Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,596,106 times

Advertisements

Hey if we are noticing the color of people's skin and getting uptight about it,then we attending church for all the wrong reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:31 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,568,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Hey if we are noticing the color of people's skin and getting uptight about it,then we attending church for all the wrong reasons.
In My Opinion it works a whole lot smoother if one completely ignores the bible. Evidently it impressed Thomas Jefferson the same way:

"Thomas Jefferson said most of the Christian Bible was a dunghill, with a
few diamonds of genuine Jesus sayings. His great life work, delayed
until his retirement, was to write his own version of the Christian
Bible. It's called The Jefferson Bible, and he threw out over 90% of
the Christian Bible."

Old 01-22-2010, 04:06 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,626,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
The church needs more time. It's only been about fifty years since they were accomodating the remains of slavery in the United States. While the Ku Klux Klan was still in it's hay day they had two requirements for membership...White and Christian.
White and Protestant. They used "Christian" when they meant "Protestant." I know they wouldn't have been happy if Catholics wished to enter. Although I read somewhere that David Duke decided race trumped everything so started allowing Catholics in.

Anyway I actually do think that ideally churches should be integrated, but at the same time the situation is not necessarily like segregation of the past. A white woman who is a secretary at my University goes to a "black church" and was married in it. She said they were more accepting of her than her childhood church. My current priest is Burmese and to my pleasure, because I do consider the people here a bit racist, there's been no problem with that so far as I can see. I've attended Mass at Hispanic and Black parishes. You stick out a bit, but I don't think anyone made me feel uncomfortable. Certainly no-one said "this is blacks only get out."

So I think the segregation is rarely if ever any kind of enforced situation and that does make it less of a problem. If a white person wants to join the African Methodist Episcopal Church, even become a minister in it, they can. In fact I think I saw a thing on a white minister in the AME Church. I don't think the Latvian Evangelical Lutherans has any rule against black people joining either. I know of some *non-Ethiopian Eastern Orthodox Churches that have black priests. However blacks are probably just not that interested in being Latvian Lutheran or Greek Orthodox or Polish National Catholics. Likewise whites are probably just not that interested in being AME Church or whatever. Still as I'm a Catholic I would lean a bit against religion being ethnic or national. Granted Catholics do this as much as anyone, but ideally I think we're really not supposed to except in so much as there are certain Eastern rites. What the Protestants or Orthodox do is their business more or less.

*I know Ethiopian Christianity is actually Oriental Orthodox, but you know.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,004,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't see this as anything racially motivated but rather the passing along of religious traditions that have existed for many generations. I also see nothing wrong with this situation and nothing that needs to be fixed. Black churches often have beautiful gospel music as well as more modern blends of music. White churches tend to be more influenced by European classical music and composers such as Bach and the atmosphere is probably much more subdued. It's just a different cultural approach to their religious faith and part of the patchwork of American society. I actually see it as a positive thing because it would be pretty dull if every church service were the same.
Well they are just sterotypes. I used to go to a church that was at least 90 - 95% white and they had the same characteristics as beautiful gospel music was well as more modern blends of music, and the atmosphere was much less subdued than other churches I used to attend at that point. Thats becuase it was a large pentecostal church.

I dont live in the US, yet I went to church that was at least 80% Asian and the style of worship and the way the preaching was preached and the language that was taught there was no different from other churches that is the same denomination that is predominately white.

Last edited by other99; 01-22-2010 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: add words

Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,319,334 times
Quote:
A Gallup Poll Social Audit on black/white relations in 1997* showed that blacks in America had relatively high levels of contact with whites across a variety of settings. Blacks lived with, worked with, and sent their kids to school with whites, and they had close friends who were white. The one exception was worship -- Sunday church service was still the "most segregated hour" in America.

Seventy-three percent of whites, according to this audit, attended mostly white or all-white churches, while 7% attended churches that were approximately half white and half black. Virtually no whites attended churches that were mostly or all black. Among blacks, 71% attended mostly or all-black churches, while 13% attended churches that were equally black and white, and 6% went to churches that were mostly or all white.

The Most Segregated Hour

Well I find it very strange that blacks have their own churchs and whites have their own churches in the USA. I never see anywhere where Jesus endorses racial
While this is true we have to understand and see why this is true. I for one could care less what church I worship at because attending church is not to see people, but to be there to worship God. But I prefer to be in the type of worship that is more upbeat (music) people who are not scared to dance for the Lord and other things. So, if you notice most black church depending on the denom. are more upbeat, dancing is normal and service is centered more toward worship.

Now, I am not saying that white churches don't do that, I am saying that most white churches services are different in form of worship. The service is more laid back, quiet calm in nature in woship. There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone worships differently and I think that is the beauty of it.

But I feel that is part of the reason the church is looked at as black or white church. There is a culture difference when it comes to worship. On average blacks worship different than whites. But not all the time. I have been around white people that worship the same as someone who is black.

So, you see it is not the white or black thing, it is the culture difference. Not race, someone white can grow up around black people and worship just like them and prefer that type of worship. I have seen some blacks that do not like upbeat worship and are really quiet, because that is how they were raised. A black person can be raised up around white people and worship just like them.

Now, I only use the term black and white church because that is being used here in this form and to help people understand where I am coming from.

I don't believe in black or white churches, because the church belongs to Christ and it is His church, not a black or white or native church. When Jesus comes back to get His church, He want be looking for a white, black, baptist church, but His church, and His people.

So, I feel that the reason people stick with their so called white or black church is because of the worship that is preferred by them. But there are some people that may only want to stick with people they feel comfortable around and that just may be their race. If that is their reason, then they have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality