Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 PM

179 posts, read 295,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Those who believe that the world was not created by God do. That's the precious "Big Bang" theory. Which was, apparently, followed by some sort of life forms, which evolved into today's humans. Complete hogwash. Just read Chapter 1 of the bestselling, most read book of all time.
ummm...In the beginning there was darkness and then there was light. Sounds exactly like big bang theory to me 5000 years before someone rediscovered it. How does it or evolution disprove God? Guess what it doesn't! You make good point. These scientific fools need to get off their high horeses and learn some humility. Their so stupid who say "oh I don't believe in god or heaven theres no proof! Oh you should stop believing in myths" Well guess what if he's real then the non-believers are in for a big surprise and if he's not and all that awaits us is oblivion then we theists have nothing to worry about then now do we? Yes ID and evolution are perfectly compatible as neither disproves the other.

Last edited by PersonaFan; 12-21-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,945 times
Quote:
I suppose not. That's a really good point. Maybe some of the things that I have asserted have been a little over the top. I suppose that what one could do is look at established scientific findings, and fall back on the Word of God for what one cannot find. For instance, the existence of God, which we know to be true, but that cannot be directly proven. (I have tried, going out at night with a microscope and looking directly up in the sky.)
Such is all fine and dandy for a personal view.

However, one cannot call what you suggest "science", and it has no bearing on science whatsoever.

And it certainly shouldn't be cloaked in the fake brocade cloak of "Intelligent Design", and neither ID or Creationism taught as science in public schools.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 PM

179 posts, read 295,264 times
Quote:
And your post barely came up after I responded to the previous one. Here's my answer to that. He doesn't need to be detected. It doesn't need to be proven scientifically plausible. And we don't need intellect. Everything that we ever have a genuine need to know is explained to us in the Bible. We don't need to question God. It seems that we're settling into the mindset lately that we're superior to God, and we need to know how He works, and does what he does. And we don't. We have more important things to worry about anyway.
You know I agree entirely, People don't believe in god becuse he "can't be proven" What idiotic notion. Faith doesn't need proof! They always say that faith in god makes you somehow less intelligent what an idiom! Faith doesn't limit you and place you in a perverbial "box". However, science does limit in the extent it has rules that cannot be bent or broken it says that "this can only be like this and that is only becuse of that" but faith is limitless

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
You know I agree entirely, People don't believe in god becuse he "can't be proven" What idiotic notion. Faith doesn't need proof! They always say that faith in god makes you somehow less intelligent what an idiom! Faith doesn't limit you and place you in a perverbial "box". However, science does limit in the extent it has rules that cannot be bent or broken it says that "this can only be like this and that is only becuse of that" but faith is limitless
Faith generally comes with dogma, and dogma is not limitless. Dogma puts boundaries on your belief. If you are a christian, then are you free to believe your god is a woman? Or one of 20 gods? Or a fallible alien scientist? No, you are commanded to believe in one god, who has an alter ego named Jesus, etc.

Even if you are not bound by strict dogma, faith is still defining belief, putting boundaries around it. If you have faith in a god, then you are limited to belief in that god; you have closed yourself off to any other possibility.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM

331 posts, read 499,053 times
...and we are closed off to any other possibility because we already know the truth. We are satisfied with what we know. We don't need any other possibilities.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM

33,565 posts, read 37,168,881 times
Quote:
...and we are closed off to any other possibility because we already know the truth. We are satisfied with what we know. We don't need any other possibilities.
Now that has to be one of the best examples of a closed mind I've ever seen...I'm guessing you think you have no need to learn about evolution or anything else that is not encompassed by your faith in the unprovable; is that right?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:26 PM

331 posts, read 499,053 times
I personally don't feel a special need to. There is already an established explanation for how this planet came about, and life formed on it. Why would I need to prove that wrong, or learn about everyone that's tried to prove it wrong, or what they've found to attempt to prove it wrong? I mean, I know that you atheists think that us Christians are idiots for believing in what we can't see, but I already know pretty much everything I need to know about the origin of the great planet we live on.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,034,677 times
Quote:
I personally don't feel a special need to. There is already an established explanation for how this planet came about, and life formed on it. Why would I need to prove that wrong, or learn about everyone that's tried to prove it wrong, or what they've found to attempt to prove it wrong? I mean, I know that you atheists think that us Christians are idiots for believing in what we can't see, but I already know pretty much everything I need to know about the origin of the great planet we live on.
I'm sure people who believed in a flat earth felt the same way.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,871,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Who's claiming we just magically popped out of the big black vacuum of space?
Ah yes, thus spake the fundies! They are quite good at attempted besmirching of things they do not understand. Fortunately they are no better at besmirching than they are independent thought.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,642,621 times
Quote:
(I have tried, going out at night with a microscope and looking directly up in the sky.)

There's the problem. A telescope might give a better view of the sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality