can't discuss the mark of the beast(at least for now), so I thought I'd come back to hell. No one seems to care where I wound up. So, I'll just play a couple of tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kjh9lQXLWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5BjIVS04jk

Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,533,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
Can't discuss the mark of the beast(at least for now), so I thought I'd come back to hell. No one seems to care where I wound up.
mais non we know exactly where you ended up, the rest of course was simply a matter of degree.

alighieri was pundit, the pope, bonyfaceIII was the twit.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 PM

391 posts, read 513,970 times
I made it to purgatory. I got high marks on gluttony (absolutely love food) and get it. But, I can't get the high mark on violent circle 7. I've never been in a fight, I've even run away from a few (lover not a fighter. I think I'll try again and see if I get the same results again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality