Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 AM

64,133 posts, read 40,463,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As you say, science doesn't have the answer. So why run with the assumption that it is genetic? Or that it's any more or less moral than any other sexual sin, such as fornication, adultery or pedophilia? Is the homosexual an animal that cannot control their passions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you are not 100% celibate are you "an animal that cannot control their passions"???You are a real piece of work, Vizio.
Quote:
No. Sex is certainly a gift from God and is to be enjoyed within marriage.
Then WHY on God's green earth would you deny marriage to those who seek it to enjoy this gift from God that you enjoy?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,281,535 times
Quote:
Then WHY on God's green earth would you deny marriage to those who seek it to enjoy this gift from God that you enjoy?????
Why on earth would you think it's up to us to allow or deny? God clearly created marriage as a man and a woman. What makes you think the created being has the ability to dictate to the creator?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,696,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If a man masturbates, does that mean he's a homosexual?
In The World According To Gldn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Funny you should say that. One of the main biblical verses used in modern times to bash gay people (1 Cor 6:9), was used for hundreds of years to condemn masturbators, not homosexuals.

The first time that a translator used the word 'homosexuals' (incorrectly) in an English version was in 1947.

You can still find the verse interpreted as condemning masturbators as late as 1967 in the Catholic Encyclopedia.
I only use the Bible for general philosophy (best ever: Love Each Other & Treat Others the Way You'd Want Them to Treat You)...not for dogmatic "rules". Same with any other text of that genre.

There is nothing "wrong" or "bad" about homosexuality or masturbation...or anybody who indulges in either or both.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Im not sure about the biological imperatives and all that...I get the point, I just think that part is mostly self explanatory/common sense...but youre right that sexuality is a choice...all sexuality, fetishes included...and irrespective of religion...I just find it strange that even if you agree to disagree on that point, people still go apesh*t about you having that outlook...even when you clearly support the rights of gays to live their lives as they choose....its like, who cares whether you think its a choice or not, or if you agree with their every opinion on the issue, if you just want them to be happy with their lives and support their right to live as they choose?
Someone that "gets it" ^^!!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,697,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
For what it's worth, I stand by my original post. When I started this thread so long ago I would not have imagined the world we live in changing as much as it has. I am extremely thankful God, in His mercy helped me get out of that life. It was difficult, very difficult, but I made it and on the other side.

I think people who disagree with my worldview don't understand that this is a spiritual battle. Scoff if you will because I know many will but God can bring us out of anything, IF it's something we are willing to come out of.
Hi Hoosier, long time no see. Glad to hear you are doing OK. I'm not doubting it was a spiritual battle, however many bisexuals are in heterosexual marriages, and have strong, lasting relationships.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 AM

64,133 posts, read 40,463,715 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why on earth would you think it's up to us to allow or deny?
Because it is you and your ilk who are denying it in your support of and promotion of DOMA, State Constitution amendments, etc. . . . or do you NOT support those prohibitions ???

Old 10-25-2014, 01:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,972,780 times
Quote:
And some of us have a great deal of enjoyment of sex "without the benefit of clergy".

Quote:
But the question is in regards to people that apparently think they are unable to control their urges. Are we supposed to give a free pass to the guy that has sex outside of marriage any more or less based on their partner's gender?
You bet. I happen to enjoy my relationships I have outside of marriage. I am serial monogamous, which is more than can be said by many christians who may be married, but are serial adulterers. Who is more moral, someone like me who believes in a monogamous relationship and never has been outside of one, or the christian who talks the story and yet is commits adultery without abandon?

I submit my sexual practices are much more moral than that christian's. My girlfriends from the past 16 years would agree with me. We get tested for STDs before getting sexually involved which is more than most adulterers who bring back STDs to their spouse. Who is more moral?

My sexual practices do not harm society one bit, do they? The adulterer's certainly does.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Because it is you and your ilk who are denying it in your support of and promotion of DOMA, State Constitution amendments, etc. . . . or do you NOT support those prohibitions ???
In line with this "sidebar" within this thread...Vizio and I were discussing this in the past...this was a comment I made on the issue. Just my opinion, of course:
Considering the failure rate of "marriage", it almost seems that this would be a better way to go from a civil/legal standpoint. As it is now...it's just a windfall for divorce attorneys, and a "make-work" set-up for the government personnel.
Leave "marriage" as a religious/sacred/spiritual thing...that has no legal effect. Get the government out of it.

From a legal standpoint...just file civil unions...that spell out everything.
General estate/probate/survivorship laws and other "spousal rights" under law probably don't conform exactly to ones wishes anyway. Create a document that is filed that customizes it so there is no questions about what each wants in all possible situations.
No one wouldn't be eligible. Let anyone "union" with anyone else (of age) they want.

If people want a religious ceremony like a "wedding", they could have that...but without it having any secular legal standing.

NOTE: I'm talking about the U.S. here.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And some of us have a great deal of enjoyment of sex "without the benefit of clergy".
I fully recognize that. I never said it wasn't fun.
Quote:

You bet. I happen to enjoy my relationships I have outside of marriage. I am serial monogamous, which is more than can be said by many christians who may be married, but are serial adulterers. Who is more moral, someone like me who believes in a monogamous relationship and never has been outside of one, or the christian who talks the story and yet is commits adultery without abandon?

I submit my sexual practices are much more moral than that christian's. My girlfriends from the past 16 years would agree with me. We get tested for STDs before getting sexually involved which is more than most adulterers who bring back STDs to their spouse. Who is more moral?

My sexual practices do not harm society one bit, do they? The adulterer's certainly does.
You're off-topic. Good for you that you get tested. The question though, was whether or not our partner's gender means we are more or less moral?

Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Whether or not our country allows it has no effect whatsoever on the morality of it, or if God considers it a valid marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality