Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
.... It doesn't need to be proven scientifically plausible. And we don't need intellect. Everything that we ever have a genuine need to know is explained to us in the Bible. We don't need to question God.

See guys! As I've said many times; there's a whole lot of folks out there who honestly prefer to have others do all their thinking for them!

Simple, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Default Fabulous responses here! Good expositions of thought-processes!

Quote:
... the existence of God, which we know to be true, but that cannot be directly proven. (I have tried, going out at night with a microscope and looking directly up in the sky.)
I strongly suggest you sit up and listen during science classes next time! apparently you didn't pick up too much the first few times around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
ummm...In the beginning there was darkness and then there was light. Sounds exactly like big bang theory to me 5000 years before someone rediscovered it. How does it or evolution disprove God? Guess what it doesn't!

Well, frankly, yes it does, but just not to you. A made-up mind cannot be changed.

These scientific fools (Ah yes; there it is. Facts and evidence and knowledge are frightening, so it's sources are "fools". Right!) need to get off their high horeses and learn some humility.

You speak of humility? You?

Their so stupid who say "oh I don't believe in god or heaven theres no proof! Oh you should stop believing in myths" Well guess what if he's real then the non-believers are in for a big surprise and if he's not and all that awaits us is oblivion then we theists have nothing to worry about then now do we?

Well... aside from the vast percentage of your time alive on this earth that you wasted in fruitless, and futile "worship" of totems, icons and false propheses, and in vigorously attacking atheists. Other than that, I suppose you haven't lost too much, no siree...

Yes ID and evolution are perfectly compatible as neither disproves the other.
A prime example of the kind of thinking that has stalled progress continuously for the past several thousand years. But do go on; it's quite entertaining!

Intelligent Design is, on even the simplest review, brainless and illogical. A kindergarten-level ploy to fight true knowledge being presented in schools.

And accordingly, judges and school boards, except in the more backward districts, have almost universally rejected it. Imagine that!! Rejection by most of you fellow men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
You know I agree entirely, People don't believe in god becuase he "can't be proven" What idiotic notion. Faith doesn't need proof! They always say that faith in god makes you somehow less intelligent what an idiom!

"what an "idiom"?" An IDIOM? Say; can I buy you a dictionary?
You idiom you!

Faith doesn't limit you and place you in a perverbial "box". However, science does limit in the extent it has rules that cannot be bent or broken it says that "this can only be like this and that is only becuse of that" but faith is limitless
Ahh yes... Here again, absolute proof that you were clearly sleeping during science class. Or else, even worse, you actually never took it at all, yet feel strangely qualified to criticize it. Doesn't surprise me. Knowledge has always terrified fundamentalists of any religion, and the more potent and accurate that knowledge is, the more vicious and rude the criticisms.

Quote:
...and we are closed off to any other possibility because we already know the truth. We are satisfied with what we know. We don't need any other possibilities.
Really well put. The proverbial and historic "We dohhnn need no stinkin' new ideas, man!"

Of course you don't. By your standards though, you'd still be living in caves, painting you bodies blue and reading chicken guts. Go for it [can we watch? You know; for entertainment? I'm really getting tired of Benny Hinn]. Meantime, the rest of civilization marches ever onward.

It's absolutely amazing how much truth and knowledge scare people. Then they go on to brainlessly and without any justification, attack the simple Q&A process [science] and it's adherents [scientists] through which mankind has acquired all that valuable knowledge.

A sad commentary on at least some of the human species. Perhaps the rest of us are just more evolved....

Merry Christmas! (an ancient pagan celebration of the winter solstice, BTW...)

Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
I am a Christian, but I believe that God gave us reason and critical thinking skills as part of who we are to learn the secrets of the Universe. And by using this tool, we have discovered that the Universe is far more beautiful, far more inconceivably massive, far more intricate and far more amazing than we could have possibly dreamed in Jesus' time. God didn't give us science to drive us away from Him, but to bring us closer to understanding the awesome, inconceivable power He holds.

Don't be afraid of the idea that the earth is 4 billion years old, that humans evolved slowly over 3 billion years along with the other life here. That doesn't make us any less His children than Genesis teaches us. In the beginning was the Word - and human speech is what truly separates us from the other animal. Our capacity to reason and communicate is what drove us out of the Garden (figuratively or literally), but it is also what brought us back to God through the holy books.

God gave us minds so that we can understand his creation, and I don't think he wants us to shut them off.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Those who believe that the world was not created by God do. That's the precious "Big Bang" theory. Which was, apparently, followed by some sort of life forms, which evolved into today's humans. Complete hogwash. Just read Chapter 1 of the bestselling, most read book of all time.

If you believe that work of fiction then I certainly feel sorry for you and the others that do.

If you truely believe the bible is a work of non-fiction, then you are saying that you are a product of an incestuous relationship between Adam, Eve, and Abel. Since there were no daughters, it must have been Abel getting it on with Eve right? If you can't keep it in the pants keep it in the family!

Thats a great thought to think your great greatx1000 grandfather was "knowing" his mom that way haha if you do not believe that then you yourself are saying the bible is not true.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
...and we are closed off to any other possibility because we already know the truth. We are satisfied with what we know. We don't need any other possibilities.

And when, not if, when they find life on other planets what will the closed minded say to that?

I don't think you can handle the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality